Are 26ers dead?

Yazpeter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Parts would be no different to that used on a 29er apart from the wheels.

Maybe the old school high-end 26er wheels are hard to find but 26er is still sold new today and is a good transition for kids.

I'm trying to resurrect my old Silverback. And definitely need a new wheelset. Priced some tubeless tyres and cheapest are 599 🫣

28 minutes ago, Barry said:

Maybe the old school high-end 26er wheels are hard to find but 26er is still sold new today and is a good transition for kids.

My experience too. Try to find a high end 26er frame and they are either in the high end 29er price range, or non existant.
As for low to maybe almost mid range 26ers, not so rare!

38 minutes ago, Barry said:

I see far too many kids on 29ers, where the saddle is as low as it can go.
The reach is so long, they're stretching for the bars.
It can't be good for their development, let alone safety/handling.

55 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I see far too many kids on 29ers, where the saddle is as low as it can go.
The reach is so long, they're stretching for the bars.
It can't be good for their development, let alone safety/handling.

This is so true. I think it is a common mindset that patients seem to think that kid's bikes should last longer and kid's must grow into them as they will not replace the bike next year or whenever. 

I suppose I should ask myself is trying to save my 1st mtb worth stacks of money or should I just get a 29er? I love the control I have with a 26er feels like I can jump and turn in an instance. I've even consider getting a dual sus 26er because... It's a 26er lol 

36 minutes ago, Yazpeter said:

I suppose I should ask myself is trying to save my 1st mtb worth stacks of money or should I just get a 29er? I love the control I have with a 26er feels like I can jump and turn in an instance. I've even consider getting a dual sus 26er because... It's a 26er lol 

Im still running my 2010 Commencal Meta 55 Team, 26er, dual sus. ive done quite a few upgrades to it over time and tbh its quite a lot of fun now.

750mm bars, 180mm discs front and rear, LTWOO 1x12 (11-51) with a 32T chainring. Dropper post, Saint flat pedals, Schwlabe Knobby Nic 2.4"s, Fox CTD shock. Forks are still the original Fox 32RL 150mm but full serviced. 

My only issue is that I am quite tall, even with the large frame the bike feels lightly too small for me :( 

Other than that its been pretty awesome and really fun to learn on. 

26er aint dead but you can really make them into something quite capable until you are ready for a 29er, which is what my plan is.

Nice thing about the 26er market is that parts are usually pretty cheap second hand and there is a lot of it around! 

As for Tyres, if you want something decent youll have to import. Most shops seem to only stock XC style tyres these days...

Edited by Graham S

36 minutes ago, Yazpeter said:

Get a 29er but keep the old 26er the right part will pop up one day then you have 2 toys.