How many crashes does it take . . . ?

Robbie Stewart

The same problem is in the back of my head all the time. The thing is if you're on a bike you can have a bad fall at very low speed and on a good road. I've been on a MTB for 11 years. Aug 2021 I fell on a trail, a level piece at 5 km/ h 'testing' my front brake after a service. The handle bar popped two ribs.

Fast forward one year. Same trails I'm following some guys on new red section, against my better judgement. Rocky , one hop too many, three ribs gone . 

I was 64 then . 

I will not stop riding but I am trying to be more aware and avoid really tech stuff. A skills course may also be on the cards.

Edited by Blokman

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Morning all,

I’ve had some serious crashes in the last couple of years. 2018 Fractured 3x vertebrae and was out for almost the entire year just recovering. Last year broke 2 ribs coming down the back of Hoogies. I’m 40 now and I have no plan on stopping cycling. But there definitely comes a point where you have to weight up the rewards vs the impact of your sport. I’m not 16 anymore and my body can’t handle taking the big hits anymore. So like so many posted just dial it back a little to be more in control. Also it’s very tempting when you see your mates or the younger crowd doing the gap jumps and whipping through the turns. To suddenly disregard safty or your skill level and taking on more than you can handle.

All I can say in my experience is learn the trails before you bomb down them. If it’s a new trail walk the line and make sure you know what you getting into. And happy cycling to everyone out there.  

Edited by Willhelm

36 minutes ago, Headshot said:

What bike are you on? If its more trail than enduro that could account for some crashes if you're exceeding its capabilities. That said a Status might be a move in the right direction. The other thing is to upskill, be it by watching tutorials or coaching. 

Never stop riding!

Spez Camber Comp 29. It's the middle point between being a Stumpy and a Epic. I ride it like it wants to be a Status. This is why I know that I shall never be so dumb to think I can ride it down the Plumber.

That bike has done it's dues, but it has now reached the upper limits of what I am allowed to do on it. You can see in my avatar pic what I am asking of it and my size for reference. I believe the Status is the next logical step. I won't go for anything burlier than that, as I am fully intending to dial down the ratchet from about 9/10 to maybe a 7/10.

I do not intend to stop riding after all the responses. I used to surf for many years at Vicbay, and one Saturday afternoon I paddled out into a solid 6 - 8 foot swell, endured a 3 wave hold down and nearly drowned despite having live saving skill. I made my way back to the beach and decided I'm done surfing. That was in 2009. I still regret stopping, and I am considering a mini-mal to start again.

1 hour ago, Trashy said:

What I took from this thread is that I must crash as much as I can now before reaching 40 in a few years.

Got it.

.. just stay upright and enjoy the school of hard knocks and always have a good brain bucket! (MIPSM) Maybe It Potentially Saves Me) 🤪

29 minutes ago, betaboy said:

.. just stay upright and enjoy the school of hard knocks and always have a good brain bucket! (MIPSM) Maybe It Potentially Saves Me) 🤪

When I fell my face off in 2020 (yes needed some plastic surgery to get my lip in the right place again 🤣) I pushed my shoulder out the back, my collar bones are obviously made of adamantium, was literally a bloody mess. - bike was ok.

Im still not sure where and what my face hit, but the funny part is, my helmet did not have a single scratch on it, not even the visor came off. So sometimes not even a helmet helps haha. A full face might have.

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Spez Camber Comp 29. It's the middle point between being a Stumpy and a Epic. I ride it like it wants to be a Status. This is why I know that I shall never be so dumb to think I can ride it down the Plumber.

That bike has done it's dues, but it has now reached the upper limits of what I am allowed to do on it. You can see in my avatar pic what I am asking of it and my size for reference. I believe the Status is the next logical step. I won't go for anything burlier than that, as I am fully intending to dial down the ratchet from about 9/10 to maybe a 7/10.

I do not intend to stop riding after all the responses. I used to surf for many years at Vicbay, and one Saturday afternoon I paddled out into a solid 6 - 8 foot swell, endured a 3 wave hold down and nearly drowned despite having live saving skill. I made my way back to the beach and decided I'm done surfing. That was in 2009. I still regret stopping, and I am considering a mini-mal to start again.

I think the Status or some other slackish long travel bike will do wonders for your dh speed, safety and fun. The Camber has really dated geo by today's standards...

17 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

My worst falls have all been while going fairly slowly, both on my bicycle and motorcycle... moral of the story... SEND IT 🤙🙄

when in doubt, go flat out

At the age of 54 I was trying to beat Strava downhill times on a MTB in some places where I ride. It was fun. Now that I'm 58, I think "Hmmm... I'd like to ride this again tomorrrow. No need to go like absolute hell today." And now I almost never fall.

I'm pleased to hear that there are guys on their fifties and sixties still sending it in their own way.

I was afraid that maybe I'm reaching the plateau where I need to start wearing lycra and needing to worry about whether I've charged my lights for that early morning outride before work instead of pushing the boundaries on the weekends. :ph34r: :D

I'm 56, been racing bikes since 1984 including mountain bikes since 1989. Paid my first visit to hospital ever about 8 months ago, but I did it properly - broke my femur in a freak fall on the last obstacle on the last singletrack on the way home after a ride with mates. Big surgery with pin and screws (a la Chris Froome), 8 weeks before I could walk without crutches (but I was on the trainer at 6 weeks :)). After initially thinking I would never ride again I am back on the bike and recently matched my FTP (ramp) power test of 6 months before the crash. I'm still doing rehab and still have pain, but it keeps getting better. I've had many minor crashes and close calls over the years, but this was a huge wake up call. It made me think a lot about taking risks on the bike. I was at the point where I was riding quite aggressively, riding a bike a size too small (faster!) and tyres without much grip (lighter!). So now I have a larger frame, grippier tyres, taller cockpit and a healthier respect for what could go wrong. Having to relearn the lines on familiar trails but taking it easy and having fun with huge appreciation for being able to keep doing this beautiful thing that we all do. Keep riding.