Internal routing - all it's cracked up to be?

NotSoBigBen

35 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

Spent an hour on a bike today just to replace a rear cable inner and outer.

Had to remove the fork, strip down headset area, drop the lower bolts for the rear shock, just to get a new internal cable brought.

Bloody pain for mechanics, but hey “it looks so clean”

Would it make your life easier if you could "tie" the new outer the old outer, then gently push-pull to thread it through the frame ?

20230413_183602.jpg.94b61b4262ffdd34296df5f9e61850b1.jpg

Thread cut ontona 2,4mm SS rod.  Really handy 👍

Edited by ChrisF

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Would it make your life easier if you could "tie" the new outer the old outer, then gently push-pull to thread it through the frame ?

20230413_183602.jpg.94b61b4262ffdd34296df5f9e61850b1.jpg

Thread cut ontona 2,4mm SS rod.  Really handy 👍

I have all the tools one could wish for, on this particular bike it made no difference, the dumbest of angles through the headset and the most dumb angle around one of the shock bolts to run it in to the gap which takes it through the rear stay.

23 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

See 😎 - ain't nobody got time for that 😜

I swear these bike manufacturers think of the aftermarket service as an afterthought sometimes.

Pfffffffft ….

4 minutes ago, Wyatt Earp said:

I have all the tools one could wish for, on this particular bike it made no difference, the dumbest of angles through the headset and the most dumb angle around one of the shock bolts to run it in to the gap which takes it through the rear stay.

New Spark ??

Seems like some sharp angles ... which is such a bad idea in an era of marginal gains ....

Apparently some ebikes require part removal of the motor to get to the space where some cables are run ...

I often have the rear inner and outer replaced at a major service .... these fun bits totalle distorts a time based quote ...

44 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

New Spark ??

Seems like some sharp angles ... which is such a bad idea in an era of marginal gains ....

Apparently some ebikes require part removal of the motor to get to the space where some cables are run ...

I often have the rear inner and outer replaced at a major service .... these fun bits totalle distorts a time based quote ...

Was thinking the new spark as well. I'm a huge Scott fanboy but when the day comes for a soft tail then I'll 100% go for the previous gen Spark, just for the ease of mind when wanting to service the bike. 

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

New Spark ??

Exactly that brand.

The team they used in that must have never worked on bicycles for a living.

Was developed by designers.

The older bikes that had internal cabling yes that was a pain but every problem has a solution.

On the new frames its as simple as sticking it in one side and it comes out the other. (unless you have a Scott) 

I like that my bike has 1 piece housing from shifter to derailleur. It last much longer than on my Scott that had some cable inside and then exposed cable and a small piece of housing. I changed cables every 3 months to keep gears working smooth. 

The brake hose running through the frame I both like and dislike. I like the clean look but every time you want to remove or change brakes you have to cut it and fit new olives. Yes this is obviously not often so the clean look wins😁

10 hours ago, Frosty said:

Sounds like a Rand Lover to me; remove half the engine bay to get to a part. Nice to look though.

I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but for anything more than a service, the mechanics found it quicker and easier to remove the entire body from the chassis to work on the Landies.

13 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Even If A Frame has Internal Routing You Don't have to Use It If you don't Want To.

Old School is the Best School.

Yes ................ old's cool 🤘

I have kinda gotten used to my rattling cables inside my carbon MTB, but it is a PITA.

Choices, choices

AXS shifters for the win. I am also shying away from dropper levers on the bars.

I love the way he says Colorado not a wet climate and rust is not an issue. BUT, they do salt roads in Colorado, which is the worst thing for rust. Also bikes in Colorado tend to spend a few months on a trainer, which also is the worst thing you can do to a headset bearing. But that is just me speculating

20 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

An engineer (and a designer) will walk past a dozen virgins to screw a mechanic. 

Bliksem ou koffie deur die neus en orals 🤣🤣🤣