Is the 2nd hand market dead?

Jacko18

2 minutes ago, Jacko18 said:

I honestly did not expect an argument.  Its disappointing that my first thread turned into this lol

Yeah, unfortunately there are are a few guys who think they own BikeHub coz they've been around for years and think that everything they say is golden...and tackle newbies for their point of view. Just like going into a boutique bike shop and being treated like an ignoramus.

BikeHub mafia...me thinks.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

The Rand hits 24 to The Pound. It's very bad for the Bike Market and the Economy as a Whole.

Could have a Positive Effect on the Second Hand Market.

And the dollar is at R19 to a dollar. That's very bad for the economy but as you said very good for the second hand market.

19 minutes ago, robbybzgo said:

Yeah, unfortunately there are are a few guys who think they own BikeHub coz they've been around for years and think that everything they say is golden...and tackle newbies for their point of view. Just like going into a boutique bike shop and being treated like an ignoramus.

BikeHub mafia...me thinks.

Now that makes sense.  Thanks!!

24 minutes ago, Jacko18 said:

It has to do with high ridiculous prices right?? New and 2nd hand. It's just insane.  A top of the range groupset used to be quite affordable.  Now look at the price if a top of the range groups.  About the same price as a top of the range full bike from only a couple years ago.  The rich want to get richer.  But I'm not saying these companies sell useless stuff. It's not.  It's amazing stuff. But I feel that it is overpriced nowadays compared to only a little while ago.

Over what period of time are you comparing for the groupsets? I’m genuinely curious because I find they are more affordable recently, so much so I have in the last 3 months gotten two axs xx1 groupsets after running gx and xx1 mechanical groupsets from covid times. 

36 minutes ago, Jacko18 said:

I'm trying to think how it being my first thread has anything to do with anything.... I just can't figure it out. Thread lurker or not.  Insult or not.  It is not relevant at all. Why do you think I won't partake in my thread? Only because I won't discuss it with a bully? Also, trying to see how that now means I won't partake at all......

Here is how my 5 years worth will teach you. Ready? 

Lol.  I don't discuss it with a bully.  

Point out one bit where I insulted you and I'll totally take it back unconditionally.

I'm addressing the exact opic you raised. 

48 minutes ago, Scott roy said:

Over what period of time are you comparing for the groupsets? I’m genuinely curious because I find they are more affordable recently, so much so I have in the last 3 months gotten two axs xx1 groupsets after running gx and xx1 mechanical groupsets from covid times. 

Specifically road groupsets hey

41 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Point out one bit where I insulted you and I'll totally take it back unconditionally.

I'm addressing the exact opic you raised. 

Armchair economist. 

11 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Women brawl with handbags outside Doncaster races with one ...

first world problems . . .

@Matt and co obviously enjoying this one enough to let it go to friday haha. Honestly surprised it got this far. These lot have been at it the whole day and  it took all my willpower not to participate - but then i also like to watch the world burn so theres that haha

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

Hi, my name is Morné…

And i’m here to get this thread locked.

Like with the red kind

😅

You KNOW the big red button ..... just ask for comments to be allowed in that other unmentionable section ...

20 minutes ago, thebob said:

If you think that is an insult then I think you need to grow a thicker skin 😳

So you saying I am sensative? I have a thin skin? Or even delicate?. Well now I'm heavily insulted.  And offended.  Another bully in the house 

On 5/9/2023 at 6:17 PM, Jacko18 said:

Is the 2nd hand bicycle market dead? Due to high and unrealistic prices. Which is no doubt due to new bicycle prices being so high for even low specced bikes. 

As well as disk being the mainstream now.  Rim isn't sure where it fits in. But 2nd hand prices still seem very very high. 

And are people perhaps paying these prices, because cycling is become ever more popular?  

My exposure to bike prices is limited ebikes.  Time wise February 2020 to now.  Each year I get an updated quote for the replacement cost, for insurance purposes.

In this very limited field I observed the following:

1. Normal price trend in the months leading up to March 2020.

2.Reasonable stock levels ....

3. In the R80k price range you got XT/GX level components, on the 2019 spec bikes.

4. 2020 spec started dropping spec level to NX ... for the same price ...

5. About 40% price increase in the next 12 months, and no stock ....

6. Right now Bike Addict still shows the same recommended prices as in 2021.  (I have not checked the current component specs)

7.  Most importantly .... Bike Addict, and most other bike shops, now show big diacounts on these list prices !!

Quick glance at these bikes on the Hub .... prices are all over the show !!!!  From 40% of purchase price up to 90%.  Okay, that is 90% of the current price at CWC or Bike Addict ... the seller probably paid 15 to 25k more a few months back.

The perception of what constitutes a good price is going to be vastly different for that seller and a buyer that has done his homework.

The re-sellers had a good run .... but may well get unstuck now ....

During 2022 a couple of threads asked when the bubble will burst .... some may say we are close to this point.

4 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

My exposure to bike prices is limited ebikes.  Time wise February 2020 to now.  Each year I get an updated quote for the replacement cost, for insurance purposes.

In this very limited field I observed the following:

1. Normal price trend in the months leading up to March 2020.

2.Reasonable stock levels ....

3. In the R80k price range you got XT/GX level components, on the 2019 spec bikes.

4. 2020 spec started dropping spec level to NX ... for the same price ...

5. About 40% price increase in the next 12 months, and no stock ....

6. Right now Bike Addict still shows the same recommended prices as in 2021.  (I have not checked the current component specs)

7.  Most importantly .... Bike Addict, and most other bike shops, now show big diacounts on these list prices !!

Quick glance at these bikes on the Hub .... prices are all over the show !!!!  From 40% of purchase price up to 90%.  Okay, that is 90% of the current price at CWC or Bike Addict ... the seller probably paid 15 to 25k more a few months back.

The perception of what constitutes a good price is going to be vastly different for that seller and a buyer that has done his homework.

The re-sellers had a good run .... but may well get unstuck now ....

During 2022 a couple of threads asked when the bubble will burst .... some may say we are close to this point.

Loved this post.  Thanks!