Is the 2nd hand market dead?

Jacko18

19 hours ago, Jacko18 said:

You try to insult me, and then expect me to entertain you?

Sure, let's have a civil conversation. But not if you try insult me.  Well done on turning a fun chat into your bullying room. Or at least trying.  

okee dokee. if that was seen as an attempt at an insult then shoo wee [insert actual insult about snowflakes].

Did you get the bit where:

a)don't judge the market on sale prices

b)bikes listed at too high a price won't sell, or get sold at a much lower value once negotations on the transaction are concluded and the casual observer won;t see this - hence a)

c)the general impression seems to be that the value of 2nd hand bikes has dropped significantly in the past 18months. Which is contrary to your impressions due to a)?

So for someone who spends a lot of time monitoring bikehub sale values (your words) maybe decide if you want to be insulted or educated.

ps. I'm pretending I need to scratch my N+1, there's no budget or requirement but it's triggered by an older model 2nd hand DS here that is in good nick going for 35% of its new value. bargain time!

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

okee dokee. if that was seen as an attempt at an insult then shoo wee [insert actual insult about snowflakes].

Did you get the bit where:

a)don't judge the market on sale prices

b)bikes listed at too high a price won't sell, or get sold at a much lower value once negotations on the transaction are concluded and the casual observer won;t see this - hence a)

c)the general impression seems to be that the value of 2nd hand bikes has dropped significantly in the past 18months. Which is contrary to your impressions due to a)?

So for someone who spends a lot of time monitoring bikehub sale values (your words) maybe decide if you want to be insulted or educated.

ps. I'm pretending I need to scratch my N+1, there's no budget or requirement but it's triggered by an older model 2nd hand DS here that is in good nick going for 35% of its new value. bargain time!

I got halfway on Pont A and then stopped. 

Let me leave you with this... you don't know my life.  What if I told you that I have been buying and selling for over 5 years? 

Cheers. 

Quality sells at higher prices , but for the average it is lower .High end bike are not found in shops anymore ,they appear in the used market . 

19 hours ago, Matt said:

Is the second hand market dead? No, but it is slowing after an over-heated 2020/2021 where demand was high and new supply was scarce. 

We've got some very blunt, but reliable data to look at that paints a picture of supply & demand on Bike Hub. 

Supply (sort-of): New ads created per month (excludes re-listed ads in a given month)
image.png

Demand: Unique leads created per month
image.png

New ads created per month is slowing steadily, but the level of interest in ads (contact made with sellers dropped off considerably after Q1 2022. 

Not dead, but slowing. And there's much talk of over-supply of new bikes in the pipelines + slow moving stock already on shop floors and in warehouses. That will put more pressure on the secondhand market if prices of new bikes are discounted to move stock. A reverse on what we saw in 2020/2021.

Will it kill the second hand market? I wouldn't say so, especially not if you're a buyer with further pressure on prices.

“contact made with sellers dropped off considerably after Q1 2022”

Could this be more first contact on WhatsApp and not BikeHub messenger?

As you say this is blunt data, but would like to see something more granular mapping indoor trainers and the start of winter weather, road bikes in exchange for gravel bikes and the uptake on gravel events (and potentially the decline in MTB?). 

I consider myself a frequent trader on BikeHub and can honestly say that in my category or “taste” of things, I’ve not seen a slow down of product availability nor sellers that are mega negotiable. (I honestly don’t even try the BikeMarket-Low Ball anymore at the risk of being shunned by other hubbers 😝).

22 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I'm Items are not going for a "steal", they are going for what they are worth.

This is where the disconnect is in his thinking. He is saying things are going for a "steal," but the "steal" is relative to his perceived value of said items. And that perception is too high. 

4 hours ago, Jacko18 said:

Let me leave you with this... you don't know my life.  What if I told you that I have been buying and selling for over 5 years? 

Cheers. 

Point A isn't wrong. Surely if you've been buying and selling for 5 years you'll know that the for sale price, and actual selling price often differs? Shebeen is implying that you can't use the Listed prices as gospel. 

15 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

This is where the disconnect is in his thinking. He is saying things are going for a "steal," but the "steal" is relative to his perceived value of said items. And that perception is too high. 

Point A isn't wrong. Surely if you've been buying and selling for 5 years you'll know that the for sale price, and actual selling price often differs? Shebeen is implying that you can't use the Listed prices as gospel. 

I just stopped at point A.  Didn't sat I disagreed..... 

Let's start a new Topic called "Cyclists Arguing about ARB STUFF" where you guys can take your personal arguments that don't further the discussion but just keep furthering your own individual Points of View...

Everyone's perspective is different coz no buyer/seller has the same interactions with the same clients as another buyer/seller.

As I have learnt when attending auctions, I can get items for a bargain if no one else bids on it. Yet if a few people are bidding, the price rockets. So to, if your product is desirable then it will attract a good price AND conversely if there is no-one looking for your product at that time then it will sit no matter what the price.

You just can't compare your individual buying/selling experiences and declare them as GOSPEL!

5 hours ago, Jacko18 said:

Cheers. 

Welcome lurker.

c a l m    d o w n

I see this is the only thread you've posted in, so that's not actually an insult. Someone who sets up an account and sits on the sidelines for years before commenting is known as a "thread lurker". True story, not an insult (unless you want it to be one).

but yes you are right, I don't know you. But if you start a topic but then refuse to engage in the discussion on it if it's not going your way then I'll never know you.  Nor will anyone else.

Here's the bit where you could tell us about your experience from 5 years of wheeling and dealing bikestuff, it could add to the collective knowledge and we all learn something.

14 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Hi, my name is Morné…

And i’m here to get this thread locked.

Like with the red kind

😅

The Rand hits 24 to The Pound. It's very bad for the Bike Market and the Economy as a Whole.

Could have a Positive Effect on the Second Hand Market.

59 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Welcome lurker.

c a l m    d o w n

I see this is the only thread you've posted in, so that's not actually an insult. Someone who sets up an account and sits on the sidelines for years before commenting is known as a "thread lurker". True story, not an insult (unless you want it to be one).

but yes you are right, I don't know you. But if you start a topic but then refuse to engage in the discussion on it if it's not going your way then I'll never know you.  Nor will anyone else.

Here's the bit where you could tell us about your experience from 5 years of wheeling and dealing bikestuff, it could add to the collective knowledge and we all learn something.

I'm trying to think how it being my first thread has anything to do with anything.... I just can't figure it out. Thread lurker or not.  Insult or not.  It is not relevant at all. Why do you think I won't partake in my thread? Only because I won't discuss it with a bully? Also, trying to see how that now means I won't partake at all......

Here is how my 5 years worth will teach you. Ready? 

Lol.  I don't discuss it with a bully.  

Just now, Jacko18 said:

I'm trying to think how it being my first thread has anything to do with anything.... I just can't figure it out. Thread lurker or not.  Insult or not.  It is not relevant at all. Why do you think I won't partake in my thread? Only because I won't discuss it with a bully? Also, trying to see how that now means I won't partake at all......

Here is how my 5 years worth will teach you. Ready? 

Lol.  I don't discuss it with a bully.  

The Rand hits 24 to The Pound. It's very bad for the Bike Market and the Economy as a Whole.

Could have a Positive Effect on the Second Hand Market.

22 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

The Bike Shops are also feeling the pain.

Ask Around !

It has to do with high ridiculous prices right?? New and 2nd hand. It's just insane.  A top of the range groupset used to be quite affordable.  Now look at the price if a top of the range groups.  About the same price as a top of the range full bike from only a couple years ago.  The rich want to get richer.  But I'm not saying these companies sell useless stuff. It's not.  It's amazing stuff. But I feel that it is overpriced nowadays compared to only a little while ago.

1 hour ago, robbybzgo said:

Let's start a new Topic called "Cyclists Arguing about ARB STUFF" where you guys can take your personal arguments that don't further the discussion but just keep furthering your own individual Points of View...

Everyone's perspective is different coz no buyer/seller has the same interactions with the same clients as another buyer/seller.

As I have learnt when attending auctions, I can get items for a bargain if no one else bids on it. Yet if a few people are bidding, the price rockets. So to, if your product is desirable then it will attract a good price AND conversely if there is no-one looking for your product at that time then it will sit no matter what the price.

You just can't compare your individual buying/selling experiences and declare them as GOSPEL!

I honestly did not expect an argument.  Its disappointing that my first thread turned into this lol