Magalies monster - delivered for some riders🤣

Japie Nieuwoudt

Feel that the Monster has turned into the fans of how hard it is and the lets do it once for the check list.

Given that we're seeing a downturn in new cycling numbers generally, makes sense that numbers are dwindling.

Also fair amount of people don't want to deal with the potential bike damage that comes from a 'Hard Technical Event/Gnar.'.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, MilkManMike said:

Magalies Monster is one of the races I really miss living in the Cape, and probably the only one day race I would consider going up north for. That’s a proper MTB race. 

I’ve done the Monster 3 times, and enjoyed it each time (on a 26” nogal).

The FastOne in the south is quickly becoming a challenging race too. It might have a lot of flat sections, but that just means the pace is higher. The climb is rideable by semi-skilled riders, and walkable for those not so gifted/trained.

Do not know the route of the monster now, but the "old" Monster as mentioned in this thread was tough, even the shorter 45km. Last time I did the event was in 2018 with the shortened route but was also tough.

The monster is known to many as the hardest one day MTB event due to the the tough technical climbs as well as the technical descents. Trailseeker events are more aimed to the average rider with average skill set whereas the Monster on the other side will test your technical ability.

42 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

Feel that the Monster has turned into the fans of how hard it is and the lets do it once for the check list.

Given that we're seeing a downturn in new cycling numbers generally, makes sense that numbers are dwindling.

Also fair amount of people don't want to deal with the potential bike damage that comes from a 'Hard Technical Event/Gnar.'.

Well, there are tons of gravel races calling themselves MTB races to accomodate those riders. The monster has never tried to appeal to that sort of rider, and I am glad to hear they still sticking to what the event has always been.

Its not called the Monster for nothing!!Hard on the body & bikes from the start of this race many years ago.Its Your choice if you want to enter and ride a Hard race or just a easy Sani2C.

Horses for Courses!!

Ho , all

Thanks for the feedback . I didnt sent the post to be sarcastic or to get critisizem on what tipe or rider i am. I am certainly not a newbie and try to support all the local events as i can , for myself and as a family sport.  I know thay all the routs differ , even on road as well. YES i am a roady as well stating in the second reply that i want it to be a road race profile

What i was saying is that i feel that the organizers can do a bit more to the route to make it a bit more attractive for first time monster riders to come back next year.  This was my second monster.There was nothing wrong with the markings as well as the waterpoints. Just all the sections in the climbes wat were scetchy to ride out . Yes , i am one of those guys that look after my bikes and dont want to do unnessesary damage to my bike. I know before someone says its MTB , yes it is but there are limits to a ridable and non ridable mtb track. Last year i could ride all the climbes .  The Monster on rhe last 50 odd meters i couldnt , was to tough for me elevation wize. I came back to conquer it and i did but the rocky parts ons the last climbes lSt quater i couldbt because of all the rocks. And last year is did ride it out. Looks like i have to train this year to conquer the rocky sections and not the Monster. 

Also because of my post ,  under the tent , there were alot of guys complaining about the same thing , also not newbies, saying that the rock section is getting worse and unridable and thet they concider not to come back next yeat. Its not just me. I am just thinking if that isnt the reason why the competators are declining. 

So ja , i didnt send the post to get butcherd , just to get your feedback on what you all think and nice pointers on improvement from fellow riders . Not sarcastic comments or guys that tries to be funny. 

2 hours ago, Ozzie NL said:

Rode my 6th monster last weekend and can honestly say that the route was probably the easiest since it's straight up Breedts. Everything was rideable with less loose gravel compared to previous years.

The "old" route up to the top was much harder with a large chunk being on single track.

Where I do agree is that the numbers have very noticeably dwindled. It used to be a big event with 1000+ riders across the different distance. Last weekend can't have been more than 250 participants. This also affects the after rider gees as there are just a lot less people swapping war stories

From the OP's post it sounds like MTB racers have become a bit soft and have started avoiding  the event because it is just too hard and technical.  I guess a balance has to be struck but it sounds like a cool event in a great part of the world. 

Well, this thread has me seriously considering planning a trip up north next year around the monster again.  Sounds like the kind of event we could do with more of. 

one sees this all over though. Most of the races are becoming very watered from a riding viewpoint due to over built/manicured trails. Even at the Enduro WC events there are riders calling for the routes to be made “friendlier”… when these guys are riding 160mm+ Enduro rigs…. When lots of guys happily hit those some trails day in day out on 130mm trail bikes.

If it wasn’t for work taking me to Europe once or twice a year in the summer, and I can link a proper alps MTB trip to that, I would have sold my Enduro bike already. I hardly ever ride it. Seriously considering it anyway and, and just renting a bike for the Alps once a year.

Sorry OP

Just going to come out and say it.

I am starting to avoid MTB marathon events these days  because I feel that they are catered for roadies.

There is nothing more frustrating that sitting behind someone on technical sections (up or down) who is struggling and just wont let you pass.

Just have a look at how these events are marketed, “family friendly”, for “everyone” etc.

However, I do believe family friendly mtb events have their place BUT I am so glad that there are “tougher” events like this still out there. The smaller field size is also more appealing to me.

This post has also made me consider looking at doing this race in the future.

Edited by Yyyy

Japie, moet jou nie te veel steur aan van die manne se kommentaar nie. Ek weet vir 'n feit hier is 'n paar van hulle wat die Monster nie eers sal kan klaar maak nie.

I think the MM exposes the 'marathon or T.I.T.S mentality' of us locals. Futher and longer is better than shorter and harder. At the braai the conversation is most of the time 'how far did you ride today'. You get a cheers if you state 'we rode about 120km on the mountain bike'. We Saffas train most of the time for these 'easier but longer' type rides so that we can brag a bit around the braai. We do not train to be able to put down the watt bombs to get up the climbs.

I accompanied a mate of mine on his first (...and last) Monster. The guy can go quite far on a mountain bike but not hard, as in you need serious power\watts put down to get up the climbs. His legs just broke off and he couldn't ride up a lot of the climbs after the Monster. 

I was surprised at the size of the batches, only 2 already says a lot. I think you have your 'harde manne' that return because they want a proper mountain bike ride and then these first timers that have done a Trailseeker marathon and think MM66 = TS70. It is these first timers that do not ever return and leaves you with the real mountain bikers and the next batch of unsuspecting first timers.

I’m sure I did (edited, maybe it was a different event in those days) MM last century (1990’s) on a fully rigid Marin Bobcat… just saying

I guess the route was easier then 🤟👍

Edited by SwissVan

6 hours ago, sias said:

This race is known as a bike breaker - my wife did it way back in 2010 I think and she said never again. As previously said - to compare this to the S2C is a bit of a brainfart...

Ek het 6 jaar terug nie so lekker grond gekoop daar met my 26er...

We rode for the fun of it, we fell, our bikes didn’t break, and we loved it.

Side-note: a big thanks to competitor 809 for helping my little girl (8) through the water on the 16km (her other parent who was riding with her was waiting with someone who got injured on the route and my kiddo decided to carry on solo). There were other competitors who also helped my girl and I’m very thankful to everyone! 

IMG_6406.jpeg.03e944b068ed914e96026b6506752b77.jpegIMG_6409.jpeg.079fe7c05be61d5c71a91d9747043859.jpegIMG_6402.jpeg.eeb81526d262af44afdb20d17166a0a5.jpegIMG_6405.jpeg.5fc713e83fc8571894532f507abff30d.jpegIMG_6384.jpeg.c27882c3e9e930ab612d89f47ba13fdc.jpegIMG_6403.jpeg.3cc3f1aca3d6f9df3255f94558207ee0.jpeg

15 minutes ago, RobynE said:

We rode for the fun of it, we fell, our bikes didn’t break, and we loved it.

Side-note: a big thanks to competitor 809 for helping my little girl (8) through the water on the 16km (her other parent who was riding with her was waiting with someone who got injured on the route and my kiddo decided to carry on solo). There were other competitors who also helped my girl and I’m very thankful to everyone! 

IMG_6406.jpeg.03e944b068ed914e96026b6506752b77.jpegIMG_6409.jpeg.079fe7c05be61d5c71a91d9747043859.jpegIMG_6402.jpeg.eeb81526d262af44afdb20d17166a0a5.jpegIMG_6405.jpeg.5fc713e83fc8571894532f507abff30d.jpegIMG_6384.jpeg.c27882c3e9e930ab612d89f47ba13fdc.jpegIMG_6403.jpeg.3cc3f1aca3d6f9df3255f94558207ee0.jpeg

Awesome man! Awesome

Can we change the thread to ‘Magalies Monster - delivered!’

Sounds like a great event as usual, it’s the one race I truly miss and would love to do again.