Looking for affordable robust gravel bike

MG22

On 7/4/2023 at 8:53 AM, thebob said:

Don't overlook the Giant Revolt. Properly tough bike, good spec and nice value for money. Out of curiosity, what size bike are you looking for?

Cycling weekly rated the giant revolt “Gravel bike overall winner 2023” —>

Ofc this is typical sponsored media, but they make some solid points on why they chose the revolt.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, thebob said:

Please come visit me in St Francis. You can drive my X6M down from Sandton 😂

IMG_0197.jpeg.e2628b10c66d22306ca3347a88d3c10e.jpeg

Daar sit jy my nou op my plek...

A Knolly and a Santa Cruz aren't same-same though... You don't walk into a fancy bike shop and pick a Knolly up off the floor because it's expensive, you have to go out and build it on purpose.

That bike is rad (although I'm still not a fan of coloured chainrings, regardless of which bike it's on)

3 hours ago, TyronLab said:

Daar sit jy my nou op my plek...

A Knolly and a Santa Cruz aren't same-same though... You don't walk into a fancy bike shop and pick a Knolly up off the floor because it's expensive, you have to go out and build it on purpose.

That bike is rad (although I'm still not a fan of coloured chainrings, regardless of which bike it's on)

No harm, no foul. I have another wheelset for that bike with a gold XX1 cassette and some gold spokes.

speaking of affordable and robust.

any tips on locally available bartape that will last on a gravel bike? seems to have more abuse than road riding.

1 minute ago, Shebeen said:

any tips on locally available bartape that will last on a gravel bike? seems to have more abuse than road riding.

I've always wondered about sliding multiple silicone grips on. Cut a square out for the lever and slide them up.

I might do this when I next need to bar tape up

7 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Supacaz and Lizzard Skins, various thicknesses as well. Not the cheapest, but I’ve had good experiences with both. Also the Ride Farr bartape is pretty hardy and sits well, not sure if it’s still available though.

On 7/11/2023 at 11:00 AM, TyronLab said:

@Titan Racing Bikes While we're on the topic, can you clarify the tyre clearance on the latest Switch models? I know the site says 700x50mm, just not sure if that's a 50mm tyre, or 50mm of space for tyres?

Also, I know the seattube sticker states 650B x 2.1 would fit. Has this been tested as I'd be interested in running it in that config (I'm assuming the Aluminium and Carbon versions are the same).

The Switch will take up to 650x2.0 tire, a 700x42c will safely fit in your Switch. The gap is 50mm.

2.0 vs 2.1, etc: this greatly depends on the manufacturer as somehow they don't all measure the same way so some tyres run narrow for their stated width.

17 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I've always wondered about sliding multiple silicone grips on. Cut a square out for the lever and slide them up.

I might do this when I next need to bar tape up

Probably be comfortable but it'll look zef .... Just don't do it 😛

If you’re not in a rush, build one up. 
You get a lot of good deals if you bide your time and keep checking

4 hours ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Probably be comfortable but it'll look zef .... Just don't do it 😛

What is Zef? 

Many moons ago I slid some silicone grips onto the drops over my bar tape. It was skitz rad on those bumps descents like Swartberg pass and cruising the greenbelts. 

I'm going to try it and see. I recon it will be the bees knees

16 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

What is Zef? 

Many moons ago I slid some silicone grips onto the drops over my bar tape. It was skitz rad on those bumps descents like Swartberg pass and cruising the greenbelts. 

I'm going to try it and see. I recon it will be the bees knees

Don't say I didn't tell you when people point and laugh 😎

10 hours ago, Titan Racing Bikes said:
The Switch will take up to 650x2.0 tire, a 700x42c will safely fit in your Switch. The gap is 50mm.

2.0 vs 2.1, etc: this greatly depends on the manufacturer as somehow they don't all measure the same way so some tyres run narrow for their stated width.

Surely that's the carbon frame only? TyronLabs question is a good one. The site says that max clearance for the alloy. 

My friend bought a switch, thinking he could put big mtb 650b 2.0s on and I don't see how that or a 700x50mm could ever fit in the back.

9 minutes ago, RossTopher said:

Surely that's the carbon frame only? TyronLabs question is a good one. The site says that max clearance for the alloy. 

My friend bought a switch, thinking he could put big mtb 650b 2.0s on and I don't see how that or a 700x50mm could ever fit in the back.

Friend rides a Switch with 650b MTB tyres, they’re at least 2.0 wide.