Bike Stolen in EC

OVERDRIVE

This had a happy ending for both the owner and the thief. 

Someone spotted the thief walking with the bike, realised it was stolen and gave him R1,500 for the bike. 

The owner was traced by and handed back. 

Although it's easy to say, the driver should have just reversed over the thief. He would have been in a whole lot of pain

15 hours ago, Ncayi said:

I consider myself as somewhat of an expert on any discourse concerning Mthatha, I was born and grew up there. It's a good thing the passenger did not get out or he would have been promptly introduced to that sharp object that was in use. 

A lot of people don't know that passing through the CBD is a definite no no. There is always bumper to bumper traffic that basically makes you a sitting duck if you have any valuables in your car. There is a bypass that allows you to skip all that mess and also save a lot if time.  Bikes or not, I never drive through the CBD when I go back home.

Until a decade ago I was doing loads of work in Mthatha and throughout Mpuma Kapa, and previously while working with the Health Department our health commission team took occupation of Mathanzima’s hilltop state residence in '94 and ’95.  Perhaps the thinking was “just put the mlungu's team in the apartheid palace”.  

I am eternally grateful to the elderly gentleman who sidled up to me in central Mthatha during a work visit to that city in 2010.  I may have been married to an isiXhosa woman for many years yet found the language and its intricacies difficult to learn.  I often didn’t, or didn’t try to, get the conversations around me.  The gent whispered “these guys behind us are discussing how they’re going to steal your car from you, go right now”.  I’m still appreciative.

We share approaches in one respect, on occasional visits to the ex in-laws west of Mthatha I completely avoid the centre of that blighted shitty.

Edited by justinafrika

21 hours ago, justinafrika said:

Until a decade ago I was doing loads of work in Mthatha and throughout Mpuma Kapa, and previously while working with the Health Department our health commission team took occupation of Mathanzima’s hilltop state residence in '94 and ’95.  Perhaps the thinking was “just put the mlungu's team in the apartheid palace”.  

I am eternally grateful to the elderly gentleman who sidled up to me in central Mthatha during a work visit to that city in 2010.  I may have been married to an isiXhosa woman for many years yet found the language and its intricacies difficult to learn.  I often didn’t, or didn’t try to, get the conversations around me.  The gent whispered “these guys behind us are discussing how they’re going to steal your car from you, go right now”.  I’m still appreciative.

We share approaches in one respect, on occasional visits to the ex in-laws west of Mthatha I completely avoid the centre of that blighted shitty.

Something similar happened to my Dad many years ago. He was totally fluent in Xhosa. One day in East London, he fetched his DVD player that had been in for repairs.

Carrying the machine back to his car, two Xhosa gentleman started trailing him. He heard the one say to the other "he is old it will be easy". My Dad always could hold up his end in a rough and tumble affair and realized he would be vulnerable when he got to the car.

When he reached the car, he placed the machine on the boot of his car and looked them in the face and in Xhosa said to them "so who is going to be first, I am not so old as you think I am"

Needless to say they quickly made their departure. 

I've heard about people having their motorcycles nicked off of trailers going through Mtatha. Jump on one robot, cut and grab while car is moving in traffic

On 7/8/2023 at 9:05 PM, Eugene said:

Although it's easy to say, the driver should have just reversed over the thief. He would have been in a whole lot of pain

This 👆

Its the only way people will learn