Trail Daze 2.0 | Constantia Greenbelts

News bot

It’s not often that you find a suburban trail network which offers proper riding, more than just a commuter path from one side to the other. A network of short segments that take you through various types of lush vegetation including ferns, cork trees and all kinds of rain-forest-like ground cover that isolates you from […]

View full article

On 7/25/2023 at 1:31 PM, Headshot said:

My local. You forgot to mention the whole trail network is on Trailforks with detailed descriptions and trail features added by yours truly.

Thanks for mentioning it here. 

Could you share the links to the sections you maintain (for Cecilia Forest, Cork Trees, Southern Cross Drive & Green belts)? I did spot some well maintained segments on Trailforks, but admittedly got lost in all that goes on on there.

I have a great route around the Cecilia and upper green belt area that takes in all the best features. I see no pics of the rock drop I created on the Kirstenbosch lower track a while before the steep rubber mat descent, or the drop into the river bed after the rock garden. There is also the Avenue Bordeaux descent which is fast and full of baby heads on the first section. If you want, this area is enduro/trail bike worthy and lots of fun.

@Headshot can you give more details about these spots please?

drop on the Kirstenbosch lower track a while before the steep rubber mat descent

drop into the river bed after the rock garden

Avenue Bordeaux descent

On 7/28/2023 at 5:36 PM, Stephan said:

@Headshot can you give more details about these spots please?

drop on the Kirstenbosch lower track a while before the steep rubber mat descent

drop into the river bed after the rock garden

Avenue Bordeaux descent

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/kirstenbosch-lower-single-track/

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/the-best-bordeaux/

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/corktree-trail/

Not part of the constantia green belt which I like a lot - but is there a way to get up onto the lower magic link trail from Victoria road just after suikerbossie?

18 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Not part of the constantia green belt which I like a lot - but is there a way to get up onto the lower magic link trail from Victoria road just after suikerbossie?

That would be great if it existed. I think the issue there was that SANP owned/controlled the land in that vicinity which is why the trail officially ends/turns around at the large rock/signpost on the upper trail.

9 hours ago, Mamil said:

If only! The Missing Link trail ends at the fence just before the Apostle Battery up on the hill above Llandudno, Cape Town side...last visit there, there's a big hole in that fence and if you go thru...don't...you end up inside the Battery operations office complex where you will get gears for trespassing as it is closed. Only way really is to coast down to Bootleggers, double espresso in the tank and leg it up to Theresa Avenue to do a loop....out and back...

I wonder if there is any ‘opportunity’ in a structured, high-level proactive approach asking the developers / owners to allow/enable a sustainable MTB trial to pass through the extreme lower- or -upper reaches of the to-be-developed property, selling it to them on corporate responsibility, blah, blah, etc.

A missing link, indeed! “Completing a link around the table”

Got to hope! 

Chris

1 hour ago, Zebra said:

I wonder if there is any ‘opportunity’ in a structured, high-level proactive approach asking the developers / owners to allow/enable a sustainable MTB trial to pass through the extreme lower- or -upper reaches of the to-be-developed property, selling it to them on corporate responsibility, blah, blah, etc.

A missing link, indeed! “Completing a link around the table”

Got to hope! 

Chris

This was done with the Ruyterplaats estate development I believe...public have access to the old public road and Viktorskloof Road through the estate...my route from Constantia Nek to the top of Suikerbossie and back...

Is there no scope/leaverage for some trail building from the constantia trail upper down to lower trail along Rhodes Drive... this forest section has the making of some epic trails. 

image.png.306fe9918f8d0f625238d1a16ffb16e7.png