• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

My goal at the moment is just to get to 25km/h average on my roadie [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

Many a cyclist has been where you are, and there’s nothing to feel bad about, as a few have already alluded to.

The more you ride, the bigger your base becomes. The bigger the base, the more you can build on top of that base... eg. intervals.

I’ve seen some club members go from struggling to ride 20Km @ <20Km/h, to being able to ride 100Km in 3.5 hours. They didn’t ride much in the week, but gradually increased their distance and speed every weekend until they got to >28Km/h.

Some of them got pushed, not because we felt sorry for them, but so that they could close the gap and hold onto the wheel in front of them. “Sucking wheel” is often frowned upon, but for these guys/gals, they get to ride at a higher than normal pace, but without having to suffer in the wind. They get used to riding longer distances at the higher pace, and slowly they develop the engine to sustain it.

We go as fast as the slowest person.

For us, 26km/h is slow, especially on a flat (roadie) route with a tailwind on the final 3rd - for a group that can finish most 100Km races in less than 3.5 hours.

Our morning group rides usually split into two groups. Front group rides at 33 - 35 km/h over 35km with about 350m-450m elevation. Second group does 30km/h - 33km/h. Sometimes there is no split and the group rolls 20 - 30 strong. Fastest group ride clocked in at 38km/h. 

Our morning group rides usually split into two groups. Front group rides at 33 - 35 km/h over 35km with about 350m-450m elevation. Second group does 30km/h - 33km/h. Sometimes there is no split and the group rolls 20 - 30 strong. Fastest group ride clocked in at 38km/h.

We’ve been a bit soft of late. Our faster rides are currently 30-32Km/h (90-120Km with 500-800m of elevation gain).

The benchmark for a good, hard ride used to be 100Km before 08:00, having started at 05:00. It’s been a while since we did that... 100Km in 3 hours.

We’ve been a bit soft of late. Our faster rides are currently 30-32Km/h (90-120Km with 500-800m of elevation gain).

The benchmark for a good, hard ride used to be 100Km before 08:00, having started at 05:00. It’s been a while since we did that... 100Km in 3 hours.

Two members from our group did a 200km ride on the weekend in 7 hours. Pretty impressive for two people and 16km/h wind. With COVID and work and a young child at home I can only spare an hour long heart attack first thing in the morning. 

My goal at the moment is just to get to 25km/h average on my roadie [emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

You’re not alone [emoji1]

I’m at about 30km at 22kph (elevation 340m). I have the lungs for more but the legs are rubbish. Any little pushing and I have knee issues that force me off the bike for a few weeks.

I did 132km last week with a 50km in there but I’m feeling it in what I think is a tendon - I couldn’t sit less symmetrically on a bike [emoji1]

I guess we just keep plugging away until we get there.

I’m at about 30km at 22kph (elevation 340m). I have the lungs for more but the legs are rubbish. Any little pushing and I have knee issues that force me off the bike for a few weeks.

I did 132km last week with a 50km in there but I’m feeling it in what I think is a tendon - I couldn’t sit less symmetrically on a bike [emoji1]

More of us in the same boat ....

Lungs and hart can take more. But when we push it our knees let us know all about it ....

But even at a lower speed ... we are out there. :)

More of us in the same boat ....

Lungs and hart can take more. But when we push it our knees let us know all about it ....

But even at a lower speed ... we are out there. :)

I’ve been following your story with the idea that my body will never allow me to do the riding I’d like to sitting in the back of my mind.

Having just spent €4K on a bike without a motor I’m determined to try and get there no matter what and will put in as much effort as I can.

But, the doubt still lingers....

Yes we are, and we keep trying.

I think some people are also just naturally more 'bikefit' if that makes any sense. Like some people can just go out and run 20km even in obese form. My mother has this one friend that looks like an averweight ex prop these days but used to be a runner and sommer enters a Comrades marathon for chits and giggles without training...and just runs it like he's never stopped doing it. 

I've never struggled to ride 50km for instance. I can stop for 5 years (which I have) and go out first time and do 50km.  I just never had a problem on a bicycle like that. Other people will suffer doing 5km...my wife being one of them.  But if I go out tomorrow and try to run 10km...i'll probably die at 5km haha.

then theres swimming...try and swim 1km in open water...double dare haha

My goal at the moment is just to get to 25km/h average on my roadie

Yea but do you ride solo? I do 80 % of the time and probably 90 % on my road bike . It’s a fair bit tougher Hans solo for a few of reasons. No more so than getting a little respite,but that’s not the only reason . Mentally it can be tough to be out there alone for hours on end with no chit chat to break the monotony of talking to yourself . When it gets proper tough like last wkd in the wind to keep to the route you planned . Etc etc .....

The advantage is when you ride in a group albeit a race or just training ride you can up your avg speed for not to much extra effort . Within reason of course .

Keep going you will get there. Staying motivated is another difficultly when you not letting anyone down but yourself .

Good luck

Oh and i’m also crap at getting up early ,hence my solo stints .

Edited by Pikey

Keep going! 

I’ve been following your story with the idea that my body will never allow me to do the riding I’d like to sitting in the back of my mind.

Having just spent €4K on a bike without a motor I’m determined to try and get there no matter what and will put in as much effort as I can.

But, the doubt still lingers....

Yes we are, and we keep trying.

Hang in there as long as possible ....

I DO enjoy being outside, trail views, etc ... and yet, there is a certain stisfaction in SUFFERING up a long hill under your own steam.

Cycling the Swartberg pass under my own steam will probably be the highlight of my cycling. Fact is I was slow !!! Stopped a number of times, seriously considered turning back at the Waterfall. But somehow I made it to the top.

With the ebike .... its not the same .... but my choices were to stop, or get an ebike. On the plus side, getting up the hills without hurting your knees means more single track fun. And make no mistake, when you feel up to it ... dial down the assist button, select a smaller gear and you can quickly work out in zone 5 ... for as long as the knees allow. Having the safety net of the motor actually makes it easier to push the limits, as you you can get home ....

Yea but do you ride solo? I do 80 % of the time and probably 90 % on my road bike . It’s a fair bit tougher Hans solo for a few of reasons. No more so than getting a little respite,but that’s not the only reason . Mentally it can be tough to be out there alone for hours on end with no chit chat to break the monotony of talking to yourself . When it gets proper tough like last wkd in the wind to keep to the route you planned . Etc etc .....

The advantage is when you ride in a group albeit a race or just training ride you can up your avg speed for not to much extra effort . Within reason of course .

Keep going you will get there. Staying motivated is another difficultly when you not letting anyone down but yourself .

Good luck

Oh and i’m also crap at getting up early ,hence my solo stints .

All my roadie rides have been solo, when on the MTB on the trails I am most often with someone.

My best road ride to date, was a 56km ride, 618m elevation at 23.7km/h, pretty proud of that ride.

And I was just being facetious when I said I should quit, I know it takes a lot of work to build up fitness, I love riding, dont see myself giving it up for the foreseeable future....

All my roadie rides have been solo, when on the MTB on the trails I am most often with someone.

My best road ride to date, was a 56km ride, 618m elevation at 23.7km/h, pretty proud of that ride.

And I was just being facetious when I said I should quit, I know it takes a lot of work to build up fitness, I love riding, dont see myself giving it up for the foreseeable future....

Strongs Mate ... we all just keep at it regardless. I have had a turbulent 16 months and my fitness or lack of it mostly makes it tough more often than not. But it’s about the freedom 2 wheels that keeps most of going . But when got that love for it you solid

Always keen to join you from a ride if you Alberton way .

Strongs Mate ... we all just keep at it regardless. I have had a turbulent 16 months and my fitness or lack of it mostly makes it tough more often than not. But it’s about the freedom 2 wheels that keeps most of going . But when got that love for it you solid

Always keen to join you from a ride if you Alberton way .

Always nice to ride with new people, I am in Germiston/Edenvale area, so not far at all