Gravel Star is it a Scam or not?

Comrade J

this feed popped up on my instagram during the week https://gravelstar.co.za/, wonder if anyone also got it

Not sure who the event organiser is, they are clearly from another planet and have a good stash of 420, or better.

You pay R900.00 and you get nada in return.

See some of the rules  👇

• Athletes may resupply at local businesses and stores along the route.
  • Athletes may receive “neutral” support from residents at a stationary location from which any other event participant could also receive aid
  • Each athlete MUST have at least one support crew person present at the event to fetch them should they need to abandon the event.
  • You may use businesses in the checkpoint towns as your support for resupply. However, we recommend having a support person on call for the day should you choose to abandon the event. Support crews, friends, and family members are not permitted on the course except for moral support or to fetch a rider abandoning the event.

They appear to have just copied info from the Unbound site https://www.unboundgravel.com/officialrules/

There’s no mention of of what is or isn’t available. Why not contact them? There’s a few sponsors there and the site looks legit. 

15 minutes ago, Comrade J said:

this feed popped up on my instagram during the week https://gravelstar.co.za/, wonder if anyone also got it

Not sure who the event organiser is, they are clearly from another planet and have a good stash of 420, or better.

You pay R900.00 and you get nada in return.

See some of the rules  👇

• Athletes may resupply at local businesses and stores along the route.
  • Athletes may receive “neutral” support from residents at a stationary location from which any other event participant could also receive aid
  • Each athlete MUST have at least one support crew person present at the event to fetch them should they need to abandon the event.
  • You may use businesses in the checkpoint towns as your support for resupply. However, we recommend having a support person on call for the day should you choose to abandon the event. Support crews, friends, and family members are not permitted on the course except for moral support or to fetch a rider abandoning the event.

They appear to have just copied info from the Unbound site https://www.unboundgravel.com/officialrules/

Just because the race breaks the mold of what you are used to, doesn't necessarily mean the organizers are "from another planet and have a good stash of 420, or better". 🤣

These rules are pretty standard for gravel races in the USA and also ultra races/self-supported races.

I suggest reaching out to the organizers directly and posting their response here for everyone to see. A lot of people might think the same but never ask or post about it. Getting official clarification benefits both the event and future organizers putting on great events by avoiding confusion.

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Couldn’t be bothered two ways about sanctioning really. 

Jip.......me neither.

The sanctioning is not for those that don’t care, but rather an indication that the OP’s concern of a fly by night is reduced.

4 minutes ago, Frosty said:

The sanctioning is not for those that don’t care, but rather an indication that the OP’s concern of a fly by night is reduced.

Nah.

I've done awesome races not sanctioned by them.  
And I have lost hundreds of rands last year on races sanctioned by CSA who did not give their approval on 99 and the famous organiser disappeared into the horsison.

Point is, CSA sanctioning doesn't mean **** in my books.  If the organiser is going to run with your entry fee, they are going to run.  

5 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Nah.

I've done awesome races not sanctioned by them.  
And I have lost hundreds of rands last year on races sanctioned by CSA who did not give their approval on 99 and the famous organiser disappeared into the horsison.

Point is, CSA sanctioning doesn't mean **** in my books.  If the organiser is going to run with your entry fee, they are going to run.  

event looks ok to me.

running self supported gravel events is a bit of a grey area in terms of legalities. I love the concept of no bull#@$ admin, and things like the Rhino run and Burra500 wouldn't work if it was full on bureacracy(hate the word, won't try spell it). 

Might not appeal to the masses who want frills, fine by me too, reduces the wanker ratio considerably

been around since 2005. sjoe, well that's a claim then.

18 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

This has been floating around in my whatssap groups

60d97616-989c-43b0-8bfc-3b4b8147d22f.jpg

Is ample parking meant to attract me? All of these things are the expectation and not an exception

54 minutes ago, kingalton said:

So one is basically paying R900 for a GPS route..?

Fair to assume then you are not part of the audience they are looking to attract?   🤣

59 minutes ago, kingalton said:

So one is basically paying R900 for a GPS route..?

Last time I asked this there were some very angry people 😅. So my 5c is that there are people that clearly enjoy the event and vibe etc. Not my cup of tea. 🥸

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Like Tshwane Classic? 🫠