Car changes over the years

OVERDRIVE

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did a colorado ski season in 2001.

It blew my mind how HUGE the cars all were. I would go for days without seeing a single car similar size to the mazda midge I was driving back home.

Wonder if it has changed much (obviously EVs are significant now) or US bigger is better is a 70s gas guzzling hangover that will never dry out.

then you fet the Ford F250 truck. it is a proper truck.

7 hours ago, Hairy said:

image.png.e98a09bc99092ff716328eabbe0536c7.png

On average the std depth of a garage should be 6m, so it is strange that your 5110mm length Ranger does not fit.

The standard South African parking bay though is 5mx2.5m, so your Ranger is too long for a standard bay.

Wait, let me go measure...see below. 

7 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

You have a TOWBAR sticking out plus there is a strengthening plate on the sectional door, believe me is does not fit. I also have not measured the actual size of the double garage.

Agreed. 

7 hours ago, Shebeen said:

got a new vehicle for a staff member the other day, was looking at the polo type size passenger range.

Was quite surprised to find out that Toyota no longer make small cars - all done by suzuki (and others) now. For years they would have been vying with VW in the tazz vs golf, yaris v polo sales.

Also there are a lot of tiny cars out there, kwid + go + spresso + vitz

(speaking as one of those city drivers who has a double cab that gets used for its intended purpose 2% of the time)

Had a rental starlet once, not bad, and very very good on fuel. 

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

should be 6m but they are closer to 5.5m

my wife's first generation Q5 will not fit in the garage with the towbar deployed.

@The Ouzo You are 100% right. Q5 wil only fit at an angle, the Amarok no chance. If i move everything against the wall it will. How did you know its not 6m? I feel robbed, lol 

image.png.88e9aa70a759d99c1c21c8bd5a0f4d1b.png

Download drawing Volkswagen Amarok Pick-up 2010 in ai pdf png svg formats

4 hours ago, dave303e said:

Bit of a pointless graphic complaining cars are getting too big when the reality is that our rail system has all but collapsed( so bad major mining companies are taking massive production hits). So our roads are overloaded with massive trucks left right and center. SO the size of a golf or ranger is really nothing compared to the HGV's that are all over the place. 

Ouch, those HGVs pay the bills...especially the cycling ones😥

This Is Us Crying GIF by NBC - Find & Share on GIPHY

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

I saw some accident test videos on some motoring show once where they tested various suvs against some small cars. A chevy spark was dangerous but a jeep Cherokee was atrocious at protecting the occupants and occupants of the other vehicle. All you had was a bigger accident with more casualties . 
the only suvs that did anything for protecting occupants were some German luxury SUVs 

min accidents with pedestrians the suv was certain killer in every test

1 hour ago, RocknRolla said:

Is it possible to load anything into the bed of a modern bakkie over the side these days? 

Yes, the bike goes, lol 

5 hours ago, dave303e said:

Bit of a pointless graphic complaining cars are getting too big when the reality is that our rail system has all but collapsed( so bad major mining companies are taking massive production hits). So our roads are overloaded with massive trucks left right and center. SO the size of a golf or ranger is really nothing compared to the HGV's that are all over the place. 

But isn’t that conflating two entirely separate things, both of which can be true at the same time?
HGVs aren’t clogging up suburbia and peak hour traffic. 

1 hour ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Yes, the bike goes, lol 

this version of the Grand Cherokee is much better. The motoring show was screened somewhere around 2015/16 when the older version of the cherokee was in SA

2 hours ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Wait, let me go measure...see below. 

Agreed. 

Had a rental starlet once, not bad, and very very good on fuel. 

@The Ouzo You are 100% right. Q5 wil only fit at an angle, the Amarok no chance. If i move everything against the wall it will. How did you know its not 6m? I feel robbed, lol 

image.png.88e9aa70a759d99c1c21c8bd5a0f4d1b.png

Download drawing Volkswagen Amarok Pick-up 2010 in ai pdf png svg formats

Ouch, those HGVs pay the bills...especially the cycling ones😥

This Is Us Crying GIF by NBC - Find & Share on GIPHY

Hey…its the size of a modern formula 1 car at least?🤷🏻‍♂️😝

IMG_8941.jpeg

A society that can't even protect its children at the cost of its ego. Truly tragic.

Plenty of sad stats out there about how many children are being killed by the new crop of huge cars. Saw one out in the wild today, parked outside a primary school no less. 1.5 metres into the road because it's too big for the sidewalk parking.

image.png.6d846c4b124c41719839d3c80d09c036.png

39 minutes ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

A society that can't even protect its children at the cost of its ego. Truly tragic.

Plenty of sad stats out there about how many children are being killed by the new crop of huge cars. Saw one out in the wild today, parked outside a primary school no less. 1.5 metres into the road because it's too big for the sidewalk parking.

On 8/26/2023 at 8:22 AM, MORNE said:

Hey! i owned a 83 mk1 GTI and I also parked it away from curbs as to not scratch the factory alloy wheels 😜

I hope you held on to it. 

15 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

that's the excuse people use for buying big cars, but as long as your car has proper active and passive safety features it will protect the occupants. In actually fact large high vehicles roll easier due to the higher centre of gravity.

Moose Test lol. That makes for interesting viewing.

13 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Moose Test lol. That makes for interesting viewing.

that moose test reveals some nasty surprises. Some cars that people think are "sporty" yet cant even swerve around some cones

13 hours ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

Thanks Karl Marx