Car changes over the years

OVERDRIVE

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find strange is that while the outside size of cars is increasing in size, the inside does not appear to be. I have a old Subaru Forest 2007 and it seems to have more room inside it compared to a friends new Land Rover Discovery (even though the Land Rover is far larger).

I am not sure if the doors of modern cars are filled with airbags etc, but they seem to be a lot more "puffy".

Only the 200 series Land Cruiser and Patrol seem to be substantially bigger inside. The worst may be a BMW X6, the puff pastry of cars, fills your garage and not much space inside it.

1 hour ago, Baracuda said:

What I find strange is that while the outside size of cars is increasing in size, the inside does not appear to be. I have a old Subaru Forest 2007 and it seems to have more room inside it compared to a friends new Land Rover Discovery (even though the Land Rover is far larger).

I am not sure if the doors of modern cars are filled with airbags etc, but they seem to be a lot more "puffy".

Only the 200 series Land Cruiser and Patrol seem to be substantially bigger inside. The worst may be a BMW X6, the puff pastry of cars, fills your garage and not much space inside it.

The doors are substantially thicker and less space inside .I was thinking of getting a double cab bakkie but the size puts me off .The P -series is enormous and the rear seats are just as cramped .I still drive my 2001 Prado 90 series .It is the perfect size .The new Prado is basically a Landcruiser with a smaller engine 

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

image.png.e98a09bc99092ff716328eabbe0536c7.png

On average the std depth of a garage should be 6m, so it is strange that your 5110mm length Ranger does not fit.

The standard South African parking bay though is 5mx2.5m, so your Ranger is too long for a standard bay.

should be 6m but they are closer to 5.5m

my wife's first generation Q5 will not fit in the garage with the towbar deployed.

Bit of a pointless graphic complaining cars are getting too big when the reality is that our rail system has all but collapsed( so bad major mining companies are taking massive production hits). So our roads are overloaded with massive trucks left right and center. SO the size of a golf or ranger is really nothing compared to the HGV's that are all over the place. 

Car Size is moot when people drive while distracted. Although as per the initial post, it does decrease the margin for error significantly.

The anecdotal evidence I have heard historically is that a bigger car is safer for the occupants, screw everyone else.

1 hour ago, RocknRolla said:

Car Size is moot when people drive while distracted. Although as per the initial post, it does decrease the margin for error significantly.

The anecdotal evidence I have heard historically is that a bigger car is safer for the occupants, screw everyone else.

that's the excuse people use for buying big cars, but as long as your car has proper active and passive safety features it will protect the occupants. In actually fact large high vehicles roll easier due to the higher centre of gravity.

I saw some accident test videos on some motoring show once where they tested various suvs against some small cars. A chevy spark was dangerous but a jeep Cherokee was atrocious at protecting the occupants and occupants of the other vehicle. All you had was a bigger accident with more casualties . 
the only suvs that did anything for protecting occupants were some German luxury SUVs 

min accidents with pedestrians the suv was certain killer in every test

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

were some German luxury SUVs 

the swedes tend to fair better than the germans.

Also helps that on the Swedes the safety features are not optional extras, so they are not left off the options list in favour of style of gadget options.

1 minute ago, The Ouzo said:

the swedes tend to fair better than the germans.

Also helps that on the Swedes the safety features are not optional extras, so they are not left off the options list in favour of style of gadget options.

Should have said Northern European then. Since the early 2000s I always thought t of the swedes as first American then Chinese (geely ownership)

Just now, DieselnDust said:

Should have said Northern European then. Since the early 2000s I always thought t of the swedes as first American then Chinese (geely ownership)

fortunately the Geely ownership is mainly financial support, Volvo is left to run as its own company as long as it feeds R&D back to Geely.

Unlike the American ownership which nearly killed the brand and has given it an eternal stigma of rubbish resale value

1 minute ago, The Ouzo said:

fortunately the Geely ownership is mainly financial support, Volvo is left to run as its own company as long as it feeds R&D back to Geely.

Unlike the American ownership which nearly killed the brand and has given it an eternal stigma of rubbish resale value

Those were the dark years when a V30 was a Ford focus in an evening dress