• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, PhilipV said:

Everyone should own a singlespeed.

its a BMX for grown-ups.

Everyone already owns a Single Speed, just choose your ratio and then tape up your shifters.

Go Ride

2 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Everyone already owns a Single Speed, just choose your ratio and then tape up your shifters.

Go Ride

That's like the guy who kissed his cousin over the summer holiday and came back to tell his friends that he finally kissed a girl.Β 

32 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

So I'm guessing you don't own a Single Speed?

Β 

I have all the parts I could make you one in about 30 minutes.
But I don't have that need.

Edited by dasilvarsa

10 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

That's like the guy who kissed his cousin over the summer holiday and came back to tell his friends that he finally kissed a girl.Β 

That's what they do at the Single Speed Championships at the Big Red Barn but I guess you just beenΒ facetious. Click Below. and Read a bit if you can.

Singlespeed

Β 

Edited by dasilvarsa

14 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

It's ok.... I have a couple

I love my single gear bikes. I've done a few things on them, even some adult races on kids BMXs

Β 

41 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It's ok.... I have a couple

I love my single gear bikes. I've done a few things on them, even some adult races on kids BMXs

Β 

I Know

Cape Town Cycle Tour (Argus) on a BMX.

That's CoolΒ 

Just came back from a 30Km Ride on my Trusted Merida Hardtail Steed and my butt is sore and my back is sore.

I can't let go of this Hardtail Obsession please Help.

Dual Suspension will be my ride for the Weekend 😁

On 11/15/2023 at 2:06 PM, Jewbacca said:

So I'm guessing you don't own a Single Speed?

Β 

Β 

On 11/15/2023 at 2:30 PM, dasilvarsa said:

In other words, no, he doesnt have one....

On 9/11/2023 at 6:47 AM, matthewproctor said:

Used to ride years ago and really enjoyed it (mainly trail). I previously had a full suspension bike(s) - been through a few over the years.

Want to get back into cycling and was thinking of buying a hardtail (based on not wanting to break the bank, and relatively chilled riding).

Will I regret it? Will it kill my back and knees? Never ridden a hard tail before but thinking about picking up a 140mm Trek Roscoe.

Appreciate your input ;)

@matthewproctorΒ did you get that Roscoe in the end?

Your thread gave me another nudge to ditch my dual suspension for the simplicity of a hardtail. And a cue to look at, and then buy the Roscoe a little while ago (thanks!):

image.jpeg

I loved my previous carbon Epic Evo. It was comfy, suitably light and awesome when I was stage & marathon racing more often. But in recent years it was losing out to road rides, runs and surfs and hung in the garage depreciating.Β 

At R25k on sale the Roscoe was a no brainer for my current MTB needs.Β 

After a few rides on it I'm 110% sold on the decision. It's a fun, capable bike with upgrade potential if I feel inclined. All without the guilt of a shiny carbon bike losing value in the garage.

On my local Tokai trails (the mid-range Snakes, nothing too hectic) it's impressively smooth. I definitely notice where the DS made me a lazy rider and now have to use my knees and hips more to soak up drops, etc. But I see that as more of a feature than a bug. Overall happy with the HT and so far knees and back aren't laying any complaints.

Β 

• 3 months later...
On 11/17/2023 at 3:35 PM, Matt said:

@matthewproctorΒ did you get that Roscoe in the end?

Your thread gave me another nudge to ditch my dual suspension for the simplicity of a hardtail. And a cue to look at, and then buy the Roscoe a little while ago (thanks!):

image.jpeg

I loved my previous carbon Epic Evo. It was comfy, suitably light and awesome when I was stage & marathon racing more often. But in recent years it was losing out to road rides, runs and surfs and hung in the garage depreciating.Β 

At R25k on sale the Roscoe was a no brainer for my current MTB needs.Β 

After a few rides on it I'm 110% sold on the decision. It's a fun, capable bike with upgrade potential if I feel inclined. All without the guilt of a shiny carbon bike losing value in the garage.

On my local Tokai trails (the mid-range Snakes, nothing too hectic) it's impressively smooth. I definitely notice where the DS made me a lazy rider and now have to use my knees and hips more to soak up drops, etc. But I see that as more of a feature than a bug. Overall happy with the HT and so far knees and back aren't laying any complaints.

For the last 5 years I regularly rode the trails in and around Stellenbosch with an old 26er full suspension bike circa 2008. I recently made up my mind on upgrading to a 29er, but was hesitant as hard tails were all I could afford if I wanted to buy new. I then came across the Trek Roscoe 7 which is now on special for R20k, and so I decided to take the plunge. After the very first ride on the bike, I was sold! Mountain bikes have come a long way in the last 16 years, and all the small improvements more than make up for the loss of rear suspension for me.