Which brand do you use as a chamois cream and does it actually have a decent smell?

Razor1972

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

Get you a bib that fits properly and kiss the chamois cream goodbye. Assos does a great job of separating the pad from the bib which eliminates that chafing irritation. 

13 minutes ago, NotShatterProof said:

This. Cannot agree more. I commute, and since switching to Assos it has been a massive improvement. My total costs in terms of bibs and cream has actually gone down. I used to ride other brand bibs and apply plenty of Chamois cream (acutally BumCream from faithful to nature or the Assos one). I found that it ruined the bibs in next to no time and didn't really help, still got saddle sores. 

Well.

You guys say that.  It it pertains to chafing.

But shammy cream in general has antibacterial qualities.  So it actually does help prevent saddle sores and goggas eating you on long rides.
So there is that.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you’re doing a multi day event, then perhaps adding some chamois cream might help a bit given the consecutive days of training load.

2 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Get you a bib that fits properly and kiss the chamois cream goodbye. Assos does a great job of separating the pad from the bib which eliminates that chafing irritation. 

Uhhmmmm ...

On a 5 hour ride even my Assos bib needs some bum butter .....

5 hours ago, PhilipV said:

OP probably has a keen sense of smell and a cognitive dissonance to the smell when he opens the pot, 

Maybe 😄 

Imagine if someone opens their “lunchbox” when he is close by

It's all about how much you look after your butt and how much your stuff all fits together..

I'm a no cream guy. I have some minor experience with time in the saddle having done Freedom Challenge, Many multi day events, Many expedition races where we spend 40 hours non stop on the bike with a packpack on, IMs and all sorts of other stuff in between and the only time I have ever developed a saddle sore is when I rode the indoor trainer too often during covid and this winter.

I am on the spectrum with sensory issues and despise the feeling and smell of lube creams on or near my person. 

I make sure my wiry curl soap sticking hair is trimmed in the nether regions and folds, the bib short seams aren't aggravating any soft folds or moving parts and spend some time making sure it works.

BOOM!

I do use Bennetts baby bum cream for any repairs and my worst but essential, is a good layer of basic blue seal in the butt to avoid chafe while doing 'long runs'..... More than 3 hours ish when things have a chance to get sweaty, dry and get sweaty again.

4 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Top class bibs that fit well do a lot of good and for anything up to 100km mtb/gravel you don't need bum cream. But start stretching past 200km mtb rides and you will be reaching for the bum cream. Get through that 500km zone and you will be raw without it.

I’ve been trialing and buying the enduro balm from enduro seal. The African ass cream to Africanise delicate bottoms and keep them delicate.

brilliant stuff and all natural ingredients for that vegan feeling

17 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I’ve been trialing and buying the enduro balm from enduro seal. The African ass cream to Africanise delicate bottoms and keep them delicate.

brilliant stuff and all natural ingredients for that vegan feeling

Are You a Share Holder in that Business ? 😂

23 minutes ago, dave303e said:

Top class bibs that fit well do a lot of good and for anything up to 100km mtb/gravel you don't need bum cream. But start stretching past 200km mtb rides and you will be reaching for the bum cream. Get through that 500km zone and you will be raw without it.

Well thankfully I’m not crazy enough to attempt over 200km on a mtb. My limit is 100 miles. That’s it. Not a smidge more thank you very much.

On 9/20/2023 at 2:22 PM, Barry said:

Ass Magic probably the better but my wife uses Biogen Perform-x and side by side Biogen has the lesser smell.

Don’t think they make that Perform-X anymore? Excellent product for the price.

The asses of magic it is. 

25 minutes ago, carlheinz said:

Don’t think they make that Perform-X anymore? Excellent product for the price.

The asses of magic it is. 

I see Biogen web say out of stock so not sure maybe discontinued . I did however get a few 200g containers last month from DisChem package has changed still 200g but bigger container.Screenshot_20230921-152006.jpg.e0876a42e5cdd33d3c6a84e4ea9d1e4a.jpg

16953029273575275424654153045781.jpg

Edited by Barry

1 hour ago, dasilvarsa said:

Are You a Share Holder in that Business ? 😂

Just Guinea pig product tester. I put my ass on the line for this one and it came out shining 😂

my alternative is Fissan paste or otherwise Ass Magic. I used to be an Assos Ass cream guy but Joh that price…

Edited by DieselnDust

so just a few opinions here

Milking balm/Speen salf: works fine but disappears to quickly. might be to runny in consistency thats why... cows were never meant to be milked for hours.

Biogen: Next best thing after milking balm but i am 99% sure it is just rebranded milking balm.. at best just added an antibacterial ingredient to pure milking balm, hence the price.

Ass magic: my go to, i even apply for an hour indoor session. 

Squirt: was given a few sample backs of it but it was so stiff i had to kneed it warm like wondergom to apply it. kind of felt like waxing wax going on.. not a pleasant thought.

Assos: used to smell quite minty a few years ago? also was quite cooling tingly when applied which suggested eucalyptus in it?

6 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

So which Assos bib do you use? I see there's prices range from R3k to R6k 😳