Anything from Cool Heat

Eugene

On 9/26/2023 at 11:51 AM, Headshot said:

I saw the Hambini video on this. The way these things were made seems like asking for trouble. I presume something like an SLX hollowtech crank from 2013 will have no such issues?

It shouldn’t  but if it is hollow tech is is possible to fail. There has been cases of xt and XTR cranks failing 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, lechatnoir said:

and just the 6 injuries? ok, US only, but some of those failures look horrific

That’s the number Shimano disclosed to the USCSPC. It’s likely a lot more in reality as not everyone who experiences a failure will run back to Shimano if the product is out of warranty 

On 9/26/2023 at 8:07 PM, cadenceblur said:

Still seeing ultegra cranks with potentially impacted model numbers up for sale..:

Seems like a good deal?

You get a brand new crank for the price of a second-hand one...

😎

23 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

It shouldn’t  but if it is hollow tech is is possible to fail. There has been cases of xt and XTR cranks failing 

I think mine is safe - its been abused for ten years

I wonder where this leaves someone trying to sell a gem of a bike which happens to have an affected crankset? Bummer!

Maybe I'm not as alarmist but if the crank qualifies for replacement it gets replaced or, if it does not, they sell the gem bike as a gem bike just like before. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Robo said:

Do we know if the 1st of October is only for the European markets? Anybody started the process yet?

This was the point I wanted to make earlier when mentioning the lack of mention from local cycling media, there are at least seven brands out there. Although Coolheat as the agency did share the notification from Shimano. Wait and see feels a bit cavalier, the consensus it is a global recall process. Based on that I think it will take a while for the programme to roll out across the board. 

On 9/30/2023 at 4:14 PM, love2fly said:

I wonder where this leaves someone trying to sell a gem of a bike which happens to have an affected crankset? Bummer!

it really does erode confidence, doesn't it?

My retailer called and informed me the local inspection and replacement process is in place. Contact your lbs to find out if they’re approved by CH for inspection.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

This is actually mental. Visually testing whether the crank is affected. Complete shiteshow from Shimano this.

Did we expect anything less from Shimano?

they’ve never fully admitted fault . It’s all maybes and subjectivity.