[Event] Attakwas Extreme

Dryland Events

20 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

I have a knack for picking the Attas with the worst weather and skipping the good weather years.

Did the monsoon in 2020, the extreme heat wave in 2022 and will be back this year, so prepare for the worst...

Nee man Willie! Jy gaan ons jinx. 😁

Ek doen my eerste, so ek hoop die weer is goedgunstig. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will be my second time, wish I still had the blissful feeling of not really knowing what this ride is all about and approaching it with zero reference to any other event. This time round now I am second guessing everything I did to prepare, even tho I have done more and better prep than last year. I have this feeling that you are never in full control of this race, that potential ACE up the Atta's sleeve is making me worry.

This race seems to create many legendary stories, of great efforts both physically and mentally. The best part of the event is to ride along side new friends/brothers motivating each other, all working hard to reach that end.

On 1/10/2024 at 4:25 PM, Stephan said:

Nee man Willie! Jy gaan ons jinx. 😁

Ek doen my eerste, so ek hoop die weer is goedgunstig. 

Soos dit nou staan lyk dit of my luck dalk kan draai 😀

Grootbrak vge Sat

image.png.ee8ba4832d210a7f5080c93364074760.png

Ek het ook te lekker vakansie gehou!

DM me for an entry 😉

Edited by BMCfan

40 minutes ago, BMCfan said:

DM me for an entry 😉

🥺

Tempting 

6 hours ago, BMCfan said:

DM me for an entry 😉

🧐🧐

21 hours ago, Hilton. said:

Oh boy, long-term forecast is looking HOT 🥵

Oudtshoorn on Windguru:

image.png.f9e8cea869908a339b6c9eff53bca44a.png

The hottest one I ever did was 2013... It definitely hit 40' going over the rollers in that middle third. 

I remember the waterpoints looking like battlefields with bodies and bikes strewn all over the place.

I think I still have the tan lines seared into my flesh

Any life-saving tips from seasoned professionals for us newbies doing our first one?

So far my thinking is to ride at a moderate pace for the first 50km (where possible, I am told there are sections that are unridable), survive for the next 30km through the mountains, and once I get to the gravel roads at the bottom of Eight Bells, do whatever to hang on for the last 35km on gravel roads that I fortunately know quite well. 

Riding with two 500ml bottles, a 2L Camelback, and a stash of energy bars and gels.  

Edited by Stephan

Cool down at any stream that u see , and cold water over your head at every chance you get.... Did it in 2022 when it was also high 40's...  It was not fun

2 hours ago, Stephan said:

Any life-saving tips from seasoned professionals for us newbies doing our first one?

So far my thinking is to ride at a moderate pace for the first 50km (where possible, I am told there are sections that are unridable), survive for the next 30km through the mountains, and once I get to the gravel roads at the bottom of Eight Bells, do whatever to hang on for the last 35km on gravel roads that I fortunately know quite well. 

Riding with two 500ml bottles, a 2L Camelback, and a stash of energy bars and gels.  

Go slower than moderate pace the first 80km. Fill up your bottles and camelback at waterpoints. You do not want to be caught between waterpoints without water.  At these predicted temperatures the kloof feels like an oven. Expect temps close to 50 degrees C there. Also, when walking and pushing your bike on the climbs through the kloof, it takes forever to tick off the km's. Cool off as much as possible where possible, it is going to be a thriller. 

Edited by W@nted