[Event] Attakwas Extreme

Dryland Events

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, W Smith said:

Time for the organisers to consider moving this popular eventĀ  event to a cooler month.

Why? Just do another popular event on the calendar. Heat is a known factor with Atta.

11 hours ago, fanievb said:

DNF at Bonniedale.Ā 

Heatstroke & sky high blood pressureĀ 

That 51deg in the kloof was 'n MF.Ā 

Kudos to the hardebaarde that made it to the finishĀ 

Sounds proper hot, no fun.Ā 

Wonder wear the actual peak high was.Ā  Don't believe a measurement of 51 as actual temperature though, that's a Garmin sitting in the sun.Ā 

26 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Sounds proper hot, no fun.Ā 

Wonder wear the actual peak high was.Ā  Don't believe a measurement of 51 as actual temperature though, that's a Garmin sitting in the sun.Ā 

Maybe, but the rider is sitting in the same sunĀ šŸ˜œ

4 hours ago, Rudi Pollard said:

What a brutal day! If I had cellphone signal on the drag after bonnivale I would've DNF'ed. Eventually dragged it home in 9h09

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-20 at 17.15.39.jpeg

Good Lord. šŸ„µ

2 hours ago, W Smith said:

Time for the organisers to consider moving this popular eventĀ  event to a cooler month.

They never will, the death heat is the point. But I agree that if it did Iā€™d do it. At 51deg am not your man.Ā 

2 hours ago, Rudi Pollard said:

I don't agree. The weather is one of the many reasons it is Extreme

Fact.Ā 

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Why? Just do another popular event on the calendar. Heat is a known factor with Atta.

Also fact.Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, JacquesJ said:

Maybe, but the rider is sitting in the same sunĀ šŸ˜œ

Sure. It's just not the actual ambient temperature though so doesn't actually say how hot it actually was.Ā 

5 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Sure. It's just not the actual ambient temperature though so doesn't actually say how hot it actually was.Ā 

Solank ons net saamstem dat ditĀ šŸ’©warm was šŸ˜„

1 hour ago, JacquesJ said:

Solank ons net saamstem dat ditĀ šŸ’©warm was šŸ˜„

Indeed! I see the race report says in the 40s.

Flippen šŸ”„Ā 

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

Most people mentioned high 40s, I see Jan mentioned he got a reading of 47. Prob fair to say the average ambient temp was likely in the mid 40s.Ā 
*** warm!

Climbing up to KOM guys were getting readings of 52 and 53, but it felt like mid 40s, maybe because of the breeze. Riding out of Bonniedale felt far warmer, but there was no wind. Average of mid 40s feels correct.Ā 

12 hours ago, W Smith said:

Stem ja, skuif hom, that atta 2 years back was my last atta because of the heat, my Desember holiday is also so much more relaxed not training for the atta

13 hours ago, W Smith said:

Ā 

1 hour ago, LuckyLuke said:

Stem ja, skuif hom, that atta 2 years back was my last atta because of the heat, my Desember holiday is also so much more relaxed not training for the atta

You might have missed this part of the marketing blurb

image.png.82c86e2e60216a3d6b6f9df606b82c4e.png

+ the fact that it is now an established Epic prep race, I don't see organisers moving the date unless entry numbers take a series dip

9 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Most people mentioned high 40s, I see Jan mentioned he got a reading of 47. Prob fair to say the average ambient temp was likely in the mid 40s.Ā 
*** warm!

I doubt the actual temperature was above 40, but wasn't there so happy to be wrong.

The people who rode it definitely deserve the stories they have,Ā  but a Garmin on a handle bar is not a reliable temperature measurement device.

8 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I doubt the actual temperature was above 40, but wasn't there so happy to be wrong.

The people who rode it definitely deserve the stories they have,Ā  but a Garmin on a handle bar is not a reliable temperature measurement device.

Youā€™ve spent too much time in a shebeen.

First of all, Kudos to those brave enough to submit themselves to this torture. (Or maybe, as jy dom is, moet jy suffer). I doubt Garmin would make an instrument super inaccurate. I reckon the readings have more to do with the sun's reflection on the surface of the gauge, which may affect the relevant ic on the pc board.

I know a nerdy someone in Garmin Olathe, have sent him the pic of the above gauge reading of 51.4Ā°C and asked him about the gauge's accuracy...