Using a MTB in the Netherlands

Ant in the NL

Hi there, will a 29er equipped with regular MTB rubber and a 32T 11/50T set up be OK for riding/commuting in the NL? Commuting, social riding, etc.....or is it advisable to replace the 32T with a 34T and fit hybrid rubber....or shelve the bike and get a commuter?

TYIA

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Shea_leigh Janneker said:

You can buy a commuter for as little as € 150 upwards and you will blend in and your won't have the headache of it being stolen and then keep your good bike for those special occasions 

Was wondering about the MTB chassis being a bit of an eyesore amongst the other commuter bikes 😄....she's only a hardtail, but still....

My husband commutes about 25km each way in NL. He has a hardtail that he built up to commute on. Some bike lanes have a weird rubbery composite material and the combination of this and the tar can really eat your tires up, so some sort of commute tyre or honeycombed gravel tyre with low rolling resistance works well. It's nice having some extra grip for when it's rainy. His bike takes a back rack (we bought some nice racks that take panniers that clip on/off that we can also use for longer bike packing trips) and he puts his clothes and lunch etc in these. He has somewhere secure to store his bike inside at work - bike theft is a big and real thing here... Having a dedicated commuter will be a good idea - I wouldn't leave this bike outside at the shops or use it to carry groceries home. 

Also remember in the winter there is salt on the roads and bike lanes for when it's icey, so you need to be religious about washing your bike properly on a weekly basis if you commute. The gunk thatcomes off the roads and bike lanes when it rains is unbelievable. 

If you are going to live in the East (from Hilversum/Utrecht eastwards) or far south there is some nice MTBing, and lots of great riding to be done in Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and beyond. If you live in the Randstad around Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Den Haag, prepare to be extremely disappointed when it comes to MTB or gravel opportunities. Not very interesting at all... Put the 34 or 36 on, but keep the 32 for when you do some adventure trips.

Edited by Sydd

34 minutes ago, AntVanR said:

Hi there, will a 29er equipped with regular MTB rubber and a 32T 11/50T set up be OK for riding/commuting in the NL? Commuting, social riding, etc.....or is it advisable to replace the 32T with a 34T and fit hybrid rubber....or shelve the bike and get a commuter?

TYIA

Sell your HT and get a commuter - with a basket in front - then you'll be able to keep up with the old tannies 🤪

4 minutes ago, PregoRoll said:

Netherlands is pan flat, 

Get ready to be humbled by an old Tannie with a front basket full of groceries, averaging 35kmh down the bike lane

No doubts.....been treated to that kind of humility by a bloke in overalls tearing along on an old 6spd steel bike before.... :)

Just now, KB280DT said:

Sell your HT and get a commuter - with a basket in front - then you'll be able to keep up with the old tannies 🤪

lol....it's at this stage one asks whether I would be wanting to keep up with the tannies 😅😅😅😅

6 minutes ago, Sydd said:

My husband commutes about 25km each way in NL. He has a hardtail that he built up to commute on. Some bike lanes have a weird rubbery composite material and the combination of this and the tar can really eat your tires up, so some sort of commute tyre or honeycombed gravel tyre with low rolling resistance works well. It's nice having some extra grip for when it's rainy. His bike takes a back rack (we bought some nice racks that take panniers that clip on/off that we can also use for longer bike packing trips) and he puts his clothes and lunch etc in these. He has somewhere secure to store his bike inside at work - bike theft is a big and real thing here... 

Also remember in the winter there is salt on the roads and bike lanes for when it's icey, so you need to be religious about washing your bike properly on a weekly basis if you commute. The gunk thatcomes off the roads and bike lanes when it rains is unbelievable. 

If you are going to live in the East (from Hilversum/Utrecht eastwards) or far south there is some nice MTBing, and lots of great riding to be done in Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and beyond. If you live in the Randstad around Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Den Haag, prepare to be extremely disappointed when it comes to MTB or gravel opportunities. Not very interesting at all...

100% thank you! 

Re gears - I spent some time in Germany during Sept and it seems many commuter bikes are fitted with some sort of internal hub, not unlike these, plus a front dynamo hub powering the cycle light.

Edited by Pieter-za

22 hours ago, AntVanR said:

Was wondering about the MTB chassis being a bit of an eyesore amongst the other commuter bikes 😄....she's only a hardtail, but still....

I commuted with a Dutch bikes and also my MTB when I lived there 20years ago. The 32 will be fine. Which city are you going to be living in? Some of the cities inland do have some short steep hills and bridges

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I commuted with a Dutch bikes and also my MTB when I lived there 20years ago. The 32 will be fine. Which city are you going to be living in? Some of the cities inland do have some short steep hills and bridges

We will be in Amsterdam for Dec, then nearer Hoorn/Zwaagdijk from Jan/Feb

ok you chose a windy spot for a reason??? LOL

32 or 34 will serve you well. In Autumn and through winter the wind off the North Sea is something else. In summer the weather is great and you might want taller gearing but the 32 will be ok to start with on your MTB.

Just get good locks because their thieves are craftsmen, they take pride in their profession and stealing bikes in creative ways is very much a thing. They generally leave the lock for you as a momento so don't get too attached to the bike. I went through a Euro50 bike from the RijweilPaleis at least once every months. It was still cheaper than the Strippenkaart i needed to use the trams.

I never needed a car but when I did I'd just hire from avis