Adriaan Theron

Have a 50 miler entry available if anyone is interested, DM me - Taken

Edited by can on dale

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the times from last year shows this race is seriously fast, I can see why it's suited to gravel bikes. I guess with similar elevation gain over 160km's to the Cape Town Cycle Tour that's too be expected.
I'm considering doing it on one of my vintage bikes with 28C tires. Just hoping there's not too much mud otherwise I'll be in for a very long day 🤪

3 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Looking at the times from last year shows this race is seriously fast, I can see why it's suited to gravel bikes. I guess with similar elevation gain over 160km's to the Cape Town Cycle Tour that's too be expected.
I'm considering doing it on one of my vintage bikes with 28C tires. Just hoping there's not too much mud otherwise I'll be in for a very long day 🤪

Interesting, I am running on 45mm tyres - will see how this goes - will hopefully add to the comfort factor.

58 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Probably the most gravel bike friendly of all the races I have done, especially if the 20km section after the tar road to Gouda was graded recently.

Really the only tricky section on the gravel bike would be the jeep track next to the railway between Riebeek Wes and Riebeek Kasteel near the finish.

2 hours ago, can on dale said:

Have a 50 miler entry available if anyone is interested, DM me - Taken

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Probably the most gravel bike friendly of all the races I have done, especially if the 20km section after the tar road to Gouda was graded recently.

Really the only tricky section on the gravel bike would be the jeep track next to the railway between Riebeek Wes and Riebeek Kasteel near the finish.

After trail-by-fire introduction to gravel at Houw Hoek and Gallows I'm keen for "gravel bike friendly"!

Just hoping I'm fully cleared from illness and won't have dead legs after all the downtime...

7 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

After trail-by-fire introduction to gravel at Houw Hoek and Gallows I'm keen for "gravel bike friendly"!

Just hoping I'm fully cleared from illness and won't have dead legs after all the downtime...

Much more in line with what I think a gravel race should look like compared to the 2 mentioned above..

Average speed of the winners last year was 32km/h+ 

11 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Much more in line with what I think a gravel race should look like compared to the 2 mentioned above..

Average speed of the winners last year was 32km/h+ 

Race to the sun was 33+ for me, was still *** compared to Gallows 🤣

Edited by Jbr

3 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Race to the sun was 33+ for me, was still *** 🤣

Wow!

I see Ronde van Riebeek has about 400m more elevation (and I thought it was a flat race)

Guess the road conditions are luck of the draw, last year it was mostly good with some rutted sections in-between but not enough to spoil the ride.

24 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

does anyone have a phone number for the event organisers? Sportsmans Warehouse seem oblivous regarding the number collection today.

Maybe try EntryNinja, I see number collection is only from 15:00.

I also see that prizegiving is scheduled for 13:00, which means the front runners are expected to finish the course in under/around 5hrs, ie 30kmh average. Thats pretty haastig… or is it just me? Not that I consider myself to be in contention, just hypothesising on my anticipated riding time on my trusty DS.  

2 minutes ago, Rowl said:

That time has been changed several times, first it was from 14:00, now the website says 16:00. A fellow rider went there about 30mins ago and they (SW) didn’t know anything about RVR. 

I get slightly annoyed when I have questions and there’s no phone number available and also no reply on socials. On the plus side, roads seem to have been graded according to the most recent posts on Insta. Might just pull out my roadbike and ditch the DS 😝

18 minutes ago, Rowl said:

From their FB post a couple of days ago:

Thursday 
Sportsman's Warehouse Canal Walk.
4pm-7pm

Friday 
Riebeek Kasteel Laerskool Sportgronde Klubhuis
4-8pm

Saturday 
Riebeek Kasteel Laerskool Sportgronde Klubhuis
From 6am