[Event] Ronde Van Riebeek

Adriaan Theron

1 hour ago, Kom said:

i dunno - i recall alot of cow-pies through the course last year - hygiene is underestimated.

Side Note - lesson from Gallows - label/tag your Uswe packs people!

Maybe a bit off the topic, but @Kom touched on something very important. Guys and girls, or whatever you identify as, please do not leave your bikes unattended with GPS gadgets attached to the bars. Incidents of "selective shopping" have increased. Good friend of mine got his Garmin taken off his bike at the 36ONE finish last weekend.

I would have expected that we, avid bikers that is, had each other's backs covered when it comes to crime. I got to grow up I suppose 😏

Please keep your tech under your eyes at all times.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall many bikes in the bike park area at the cycle tour with head units . I have always taken mine off 

17 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

This was accurate 😂🙈

I wished i stayed in bed this morning 30km in when my blader was bouncing around…

The course was lekker. We actually started on time and without incident. Sand was moist and easy rolling. Wind was less than expected. Cold wasn't too bad. That last watercrossing on the singletrack wasn't filled with shitwater this year (I didn't dare drink from my waterbottles for the last 8km last year; switched to a pack for this year). I heard some complaints about the water stations - no bananas or Enduren (both of which was advertised), and then first-timers complaining that the last waterpoint left 37km to the finish. Was the beer at least free? 

1 minute ago, Vaultboy said:

The course was lekker. We actually started on time and without incident. Sand was moist and easy rolling. Wind was less than expected. Cold wasn't too bad. That last watercrossing on the singletrack wasn't filled with shitwater this year (I didn't dare drink from my waterbottles for the last 8km last year; switched to a pack for this year). I heard some complaints about the water stations - no bananas or Enduren (both of which was advertised), and then first-timers complaining that the last waterpoint left 37km to the finish. Was the beer at least free? 

The course got better as the race went on. The 23k section after the tar was hell though.

the beer was free, whether it was Belgian depends on your views on Stella 😂

13 minutes ago, MongooseMan said:

The course got better as the race went on. The 23k section after the tar was hell though.

the beer was free, whether it was Belgian depends on your views on Stella 😂

I had a mechanical with my bars slipping there and that was it , battled to catch the guys towards front of the field there after 

3 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

First time I see Nik Naks at a water point 😂

It was'nt nik-naks, but marshmallows 🤣

The corrugations must have got the better of you.

53 minutes ago, Mook said:

It was'nt nik-naks, but marshmallows 🤣

The corrugations must have got the better of you.

😂👀No, It was definitely Niknaks . At water point 2! Along with banana bread etc. 

Enjoyed the ride, corrugations but hey that's part of it. Started at the back of the 50M and made some progress. Saw two guys go down at the turn onto the gravel (gravel bike's wheel slid out).

Good mix of gravel and mtb, and the odd ebike. Happy with the waterpoints, yes there was nik naks. Nice atmosphere on the ride and at the finish. Skipped the Stella and headed home. Yes I'll be back, first one and glad to not have braved the mud of last year.

Edited by Rowl
Spelling

Indeed Niknaks! 
also my first
we must have started at the back together, I was late and got there just before the start🙈 then had a mechanical on the first gravel section after making up some good places on the tar section.

On 5/31/2024 at 10:58 AM, Jbr said:

or just own a shitty camelbak that nobody is going to steal 🤣

mine is so old that any thief that has style will not take mine.

2 hours ago, Rowl said:

Enjoyed the ride, corrugations but hey that's part of it. Started at the back of the 50M and made some progress. Saw two guys go down at the turn onto the gravel (gravel bike's wheel slid out).

Good mix of gravel and mtb, and the odd ebike. Happy with the waterpoints, yes there was nik naks. Nice atmosphere on the ride and at the finish. Skipped the Stella and headed home. Yes I'll be back, first one and glad to not have braved the mud of last year.

I did this race last year, the 100 miler. Don't recall any mud. 

Lekker event this. Fast route, lacks a proper climb to make it excellent.

Fell in with a group that was slightly too fast for me in the first half and definitely felt the effects of 36one over the second half. 

Gorgeous countryside riding and my alu 2019 checkpoint with tiagra groupset, Lyne dropper and 45c cinturato m carried the 92kg mamilian bulk over the corrugations with only minor cursing. 

These new bone conducting shokz open runs add a whole dimension and mess with my pacing. Strongly recommended.

Mamil tip for people with very long legs, dropping the saddle just 5cm when hitting the sinkplaat really helps control the bike.

Finished exactly mid pack in 6hrs and change feeling like I'd achieved something and only stopping for 3 mins at 3rd water point courtesy of 3 liter USWE.

Didn't stay for beer due to other commitments.

I'll do it again for sure.

Edited by Mamil

Hi guys,

I left my white POC helmet (with some Castelli GoreTex winter gloves inside) next to the car in the parking lot after the race on Saturday. When I sent back to look about 15 mins later, it was gone.

Please let me know if anyone found it, or handed it in. Would be much appreciated!