GCN+ Closing

WIPEOUT 1000

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So....I have been looking at alternatives but seem to be hitting speedbumps. 

1. I have a VPN setup - so that is sorted! 

2. Only viable options seem to be Discover Plus in the UK. One can also go Eurosport - but basically same thing, same setup. 

3. You cannot access or sign up for Discovery Plus as it detects when you access it via SA. Refer back to Point 1. VPN sorts that out. So..I can access the sign up page.

4. To cover all cycling similar to GCN you need to take the standard package. 7 Pounds/month. A lot more expensive than GCN but still a hellofalot cheaper than DSTV CRAP! Commentators are the old GCN commentators. Cool! 

Here comes the speedbumps...

5. My Android phone does not list Discovery Plus in the App store.  It does list the Eurosport App but whether that is the app to stream live TV - I do not know. On my Windows PC - same thing. No discovery plus app but the Eurosport App (with/without live streaming - dunno)

6. My Android media player linked to TV has Discovery Plus but tells me it is not compatible with my device...sigh! 

7. I am not sure whether signing up to Discovery Plus/Eurosport will require a UK Credit Card. I do not want to subscribe if I cannot fairly easy stream live TV on my PC, Phone or TV. 

Has anyone progressed further than me? I.e. Subscribe and test on devices? 

9 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

2. Only viable options seem to be Discover Plus in the UK. One can also go Eurosport - but basically same thing, same setup. 

3. You cannot access or sign up for Discovery Plus as it detects when you access it via SA. Refer back to Point 1. VPN sorts that out. So..I can access the sign up page.

4. To cover all cycling similar to GCN you need to take the standard package. 7 Pounds/month. A lot more expensive than GCN but still a hellofalot cheaper than DSTV CRAP! Commentators are the old GCN commentators. Cool! 

5. My Android phone does not list Discovery Plus in the App store.  It does list the Eurosport App but whether that is the app to stream live TV - I do not know. On my Windows PC - same thing. No discovery plus app but the Eurosport App (with/without live streaming - dunno)

6. My Android media player linked to TV has Discovery Plus but tells me it is not compatible with my device...sigh! 

7. I am not sure whether signing up to Discovery Plus/Eurosport will require a UK Credit Card. I do not want to subscribe if I cannot fairly easy stream live TV on my PC, Phone or TV. 

apk downloaders will sort this out, the only downside is you may not be up to date with the latest version of that app... apktoid apkpure to name a few...

i did this during RWC using ITV, it was short lived when there IT folk got smart enough and figured out that people were using VPN's in to login, and such it stopped working at the latter stage of the tournament.

25 minutes ago, Meezo said:

apk downloaders will sort this out, the only downside is you may not be up to date with the latest version of that app... apktoid apkpure to name a few...

i did this during RWC using ITV, it was short lived when there IT folk got smart enough and figured out that people were using VPN's in to login, and such it stopped working at the latter stage of the tournament.

Ok so I just tried to subscribe and immediately tells me I cannot pay in my current territory. I.e. you would need a UK based Credit Card....Aaaaaarrgghhhh

Back to the drawing board

8 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Ok so I just tried to subscribe and immediately tells me I cannot pay in my current territory. I.e. you would need a UK based Credit Card....Aaaaaarrgghhhh

Back to the drawing board

not ideal... could paypal not work?

9 minutes ago, Meezo said:

not ideal... could paypal not work?

Yup - tried that too...same result 😞 

Must pick up the card linked to my paypal account is ZA

3 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Thanks for sharing!

4 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Waiting with baited breath for that post that smooths out these speedbumps ....:thumbup:

Would be SO nice to have a SINGLE streaming provider that gives us the option of a few sports, movies, series .... and NO VPN ... ons mag maar droom ....

Last year the YT coverage of the Dakar was very nice.  This year there is possibly more content on their page .... but most only 2 to 4 minutes ..... where are the days of a 30 minute session giving you the full days feedback.  Maybe just a sign of the times .... quick short flash videos .....

Seems our cycling coverage is going this way as well .... short videos on social media.

4 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Waiting with baited breath for that post that smooths out these speedbumps ....:thumbup:

Would be SO nice to have a SINGLE streaming provider that gives us the option of a few sports, movies, series .... and NO VPN ... ons mag maar droom ....

Last year the YT coverage of the Dakar was very nice.  This year there is possibly more content on their page .... but most only 2 to 4 minutes ..... where are the days of a 30 minute session giving you the full days feedback.  Maybe just a sign of the times .... quick short flash videos .....

Seems our cycling coverage is going this way as well .... short videos on social media.

Problem is the license to broadcast different sports are owned by different entities. And since chasing profits are much more important than sharing or working together - we will never see the service we so much seek. And as long as Thieves-TV (aka DSTV) holds the monopoly on sport in SA and forces a full premium package FULL OF CRAP down your throat, we will always be on the losing side. 

17 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Install Kodi on a device, then install a build, I use Diggz Aspire. then watch whatever you want, Eurosport for Dakar,.... Eurosport/Astrosports/Fox Sport Aus for cycling, As the live streams are scraped they can go down, but it is less frequently than it does on Tiz-cycling, and are usually up again quite quickly, else if you know where to look on Kodi, you will have a number of streams to switch to if the one you were watching does not come back.  You can also stream movies and series. Can be used with or without VPN. 

Edit, if you use Real Debrid for movies and link with Kodi, quality of movies will always be good.

Edited by shaper

Just now, shaper said:

Install Kodi on a device, then install a build, I use Diggz Aspire. then watch whatever you want, Eurosport for Dakar,.... Eurosport/Astrosports/Fox Sport Aus for cycling, As the live streams are scraped they can go down, but it is less frequently than it does on Tiz-cycling, and are usually up again quite quickly, else if you know where to look on Kodi, you will have a number of streams to switch to if the one you were watching does not come back.  You can also stream movies and series. Can be used with or without VPN. 

I tried Kodi once and halfway in gave up en now only download my series en movies via torrent..maybe my instructions or way of doing it was wrong. Tiz and cycling today is working okayish

2 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Problem is the license to broadcast different sports are owned by different entities. And since chasing profits are much more important than sharing or working together - we will never see the service we so much seek. And as long as Thieves-TV (aka DSTV) holds the monopoly on sport in SA and forces a full premium package FULL OF CRAP down your throat, we will always be on the losing side. 

Too true.  Without the three ball sports dstv wont survive.

Locking down a few other sports is just part of their game plan.

I miss my F1 and WRC.  Would love to follow the various MTB series.  Doubt one streaming service will ever have all of this in one package.

Then again.  THANKS to dstv we cant watch these, and I have more time for my cycling and family time.

During December I came close to signing up for Netflix .... glad I did not  (yea, I know it can be done month-to-month ....)

4 minutes ago, shaper said:

Edit, if you use Real Debrid for movies and link with Kodi, quality of movies will always be good.

I love it when you speak foreign ... :eek:

I am MUCH more comfortable in the garage than with these electronic gadgets .... (though I do my fair share of this)

5 minutes ago, shaper said:

movies will always be good.

for the most part, you sometimes still get CAM content (mostly on very new only just released or yet to be released stuff though). 

And then on not very popular or some older stuff when there are very few providers, the quality is not that great.

2 minutes ago, Jensie said:

I tried Kodi once and halfway in gave up en now only download my series en movies via torrent..maybe my instructions or way of doing it was wrong. Tiz and cycling today is working okayish

Perhaps try again. I have been using Kodi since xbmc days, over 10yrs.  Watch what I want when I want, never had a VPN in all that time