GCN+ Closing

WIPEOUT 1000

On 11/18/2023 at 5:57 AM, Frosty said:

For me, it’s their greed and inflexibility.

A grand a month (on a dual view decoder) to be limited by their schedule. I left in 2018 before streaming became a thing. I found myself flipping channels trying to find something to watch, i.e. a slave to their schedule.

Netflix and GCN+ cost less than a quarter of that, and I could watch what I wanted, when I wanted. I already had an internet connection, as the Mrs has her own business from home that requires a connection.

Precisely. I have no interest in most of what is offered on DSTV and neither do I have the time to watch all of it or watch events when they are broadcast instead of later, on demand as a replay. And ya, there is no comparison to GCN+ and Netflix from a  price point of view.  Even F! is available as  a streaming service independent of satellite TV providers. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Precisely. I have no interest in most of what is offered on DSTV and neither do I have the time to watch all of it or watch events when they are broadcast instead of later, on demand as a replay. And ya, there is no comparison to GCN+ and Netflix from a  price point of view.  Even F! is available as  a streaming service independent of satellite TV providers. 

makes you wonder that if DSTV did not have Soccer, SA Rugby and Cricket, would they still have the market share that they do?

On 11/18/2023 at 5:15 AM, Long Wheel Base said:

Genuine question here, why all the hate for DSTV?

I have been a premium subscriber for as long as I can remember and I get to watch everything I’m reading about here as well as F1 from Friday FP to Sunday race, motoGP the same, all the UFC (as well as the local EFC), almost all the boxing (they do miss some of the smaller events), all the rugby and cricket i can think of. I don’t watch soccer but there are like 4 channels for that. My kids are happy with their channels, my wife enjoys the stuff she watches. TBH, what am I missing out on? I have never tried any of these streaming sites. I don’t have super fast internet as I don’t need it for work so I would need to pay more to upgrade that in order to try. 
I’m not saying I am loyal to dstv, just wondering what I’m missing because I just switch on my tv and watch and all I pay is just under a grand. Cost is a big thing for me, what would I need to pay, just for the internet to stream? If I dumped dstv, would it cost me less than a grand a month to watch all of the above without hassle?

They have a monopoly on the sports in the country. The rest of the channels no one really cares about anymore as everyone either streams via Netflix, Disney, Apple TV etc. I think most people would subscribe to a sports subscription at a reduced price but they will never do that as they know that they will lose all their premium subscribers. But because they have the licensing for the sports, they kind of force it upon you as there is no other option.

I think their premium package should be at the price of the compact package at R299. At this price i would 100% subscribe.  Alternatively, give us a full sports package for this price. 

35 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

They have a monopoly on the sports in the country. The rest of the channels no one really cares about anymore as everyone either streams via Netflix, Disney, Apple TV etc. I think most people would subscribe to a sports subscription at a reduced price but they will never do that as they know that they will lose all their premium subscribers. But because they have the licensing for the sports, they kind of force it upon you as there is no other option.

I think their premium package should be at the price of the compact package at R299. At this price i would 100% subscribe.  Alternatively, give us a full sports package for this price. 

I would be interested to see the stats of the no. of people with TV license that also have a DSTV subscription.

20 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

Problem is that buying the sports rights and having the presenters, pundits, talk shows etc. makes up a massive proportion of their cost base so a "Sports Only" package would be like 80-85% of the cost of the premium package.

21 hours ago, Hairy said:

makes you wonder that if DSTV did not have Soccer, SA Rugby and Cricket, would they still have the market share that they do?

Would they even exist? Showing reruns of Sister Act II will only take you so far...

• 2 weeks later...

The Paris-Brest-Paris film was released yesterday. I know of two people that have done it, one of whom is a friend.

Anyone here done it?
Anyone thinking of doing it?

My subscription ends on 14th. I have looked into the option of paying for Eurosport via paypal, but you still need to link a US card or bank account otherwise the payment is geo-blocked. The only other way I think it could work, is to use two paypal accounts: one to pay a balance in USD to the other and use the paypal balance to pay for subscription. What a schlep.

On 11/29/2023 at 4:58 PM, Frosty said:

The Paris-Brest-Paris film was released yesterday. I know of two people that have done it, one of whom is a friend.

Anyone here done it?
Anyone thinking of doing it?

I did it with my cousin in 2015, amazing experience, so many emotions, so many awesome memories, so blessed that I could finish it.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Are we any closer to knowing where to watch UCI MTB in 2024 ?

I'll be forced to watch it on the service who shall not be named

8 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

I'll be forced to watch it on the service who shall not be named

Part of me hopes the cycling gets added to the Disney package.....

Currently considering streaming options ....