The Munga 2023

JohanDiv

33 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

I'd take a stab and say a few main reasons.

One, redundancy, should your hydration bladder pop or malfunction you still have a backup in the form of a bottle in the Tankwa.

Two, variety. Having just water gets old if you have big gaps between WPs, having one bottle coke, one bottle energade, one bottle water gives you some options I guess. 

Given the budget, I'd be rocking a full frame bag with a big bladder in the bottom along woth ine spare bottle, similar to Bianchi Arcadex dude.

For sure. I don't mean 'instead of bottle', but as an option. 

I wouldn't take a bladder, I'm not a fan, they are tough to full in stream trickles and they burst. I was picturing a paddling bottle. It is essentially almost 4 regular bottles, so you fill that with water and still have a bottle of coke/water and a bottle of protein drink.

I've been lucky enough to do RASA and a few other decent length adventures. Having drink options and food on hand is essential to ticking off miles without stopping but remaining 'topped up' for tomorrow. 

200km plus or minus change between refueling stations is a long way. Looking at last years times, 90 to 110 hours is a realistic goal for 'most'.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, TyronLab said:

I'd also like to give the oke riding the Rapide Tigre with day-to-day components some kudos. There's a clear trend of those that can afford the entry also not being shy to splurge on their bikes too. Its refreshing to see a bike in the mix that's more steel and duct tape than Apidura and primo-everything.

I, for one, wouldn't bring anything I'm not willing to damage/scratch/drag/rebuild to this ride. I see a lot of post-ride maintenance bills at Cyclelab being more than my current bike's value even if all goes smoothly.

That's a mate of mine on the Rapide Tigre,  Oren Azmanov doing I think this is his 3rd Munga and 2nd time on the Tigre

13 hours ago, Mamil said:

Does anyone ride with a Camelbak on their backs or are those 3 or 4 bottle setups the norm?

I reckon it is probably a 50/50 split. I rode with a 3l hydration pack (Uswe - must say they are quite comfortable and you don't feel it after a while in my experience) and 2 x 800ml bottles in the frame.

Except for the stretch through the Tankwa and between Fraserburg and Sutherland you can find water along the route.

1 hour ago, shaper said:

That's a mate of mine on the Rapide Tigre,  Oren Azmanov doing I think this is his 3rd Munga and 2nd time on the Tigre

Hey I rode with him at 947. Sort of overheard him in the start pen telling his mates he will take it very easy for 947 as the big ride is coming up. Didnt quite hear what ride it was.

Seems like a decent bloke, strong too. Good luck to him.

11 hours ago, Koos Likkewaan 2 said:

Didn't even see the Rapide.🙈. Damn, if someone is willing to do this on a Rapide, then I guess I should never complain about doing marathon type riding with mine. I guess it can do it all.😀

My Rapide with 100mm travel is doing the Attakwas, it can be done.

10 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Hey I rode with him at 947. Sort of overheard him in the start pen telling his mates he will take it very easy for 947 as the big ride is coming up. Didnt quite hear what ride it was.

Seems like a decent bloke, strong too. Good luck to him.

He rode with the Club100 guys at 947

3 minutes ago, shaper said:

He rode with the Club100 guys at 947

yep, the same guys I tried to stick with right in the beginning. They left me for dead.

But him, I and another Club 100 rider rode together until Kyalami, I then met up with him again on the return drag on the M1, but didnt have the legs to stick with them.

23 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

yep, the same guys I tried to stick with right in the beginning. They left me for dead.

But him, I and another Club 100 rider rode together until Kyalami, I then met up with him again on the return drag on the M1, but didnt have the legs to stick with them.

Think his race plan was to race hard the first half then do the hills on tired legs on the way back, having done a 90km gravel ride the day before.

I'm glad for the riders that the heat broke last night. We were sitting at 40 degrees yesterday. Should 'only' be about 30 when they start with - as always - a headwind.

18 hours ago, JohanDiv said:

Willie Smit's bike looking streamline. He is obviously not planning on sleeping or sitting much more than 50 hours on that.

I did see some comment from him that he sees not sleeping for 50h straight as the biggest challenge ... would imply he is thinking about the record

Only windgat if you don't make it I guess

4 hours ago, shaper said:

Off Topic: How badass of a name is Oren Azmanov?!? It's the name of a person that invented the first tank that shoots lasers and sharks. Please tell me he has a wild, bushy moustache...

28 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

Off Topic: How badass of a name is Oren Azmanov?!? It's the name of a person that invented the first tank that shoots lasers and sharks. Please tell me he has a wild, bushy moustache...

Hold the phone there Dr Evil! Sharks with frikkin laserbeams on their heads!