How many helmets is too many helmets.?

Bike Dewing

13 minutes ago, wolver said:

That new Leatt  MTB Endurance 4.0 V24 Helmet is quite nice. Not to mountain-bikey so could use on the road too🤔

Might that be a GRAVEL helmet, cos That sounds perfect for my bike, it is a GRAVEL bike.! 🤘🏻🤣🤣

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Lies…nobody rides my other bikes. They can go buy their own crap😅

Hey watchit .... NEVER said they can ride my bike !!!!!!!! 😉

I will (have) lent them a lid when they rent a bike at Bloemies ....

35 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

I'm still not convinced that it's more than a tiny, marginal improvement marketed as the best thing since airbags. Much like Kashima.

I've had several helmets with it. My current MTB helmet (Spez Ambush 2) has it, but my road helmet (Giro Agilis) does not. Do I think the Ambush is safer? Yes, but because it's much larger with much more coverage, not because it has MIPS.

Oh, back to the topic: There are 4 helmets in my gear cupboard, 2 of which are actively used.

When I bought the Scott helmet I did not even know it had MIPS.  Did not even what MIPS was back then.

When came off outside Ashton the helmet slid over the MIPS, exactly as it should, to the extent that it moved over my eyes like a motorcycle helmet visor 😬  THAT is the only detail I actually recall of the fall.  Without that movement in the system my neck would have taken so much more of a beating.  

Once in about 30 000km on bicycles .... but it WORKED when I needed it.

Anecdotal at best ... enough for me .... 🤣

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

When I bought the Scott helmet I did not even know it had MIPS.  Did not even what MIPS was back then.

When came off outside Ashton the helmet slid over the MIPS, exactly as it should, to the extent that it moved over my eyes like a motorcycle helmet visor 😬  THAT is the only detail I actually recall of the fall.  Without that movement in the system my neck would have taken so much more of a beating.  

Once in about 30 000km on bicycles .... but it WORKED when I needed it.

Anecdotal at best ... enough for me .... 🤣

Yaaa I think it’s one of those rather have it and not need it vibes.. 

I have a road helmet, an MTB helmet with lower back of the head protection and removeable visor and a Bell  MTB helmet with removeable chin bar for when I used to shred the gnar

I also have 2 x old road helmets that were retired having never been crashed but got  old, as well as 1 x retired old MTB helmet 

I had more retired or crashed helmets but I have donated those to the skip because I have way too much bike related clutter.

All have MIPS. I may be due a new road helmet soon too. I think I bought this current one beginning of 2021, so 3 years is just about up

Partial hijack: I just got a new Bell and even though I also have a MTB) I left the visor on for a road ride and loved it - the visor stops air blowing down my forehead which makes my (allergy sensitive eyes stream!).

At 60 years old I'm not worried about what level of wrong I'm at! 🙂

And for correctness sake I have 3 helmets.....

As a horse rider you usually have a different helmet for your different disciplines based on aesthetics as well as safety. Falling while doing flat work/dressage (horse ballet) is usually different to falling while showjumping (jumping courses over coloured poles) and different again to falling while doing cross country (fixed/natural obstacles such as logs, often approached in a full gallop). So we usually have at least two, maybe three, and certain brands/types are advised for rotational falls (much like the MIPS idea). We’re also conditioned to change our helmets after a single fall, even if there is no visible damage to the helmet. There can be a hairline crack, or some compression in the lining, unseen to the eye. 

So - I change my helmet once a year, but I keep the old one in a dark place as a backup. And the same for my family, even my wife who barely rides. 

Yesterday my kiddo baled off her bike in absolutely spectacular fashion - hit a loose brick lying in the road just outside someone’s house as she was headed down a dirt road at speed. Just in the last month I’d changed her helmet as I noticed a dent in the foam of her old helmet - likely from being dropped. The new helmet has a loose peak/visor and man am I glad, as that visor took some damage yesterday and had it been her old helmet she probably would have had some whiplash plus the impact was just where the old one had a ding (old one has a fixed peak). Had she not had a peak we would have had as a minimum face roasties to go with the arm, knee and chest roasties, or potentially a trip to A&E for X-rays/CT for a head injury. 

I thought 1 was enough, given they "expire", but then I got a 2nd helmet and I saw that it was good. 

Then I got a 3rd helmet and now I feel complete.

The lightweight racy black helmet, the comfy, safe, sturdy, added visibility white helmet, and the airy, grey one that fits in the middle.

reminds me of the old joke.

16 yr old Aisling is scared of her catholic priest finding out she has been fooling around with the alter boys after choir practice and falling pregnant. So even though the Pope is violently against it she uses the pill. And to be double sure she wraps it up into a condom before swallowing,

One decent helmet is plenty, ten bad ones is not enough. They are incredibly expensive for what they are, and the whole replace after xxx time is straight out of a case study at Harvard business school case study on planned obsolesence. There is also no direct correlation between price and safety once you pass the R1000 barrier. 

but hey, man, that is like just my opinion.

23 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

16 yr old Aisling is scared of her catholic priest finding out she has been fooling around with the alter boys after choir practice and falling pregnant. So even though the Pope is violently against it she uses the pill. And to be double sure she wraps it up into a condom before swallowing,

One decent helmet is plenty, ten bad ones is not enough. They are incredibly expensive for what they are, and the whole replace after xxx time is straight out of a case study at Harvard business school case study on planned obsolesence. There is also no direct correlation between price and safety once you pass the R1000 barrier. 

Hahaha for sure.! 

but no I wouldn’t buy a cheap white helmet just because I want a white one..

I won’t sacrifice my safety like that..

5 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

Hahaha for sure.! 

but no I wouldn’t buy a cheap white helmet just because I want a white one..

I won’t sacrifice my safety like that..

Past R1000, now more like past R1500, the differences are more about marketing than engineering .....

Heck .... you can buy a basic helmet without MIPS, for obscene amounts.

I tend to go to the larger shops with a wide range of helmets .... start with MIPS, then start fitting until I find one that fits my noggin ....

Getting difficult to find one with a low mounted peak.

6 hours ago, Shebeen said:

Yes and no. If you want to see ridiculous marketing shop for horse riding helmets lol. Same safety rating on one that costs 15k as one that costs 2k. Aesthetics undoubtedly play a role as well as keeping up with the Jones’ both in cycling and equestrian sports.

I don’t believe you get what you pay for as you can pay through your +rse and still get the same safety rating as something significantly less expensive. 

Sweat, sun exposure, being dropped, falls - helmets age, no doubt. 

To me it’s a small price to pay for peace of mind. For less than the price of a latte a couple of times a month, it’s a no-brainer (yep I did that) and if you want one in every colour and style that’s cool too 😎 

10 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Past R1000, now more like past R1500, the differences are more about marketing than engineering .....

Heck .... you can buy a basic helmet without MIPS, for obscene amounts.

I tend to go to the larger shops with a wide range of helmets .... start with MIPS, then start fitting until I find one that fits my noggin ....

Getting difficult to find one with a low mounted peak.

R1150 buys you the Spez Align II, with MIPS in an array of colours. 

Helmet testing institute has it in the top 20 of ALL bicycle helmets in terms of test results.

It also looks good. 

https://freewheel.co.za/products/align-ii-mips

So, for me, that is the 'base' model I compare all helmets too. I have been using one as my road helmet for nearly 3 years. 

11 hours ago, Shebeen said:

snip ..... and the whole replace after xxx time is straight out of a case study at Harvard business school... snip

My take on this is general knocks, miscellaneous falls off the shelf, being dropped or knocked off the coffee table, the kids kicking it etc....  3 years ish of small knocks, drops etc coupled with sweat, polystyrene being exposed to sun etc and constant use says it likely has some degeneration issues/hairline cracks and won't work as optimally as it should.

The Align II with MIPS makes it an easy sell at roughly 340zar a year