[Event] Lions Karoo to Coast MTB

Zandile Meneses

If anyone can provide some insight in terms of logistics it would be appreciated.

This would be my first time so just thinking of where would be best to stay. If I stay in Knysna, is the pass open in the morning of the race? And would it be feasible to use the pass or is the better option to drive back to George and go that route? Its quite a distance from Knysna to Uniondale so any advice on how people have done it in past events would be appreciated.

Secondly, are there like shuttles available that can transport you and your bike from knysna the morning of the race? I looked at the website but a lot of the options are drivers from Uniondale. Nothing really about knysna to Uniondale.

Alternatively, would it make most sense to rather stay in George as its shorter distance to Uniondale.

I’m obviously assuming that accommodation in Uniondale is booked out already?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think from George is a bit further, but much faster.
(Per Google, if it were not for the road works near George, then driving from Knysna through George to Uniondale would take about the same amount of time as from Knysna to Uniondale).

I think anything even remotely near Uniondale would be sold out.
Previously my parents stayed in a tent in Uniondale, and my mom drove to the finish - I assume we will do the same this year. But if you don't happen to have a partner or friend who can take your car, then you'd still need to pay someone to take your car to the finish.

This year will be my first one as well, so I have no idea about driving the pass on the morning. But depending on weather and how many other people try it, it could be rather stressful getting to the start in time?

Edited by HdB

Check if you can find accommodation in Uniondale or on that side of the mountain. Else stay in George. Regardless if you're on your own you'll have to pay for the car shuttle.

I wouldn't think about driving the pass the morning of, but that's just me.

4 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

I’m obviously assuming that accommodation in Uniondale is booked out already?

So apparently we are sleeping in the church hall this year, instead of tents. Going to be interesting, one way or the other. Less to pack up on Sunday morning, at least.

• 1 month later...

Anyone needing a lift and accommodation for K2C from Durbanville can reach out.

Have one spot, maybe two from Durbanville. Leaving Sat morning 8ish and returning Sunday

On 8/1/2024 at 12:03 PM, Rowl said:

Check if you can find accommodation in Uniondale or on that side of the mountain. Else stay in George. Regardless if you're on your own you'll have to pay for the car shuttle.

I wouldn't think about driving the pass the morning of, but that's just me.

Knysna to Uniondale through de Vlucht will take you 2.5 hours on the morning of the race

I will riding my Gravel bike this year with Pirelli 45C Cinturato Gravel M. Will i survive?

Any transport from Mossel bay to Uniondale on the morning of the race or anyone who can offer me and my bike a lift? I will gladly contribute to cover costs. Please contact me!

Just out of interest, what road must your "support" vehicle drive getting from Uniondale in the morning to Knysna sports fields finish?

Can they go down the R339 towards Knysna?

4 hours ago, Chingy182 said:

Just out of interest, what road must your "support" vehicle drive getting from Uniondale in the morning to Knysna sports fields finish?

Can they go down the R339 towards Knysna?

No they can't -- the FAQ on their website says:

The route closes at 06:30AM – we encourage all vehicles to rather use the route via George.

Does anyone here have a GPX file of the route? I want to put it through the Epic Ride Weather app, to see what we are in for.

1 hour ago, HdB said:

Early days, but the wind direction looks like "fun"

EpicRideWeatherForecast-1726488262724.png.472abfe908df02e972ca725e633792f9.png

Suddenly glad I was forced to to sell my entry 😅.

That year with the rain and hail still too fresh in my mind that even this slight probability of rain and headwind makes my eye twitch.