Cyclelab

JJDT

27 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

you are mistaken. I'm willing to bet that by price matching they are making little to zero profit on that item in the hope that they keep you as a customer and you possibly buy some more stuff from them. They probably also need to move a certain amount of stock from each supplier in order to secure more stock.

If you really wanted to support the LBS and keep them around you'd pay asking price or meet them somewhere in the middle.

This is not directed at you specifically.

People keep bargaining business down for better prices, price match this, price match that, but when the business closes down because they are not profitable then its all "oohhs and ahhhs and why did they close, what went wrong. 

businesses take profit to keep the doors open, that profit is built into the goods and services. You are feeling the pinch, and so are they.

I KNOW I sometimes pay a bit more for a part at Mark, compared to the best online price of the day.

BUT ... his labour costs are reasonable.  More importantly, fixed right the first time !

As this thread has turned into a CWC/CL bashing thread .... walked into CWC on Sunday with a damaged Garmin.  Lady gave it one look and started doing the paperwork.  @KB280DT and I did some window shopping, while she completed the book in.

In this instance the CWC staff was EXCELLENT 👍

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

Im lost, you had to show security your till slip as per most warehouse type stores in South Africa.

Your Google reviews must be scintillating

Never mind,  I'll take my money elsewhere.  Thats way better than a scintillating google review.  

As you were

1 hour ago, 117 said:

I needed a back brake re-bled and called CL in fourways to see if they could help (only reason is that i was 2km away from them and it suited my route for the day). I know a brake bleed is not the end of the world so i gave them the benefit of the doubt. 

On the call i asked if it could be a wait for it job and they advised that due to being a little busy it'll be about a 2 hour or so wait. Win so far, i didnt mind that as i had other errands in the area. 

I promtly relieved a call shortly afterwards informing me i need this done, that done, some other sh*t done etc, to which i promptly replied back that if they didnt understand my first instruction then its best i draw them a picture what i wanted done instead. Fine, we move on

Get there 2 hours later to collect the bike and its plastered with CL stickers in case some parts go missing.... now i must clean that crap off 

I head over to pay and all is good. Im one of two at the counter and proceed to hand over a few beer coupons (not a bad proce i thought)

I then get lynched by the security on my way out insisting he checks my till slip. I demanded thay he first remove the tag off my bike before we proceed. Once done,  he checks my slip as if i am the criminal stealing and not to be trusted... its actually his job to make sure the tellers do their job but he makes it out as if you, the customer, is the criminal. 

I will do my utmost to avoid them in future, much like the same treatment you get at builders warehouse on exit

I should have rather supported an LBS in the area, they don't give you the same **** treatment as CL does. 

Rant off, bye bye CL

Trying to understand your rant

1. Were the brakes bled properly ?

2. Till slip and security is a pain, but part of many shops.  

3. Bikeshops gets a bad wrap when they dont check a bike .... they get a bad wrap when pointing out items that needs attention .... a no win situation.   Personally, I like to know of stuff that are due.  Sure, I may not add it to that jobcard, but I appreciate attention to details.

Maybe you got better service than you realise ....

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Trying to understand your rant

1. Were the brakes bled properly ?

2. Till slip and security is a pain, but part of many shops.  

3. Bikeshops gets a bad wrap when they dont check a bike .... they get a bad wrap when pointing out items that needs attention .... a no win situation.   Personally, I like to know of stuff that are due.  Sure, I may not add it to that jobcard, but I appreciate attention to details.

Maybe you got better service than you realise ....

Hes got his protractor out trying to find this point

3 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I KNOW I sometimes pay a bit more for a part at Mark, compared to the best online price of the day.

BUT ... his labour costs are reasonable.  More importantly, fixed right the first time !

As this thread has turned into a CWC/CL bashing thread .... walked into CWC on Sunday with a damaged Garmin.  Lady gave it one look and started doing the paperwork.  @KB280DT and I did some window shopping, while she completed the book in.

In this instance the CWC staff was EXCELLENT 👍

I pay a little more just because the person greeting me has a more genuine smile or the whole vibe is just better..🤘🏻.. 

Except for two occasions where it would have been easier to remove all my tattoos, shave my beard, apply for a sales position, do all the interviews, training and showed up to work on my first day to help MYSELF find some **** than flag down anyone that actually worked there, cycle lab have been good to me for certain things..😳🤣.. otherwise I try to use other shops.. spread the love..🌸

7 minutes ago, Pandatron said:

Hes got his protractor out trying to find this point

You funny people you. 

Its the part being treated like a criminal when trying to exit a shop, because they dont trust their own staff. Note i did say i was even happy with the price and time frame of the brake bleed, is that not good enough for happy service or did you miss that part? Cynical much?

LBS's dont follow that same warehouse mentality you seem to promote

Ag you wont understand. Go live overseas for a bit and it'll change your perspective on how customers should be treated,  even at warehouse style stores

I’ve had good service from CL, when they’ve messed up, they’ve corrected the problem like recently when they sent me the wrong tyre, they sent a courier the next day to collect , then processed refund according to my preference ( offered cash but I chose a voucher to get other stuff), 

I wanted something else they did not have stock of, they ordered it in. 

All businesses mess up it’s how they resolve that’s important, 

I also have a LBS that I support as well and yes I also purchase online from abroad. 

17 minutes ago, 117 said:

You funny people you. 

Its the part being treated like a criminal when trying to exit a shop, because they dont trust their own staff. Note i did say i was even happy with the price and time frame of the brake bleed, is that not good enough for happy service or did you miss that part? Cynical much?

Ag you wont understand. Go live overseas for a bit and it'll change your perspective on how customers should be treated,  even at warehouse style stores

Point taken.

I do often drive past Builders and support the next hardware store for exactly that reason.

But this is part and parcel of the CWC/CL model .... on the odd occasion I there I KNOW what waits at the door ....

I recently collected a bike that was boxed and shipped through their service(reasonably priced and zero admin for buyer and seller). collected the bike and upon collecting the bike, it had stickers on both wheels, gear cables and handlebar. they supplied me with an invoice of a total Rnil and a 1pager with 30 or 40ish point check over for their 15min used to assemble and check the bike if everything is in order. 

I thought that was excellent service, clearly I got it wrong.

2 hours ago, 117 said:

You funny people you. 

Its not a mentality im promoting, im just truly perplexed at this rant. - its a simple here's the receipt and open the bag, quick check then gone out the sliding doors.

We're not overseas though, we're in africa.....

I had a brake bleed. What bag is there to check? 

And if i did have a bag, the staff member behind the counter packed it under the watchful eye of the security guard anyway, and i must be searched/checked because of their inefficiencies in not trusting the staff behind the counters anyway? 

You say africa is like it is, its because people accept it. 

You may, i dont, protracted and all

Shop with you feet..

CW /CL not the smee as it use to be under previous management. 

Don't complain.. move on. 

Try www.evobikes.co za 

Edited by Andro

6 hours ago, 117 said:

I needed a back brake re-bled and called CL in fourways to see if they could help (only reason is that i was 2km away from them and it suited my route for the day). I know a brake bleed is not the end of the world so i gave them the benefit of the doubt. 

On the call i asked if it could be a wait for it job and they advised that due to being a little busy it'll be about a 2 hour or so wait. Win so far, i didnt mind that as i had other errands in the area. 

I promtly relieved a call shortly afterwards informing me i need this done, that done, some other sh*t done etc, to which i promptly replied back that if they didnt understand my first instruction then its best i draw them a picture what i wanted done instead. Fine, we move on

Get there 2 hours later to collect the bike and its plastered with CL stickers in case some parts go missing.... now i must clean that crap off 

I head over to pay and all is good. Im one of two at the counter and proceed to hand over a few beer coupons (not a bad proce i thought)

I then get lynched by the security on my way out insisting he checks my till slip. I demanded thay he first remove the tag off my bike before we proceed. Once done,  he checks my slip as if i am the criminal stealing and not to be trusted... its actually his job to make sure the tellers do their job but he makes it out as if you, the customer, is the criminal. 

I will do my utmost to avoid them in future, much like the same treatment you get at builders warehouse on exit

I should have rather supported an LBS in the area, they don't give you the same **** treatment as CL does. 

Rant off, bye bye CL

"Once done,  he checks my slip as if i am the criminal stealing and not to be trusted... its actually his job to make sure the tellers do their job but he makes it out as if you, the customer, is the criminal. 

I will do my utmost to avoid them in future, much like the same treatment you get at builders warehouse on exit"

With you here and I take it you are a Red too...Makro, Builders and so on need to be respectful to us their clients...We adults and should be treated as such.

Bought some goods at Cape Town CWC past Saturday and they never did the whole Cavity search thing with me on exit...

11 hours ago, Jakkals. said:

I recently collected a bike that was boxed and shipped through their service(reasonably priced and zero admin for buyer and seller). collected the bike and upon collecting the bike, it had stickers on both wheels, gear cables and handlebar. they supplied me with an invoice of a total Rnil and a 1pager with 30 or 40ish point check over for their 15min used to assemble and check the bike if everything is in order. 

I thought that was excellent service, clearly I got it wrong.

After 40 odd years of bicycling, doing some repairs and services myself and visiting dozens of shops I should have a "what is it like on the day" attitude but haven't quite got there. I was long suspicious of Cyclelab, cliquey, over priced, arrogant sales people etc when my daughter after google search identified them to package and box her bike for overseas travel; R250. Went in fully excepted some runaround but no, small additional cost to clean the bike, boxed etc and called to confirm just later same day. I had also bought some Fox gloves which turned out a bit small. On bike collection (only gripe it was a box for an XL MTB so quite big for a road bike = plenty space for kit) the glove swap for a bigger size was easy.

Overall good service and reasonable, so left a bit dazed.

CL - Boksburg is basically my lbs.

I have done two massive price matches with them this year, saving me a good couple of 1000's. In both situations I had absolutely no issue. Over the last two years I have spent good money with them on a whole range of items, new bikes, services, upgrades, etc.

And not a single complaint thus far. I have only received friendly service from their whole team, even on some occasions advised not to buy certain items because I can use something else that will do the same job that is cheaper. 

I have dealt with Werner, Jolene and Mark, and a great thumbs-up from me.