the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

The sprint chain break was definitely Shimano. The Nino mafia must have swapped parts out over night. Funk didn’t know where the extra power came from Spain’s snapped another chain in shock

It was sram, that’s when I noticed the stealth brakes and after closer inspection, the axs. 

6 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The sprint chain break was definitely Shimano. The Nino mafia must have swapped parts out over night. Funk didn’t know where the extra power came from Spain’s snapped another chain in shock

Jiirrrrrr that would be headshot to shimano , and possibly Fini's team 

Wonder if there was agreements made to cover the expected fallout postrace 

13 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

prologue start

image.jpeg

Edited by Scott roy

1 hour ago, SwissVan said:

IMHO

If it aint broken don’t F*** with it. Replace it a week before CE and during the epic give it a clean and lube… without removing it. Bicycle chains don’t just break, and when they do it’s usually down to human behaviour, excessive cross chaining or chain removal.

Removing and installing a chain everyday is a recipe for failure, even when the work is performed by a professional mechanic.

Rant over 

Champion comment - have a mate that does a chain clean up and removal almost every 2nd week and the amount of drama he's picked up is astounding 🤯 - and he wonders why his chain isn't lekker on the trails 

37 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

lol just stop. 

Anyone noticed the Media Bulls E Bike is running a belt system with a gearbox/transmission? You can see a small shifter lever under the bar.

2 hours ago, SwissVan said:

IMHO

If it aint broken don’t F*** with it. Replace it a week before CE and during the epic give it a clean and lube… without removing it. Bicycle chains don’t just break, and when they do it’s usually down to human behaviour, excessive cross chaining or chain removal.

Removing and installing a chain everyday is a recipe for failure, even when the work is performed by a professional mechanic.

Rant over 

It takes one rock to bounce up from the bike in front of you and hit the chain + chainring in such a way to just just weaken the link enough that given the right amount of watts latter on the chain would break. I don't care what brand chain you have it is a very plausible (and very unlucky) scenario.

An no, removing a chain and putting it back does not weaken or mess with a chain if you use a quick link. It actually cleans easier taking it off. That is pretty basic bike maintenance.

I would hesitate putting a new chain on every day yes. I like testing a chain before going racing with it (sometimes you don't have a choice though) 

6 minutes ago, Ruben Hechter said:

Anyone noticed the Media Bulls E Bike is running a belt system with a gearbox/transmission? You can see a small shifter lever under the bar.

Running a Pinion system, pretty neat:

6 minutes ago, johnson said:

I Hope those pink crocks aren't your Boet's as well :ph34r: 

Loads of women folk there ... wife, 2 daughters and 3 granddaughters 

18 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

My boet in New Zealand just bought this!

IMG-20240319-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20240319-WA0003.jpg

Please keep us posted about the longevity of that belt.

BMW motorcycles have stayed away from chains as much as possible.  Drive shafts on the larger bikes, and belt drive when the 650GS was first launched.  The Dakar 650GS came out with a chain.  And when people started riding the normal 650GS off road BMW stopped using the belt drive, and switched to chain drive.

Their "promotional garble" was that the belt showed premature wear and tear off road, and that the chain drive was more reliable off road.

Some 25 years later and now MTB's go belt drive ....