the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

1 hour ago, Ant1234 said:

Wonder what the post-race temperament is like between Grotts and Beers 🤔

Grotts seems pretty humbled by the experience and being held in great company with Nino, Fini and Beers 

I'm not against morning beers, but maybe slow down

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, J Wakefield said:

Do you know who Howard Grotts is?

Seemingly not....

Shall we inform him that Grotts is a former Epic winner from 2018, when the real hard men and true legends raced? 

(not dissing the current crop of riders, they are obviously the cream of the current crop)

Edited by Wannabe
Added content

1 hour ago, jcza said:

Agree that race is not won, but surely you can’t expect more of them at this point in the race? 

That's what I read into what you wrote ...

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Saw that, not sure if it may be down to illness or not. Towards the end his partner Nortje wasn't too far off from the Specialized and Scott/Ridley breakaway, flying through the singletrack. 

Finishing 2 mins off stage winners!? Crazy solo ride from Tristan again. He did this on final stage a year or 2 ago after he sent his British partner packing for not being up to his level 😂🫢

2 hours ago, Ant1234 said:

That descent looks scary AF.....

IMG-20240321-WA0022.jpg

Spectacular.!! 🪂

Again, not sure why there’s this idea that Grotts isn’t up to the required level. He’s not holding Matt back…

Anyway, onto the stage analysis, what we saw of it anyway.

Buff lacked Puff today. Too much climbing for them? To hot, too many days at high intensity in the heat?

Speed Company definitely lacked the smack follow through today. They’re still within 10min of yellow but I reckon Johns going to get oaid in another ciovita yellow jersey.

the ladies race looks to be a Ghost affair. They’re riding a very smart race going just fast enough to discourage any attacks but with enough reserve to kick at the end. Can’t see them getting beat baring a major issue. The Toyota ladies have found their feet and got a mojo working so let’s hope for stage win for them at least. 4th place is nearly an hour behind!

as we head into the last three days , my mind wonders to where in the world is Amy Wakefield? After a barnstorming ride last year, she’s all but disappeared. She delivered one of the best legends of the entire cape epic history

43 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Anyway, onto the stage analysis, what we saw of it anyway.

Buff lacked Puff today. Too much climbing for them? To hot, too many days at high intensity in the heat?

Speed Company definitely lacked the smack follow through today. They’re still within 10min of yellow but I reckon Johns going to get oaid in another ciovita yellow jersey.

the ladies race looks to be a Ghost affair. They’re riding a very smart race going just fast enough to discourage any attacks but with enough reserve to kick at the end. Can’t see them getting beat baring a major issue. The Toyota ladies have found their feet and got a mojo working so let’s hope for stage win for them at least. 4th place is nearly an hour behind!

as we head into the last three days , my mind wonders to where in the world is Amy Wakefield? After a barnstorming ride last year, she’s all but disappeared. She delivered one of the best legends of the entire cape epic history

A rider disappearing from the scene after such a big breakthrough performance. Strange indeed 👀

Sorry am not live, am behind a little, so live in my world. 

This years race is FIRE and truly enjoying myself. Don't even care that the picture goes at times 

4 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

Do you know who Howard Grotts is?

Think not a lot looked him up. 

image.png.79a0a792417007ec58f1f195083c6cd3.png

2 hours ago, Wannabe said:

Seemingly not....

Shall we inform him that Grotts is a former Epic winner from 2018, when the real hard men and true legends raced? 

(not dissing the current crop of riders, they are obviously the cream of the current crop)

Tell em!

22 minutes ago, Rockid said:

A rider disappearing from the scene after such a big breakthrough performance. Strange indeed 👀

Nothing updated on her athlete facebook page/strava since last year august. 

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

... my mind wonders to where in the world is Amy Wakefield? After a barnstorming ride last year, she’s all but disappeared. She delivered one of the best legends of the entire cape epic history

From her facebook:

...taking some time off to look after my mind and heal my body after a taxing few months 🫶🏻
Sadly it meant scratching world champs off the calendar which has been very difficult but sometimes you need to be realistic and most importantly kind to yourself.
Thanks @symbtech_efort @freewheelcycology and coach @reecemcd1 for your support and understanding!
@freewheelcycology
@symbtech_efort
@perigonproperty
@rh77cycling
@specializedza
@vo2_sh
@uswesports
@capecyclesystems

She's basicall been off the scene since her brand new Specialized S-Works Epic (was not even a month old) got stolen in June last year on a Friday night in the quaint Belgium village of La Roche-en-Ardenne mid-race. It was one of 2 bikes that got stolen. Bloody thugs :cursing:  That could have been the tipping point.

Edited by nathrix