the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Emma Sadleir letters!!!!!

Those were the days

She gave a talk on social media law at my workplace not too long ago!

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think any business has a right to protect its brand, there’s a lot of risk attached. Naturally there should be common sense applied, the Epic bike shop incident comes to mind from years back. But Lance also does well with Cape Epic business, coaching etc … 

Cape Epic have their own internal media production, which has its own style and production guide. Nothing unusual and common among events the world over.

There’s also plenty independent/editorial media coverage of Cape Epic, in my experience never has anyone been told how to cover the event or participants. Nor do they get to ‘approve edits’ be it copy, images or photo. 

On 5/9/2024 at 6:15 PM, saturdayknight said:

totally - chatted with many spanish speaking riders during the race. Lots from S. America. They were saying why go to the USA or Europe for holiday - they realised its so much cheaper to come to Cape Town and get a brilliant experience. So much trail, great food and wine and lots of fun. And these guys spend. Epic should link to Tourism Cape Town and get the riders to spend some time here after or maybe put a booth up at the Epic so they can see whats on.

We chatted with a few from Colombia at our accommodation in Somerset West, great interaction. Also a regular number of Czech folk each year, surprisingly quite quick on our Saffa sense of humour. 

On 5/10/2024 at 6:22 PM, DieselnDust said:

I do t think so because he acknowledges the Cape Epic for giving him full access to the competitors and their staff. So I think it’s a case of they didn’t approve the final edit.

who remembers the days when a bike shop that carried the name Epic was sent a lawyers letter to rename their store as it infringed on the copyright of The event . There was a bit of egg on face there as the shop existed before the event. 

or people running training clinics were told they can’t use “Epic” in their product descriptions without written approval from the event owner. 

So none of this surprises me

Did they send letters to Specialized as well ?

Or, perhaps Specialized sent letter to the organisation telling them to rename their event!

Or did they meet at an unnamed wine farm and come to a friendly agreement over a few bottles of red ?

14 minutes ago, splat said:

Did they send letters to Specialized as well ?

Or, perhaps Specialized sent letter to the organisation telling them to rename their event!

Or did they meet at an unnamed wine farm and come to a friendly agreement over a few bottles of red ?

Let’s not mention the cafe roubaix caper