Should Bike Hubbers be banned?

betaboy

2 hours ago, Ruben Hechter said:

Anyone interested in a 8speed campagnolo road groupset? Wheels with cassette, f+r derailleur, shifters and bars. Clearing out the parts bin

Dibs 🙏🏼

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Right now, with all the frap going on in the world, taking the middle road of Campagnolo is what I desire for my bike. 
whincares if they’re not in the world tour? I don’t. They didn’t stop making good kit, it’s just not cheap because it’s not made in China. They still make and market rim brakes and mechanical groups and parts for owners of older bikes and they provide spares for parts they made 30years ago. They’re the company real cyclists should get behind and not cancel because they’re not woke or vying for world domination. 

#givemecampyorgivemeANC

I legit am not a fan of Campy but your # kills man!! Have to respect that🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Ruben Hechter said:

Hi JP.

I will take some pics for you tomorrow, if that is fine with you?

Yea sure 

8 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Thought it was pronounced: Campie

Or was that: Campy

? Campie was an American thing, they don’t like  equipment that sounds like a pasta dish…😂

Clinging to the past is why road bikes have hardly changed for 60 years.

The cycling industry, along with cyclists, is way too concerned with 'legacy' and fond memories of yesteryear.

Unfortunately a lot of the old 'classic' brands have become irrelevant in the current day marketplace. A lot of it has to do with the fact that they are often Italian or French owned and still run out of the same converted sheep barn because 'authentic', but the reality is that science now allows modern companies to make better bikes.

Many of them have failed to make the step from classic to modern, steel to multi layer carbon, and still control that space in the market. Interestingly it might be due to their own fans refusing to modernise.... 'This isn't a REAL Colnago/Basso/Cinelli/Merckx etc'

At a similar price point, Campy haven't really done anything 'better' for quite a while. Years and years.

They were late to the party with their disc brake stuff and that didn't work as well as their competitors, which is what has seen them get ditched by their last two WT teams, their Ekar was a fail and Now that most bike brands don't build many rim brake options, they are operating on past glories.

20 hours ago, DJR said:

Yup, I agrea, ban htem! Speling mitokes aer unaceptibel on HikeBub!

Absolutely ☝️

BIG muscles is important, but spelling is importanter ...................

On 2/10/2024 at 10:31 PM, betaboy said:

Question: Should Bike Hubbers that incorrectly spell Campagnolo be banned for a period of 31 days?

🤓🤭✍️….

The little fellows in the East have got along way to go, to develop quality and durability of the Campagnolo.

I think a 31 day ban for using the Campag.. name in the same discussion as the other 2 players.....

😁

53 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

The cycling industry, along with cyclists, is way too concerned with 'legacy' and fond memories of yesteryear.

Unfortunately a lot of the old 'classic' brands have become irrelevant in the current day marketplace. A lot of it has to do with the fact that they are often Italian or French owned and still run out of the same converted sheep barn because 'authentic', but the reality is that science now allows modern companies to make better bikes.

Many of them have failed to make the step from classic to modern, steel to multi layer carbon, and still control that space in the market. Interestingly it might be due to their own fans refusing to modernise.... 'This isn't a REAL Colnago/Basso/Cinelli/Merckx etc'

At a similar price point, Campy haven't really done anything 'better' for quite a while. Years and years.

They were late to the party with their disc brake stuff and that didn't work as well as their competitors, which is what has seen them get ditched by their last two WT teams, their Ekar was a fail and Now that most bike brands don't build many rim brake options, they are operating on past glories.

Wow, quite a rant! Opinions aside, a few issues:

- Campag disk brakes are widely regarded as at least as good as the best if not better, especially with regard to modulation. They're made in collaboration with Magura. 

- Ekar is a hit, it makes up more than half of Campag's turnover. The only 1x gravel groupset that makes sense. (mainly due to the 13s and the close ratios of the block). 

- Have you looked at their wheels lately? Cutting edge.

They are definitely not irrelevant. WT teams dropping them is a fiasco, but that's a marketing issue, not a product quality or relevance issue.  

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I think you definitely trolling for a 31week ban here Jewie….watch it …..bagels at dawn bru 

19 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Philistines…. the lot of you

Probably think they are fancy just because they own a ParkTool BO-1. Personally I won't let anything other than this beauty touch my Nebbiolo, neither should you.

“Clinging to the past”

that’ll be the UCI more than the bike brands. Bottechia, LOOK, TVT , colnago , Bianchi, Corima there were all the fore front of Carbon adoption. Remember those funky TT bikes ? Banned by the UCI.

the only reason Carbon bikes didn’t get banned was because Trek starting winnning with a cancer survivor. But because carbon bikes could break catastrophically the uci was deliberating in banning them. 

colnago made some of the first carbon fibre race frames in conjunction with Ferrari engineering. 
Campagnolo uses carbon fibre more extensively than any other component brand. 
every derailleur in the world uses Campagnolo patents under license. It’s their biggest source of revenue, IP.

quick release skewers are still used on a sorts of bikes. 
campagnolo Always leads the upping the number of sprockets game. They were first to 9, 10, 11 , trumped by SRAM to 12 but back infront with 13 (ekar).

Fully serviceable shifters, and rear derailleurs….

the crankset hirth coupling has better self aligning than other designs.

they’re actually more innovative than others and they were first to market a reliable electronic shifting groupset. Shimano was first but orginal di2 was a rush job and had many issues.

3 hours ago, openmind said:

Wow, quite a rant! Opinions aside, a few issues:

- Campag disk brakes are widely regarded as at least as good as the best if not better, especially with regard to modulation. They're made in collaboration with Magura. 

- Ekar is a hit, it makes up more than half of Campag's turnover. The only 1x gravel groupset that makes sense. (mainly due to the 13s and the close ratios of the block). 

- Have you looked at their wheels lately? Cutting edge.

They are definitely not irrelevant. WT teams dropping them is a fiasco, but that's a marketing issue, not a product quality or relevance issue.  

Just to answer one of these, they most certainly DO have a relevance issue. 

They have been left behind in terms of OEM offerings. Releasing a modern Centaur at the lower end of their range tried to counter this slightly, but by remaining in Italy/Romania, none of the bikes manufactured in the East (read MOST of them) can afford to use their groupsets.

As most car manufacturers will tell you, their supercars and top end sales are amazing, but their low end mass sold stuff is what keeps them in business.

I am trolling to a degree, but they most definitely do have a problem. Their own current marketing director has recently admitted that their current business model relies on bike snobs buying into the legacy, while they try to figure out how to get into the OEM market and become more 'accessible'

Edited by Jewbacca

10 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

“Clinging to the past”

that’ll be the UCI more than the bike brands. Bottechia, LOOK, TVT , colnago , Bianchi, Corima there were all the fore front of Carbon adoption. Remember those funky TT bikes ? Banned by the UCI.

the only reason Carbon bikes didn’t get banned was because Trek starting winnning with a cancer survivor. But because carbon bikes could break catastrophically the uci was deliberating in banning them. 

colnago made some of the first carbon fibre race frames in conjunction with Ferrari engineering. 
Campagnolo uses carbon fibre more extensively than any other component brand. 
every derailleur in the world uses Campagnolo patents under license. It’s their biggest source of revenue, IP.

quick release skewers are still used on a sorts of bikes. 
campagnolo Always leads the upping the number of sprockets game. They were first to 9, 10, 11 , trumped by SRAM to 12 but back infront with 13 (ekar).

Fully serviceable shifters, and rear derailleurs….

the crankset hirth coupling has better self aligning than other designs.

they’re actually more innovative than others and they were first to market a reliable electronic shifting groupset. Shimano was first but orginal di2 was a rush job and had many issues.

Yeah, the clinging to the past was aimed at cycling in general, not one brand. The cycling fraternity, collectors, governing body etc

29ers will never take

Disc Brakes will never be popular

Dropper posts weigh too much

Dual suss bikes are just too complicated

These are but a few of many examples I've seen bandied around on this very website. There are many innovations that we use currently that were shunned - people even openly shunned 1x on their MTB for years!