Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

11 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

Todays long term  forecast 

IMG_0969.png

This is nothing. That pretty much amounts to a windless day here in the Cape. Currently the wind is pretty much gale force. Be glad it isn't that strong, or at least pray it doesn't get stronger.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, matthew de haast said:

Headwind out always makes for bigger bunches and a more unsafe tour 😞 don’t feel like a repeat of last year

I just hope okes take stock and realise it’s not won in the first 20km. Its always the numb nuts racing from the back of the group to to the front that take people out. 
speak calmness over the group

Good morning all. I see Finish Time is recoding the race results. Does anyone know, do we have to have our own chip for this event. I have so many chips I get confused. If anyone can send a photo of what the chip looks like if needed, Kind  regards all. 

22 minutes ago, erikt123 said:

Good morning all. I see Finish Time is recoding the race results. Does anyone know, do we have to have our own chip for this event. I have so many chips I get confused. If anyone can send a photo of what the chip looks like if needed, Kind  regards all. 

Put all those Racetec timing chips in a coffee tin and bury them in your back yard. Finishtime will give you a new timing chip with your CTCT race pack This will the beginning of your new collection of timing chips

5 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I just hope okes take stock and realise it’s not won in the first 20km. Its always the numb nuts racing from the back of the group to to the front that take people out. 
speak calmness over the group

Yeah, I'm always sweating bullets till you crest the rise after Hospital bend, and only start relaxing a bit after turning off the Blue Route. Madness up to there, with the "Passing Right" guys barging their way to the front, putting everybody else at risk. 

Here’s my weather prediction. (Ill remind you again that ive gotten it right now for the past 3y😅, no garentees though, ill just come here on the 11th and be smug about it.

It will be windy, but a lot more for everyone starting around 9. You better be past Simonstown before then i guess🤷🏻‍♂️
Other than that, sunny and mild.

See you at the start - on this beast. (42/19)

🤘🤘🤘IMG_9829.jpeg.6d692213911267e5c0b0aa7a72e95084.jpeg

Is this list for seeding accurate and final?

https://results.finishtime.co.za/results.aspx?CId=35&RId=4464&EId=1&dt=0&PageNo=20&st=j6FSpg4SwzaoagiSR2pvtUitT37pHW9TiaDX5cCLIVU%3d

I count 332 in @ and 380 in &.
Compared to last year of 234 and 228.

I think 300+ for racing groups is too big. I also see a lot of names I believe should not be in these groups. 

The front of & will catch 60% of the @ group. It is always dangerous when groups start to catch each other.

1 hour ago, Mayo916 said:

https://results.finishtime.co.za/results.aspx?CId=35&RId=4464&EId=1&dt=0&PageNo=20&st=j6FSpg4SwzaoagiSR2pvtUitT37pHW9TiaDX5cCLIVU%3d

I think 300+ for racing groups is too big. I also see a lot of names I believe should not be in these groups. 

The front of & will catch 60% of the @ group. It is always dangerous when groups start to catch each other.

Agree that the larger groups will compromise safety, in the recent past @ and & were noticeably safer than the alphabet soup groups, likely not anymore.

Not sure about 60% but yes most likely @ will scatter on Edinburgh and then & will pick up a whole lot of stragglers and then climbs like Smits can get messy.

I am also fairly worried about Sunday, if you rate yourself one of the stronger riders in your group its important to get to the starting chute early and start fast, hanging in the middle to back can possibly leave you stranded behind dead wheels or crashes.

300 plus in any group is absolutely nuts!!! 

Checked out that @ and & list, there are some proper (2:40) and some sub3 hopefuls okes in there. Difference in index must be massive? Why the push to have everyone in 1 bunch? Given situation in past few races, has organisers lost their marbles?

All we need now is another elite 5km neutral zone at 24km/hr and a possible 900 strong group...

4 minutes ago, babse said:

300 plus in any group is absolutely nuts!!! 

Checked out that @ and & list, there are some proper (2:40) and some sub3 hopefuls okes in there. Difference in index must be massive? Why the push to have everyone in 1 bunch? Given situation in past few races, has organisers lost their marbles?

All we need now is another elite 5km neutral zone at 24km/hr and a possible 900 strong group...

is there a start list ? Looks like Cycle tour trust is taking PPA as advisers on how to run a disaster race.. 300 in one group down hospital bend, eish...

Pretty certain this is a direct result of the PPA race:

- crashes in A meant a slower finish time for A relative to B and C

- for some reason they only adjusted the finish time for seeding purposes by 2mins

This means a whole bunch of B & C (like a hundred from each) are now in $,@,& (myself included)

100% sure the groups will split early, though the wind forecast for the southern parts is looking quite grim if you get dropped off the back

11 hours ago, Mayo916 said:

Would be a really fun week if you dropped some of those names here then (Include strava profiles whilst you're at it). The frauds, fakes and posers will still need to make it up Endinburgh drive with the bunch if they want the wheelsucking free ride to simonstown.

In 2022, there were 207 finishers from @, so not exactly small then either. But well over 300 starting? Everything up to splitting on Edinburgh will be chaos if you aren't near the front.

I see a few names in there that I recognise that are definitely way faster than me, as in SA Champs podiums in my age category. I felt great at the Herald, but not THAT good... don't think I'll be able to get near the front if I tried.

My cold just got relegated in terms of things to stress over for the weekend.

11 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Would be a really fun week if you dropped some of those names here then (Include strava profiles whilst you're at it). The frauds, fakes and posers will still need to make it up Endinburgh drive with the bunch if they want the wheelsucking free ride to simonstown.

according to finishtime, I've got :

$ 118

@ 331

& 376

this is madness

Edited by Jbr

Here is the @ and & list.

Deleted

See Jbr's sheet above

Edited by Mayo916
Duplication