Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

2 hours ago, Vaultboy said:

😅 a bag of Fritos , a Bokomo protein bar, (both only expiring after May)  and a small pot of Arnica. All actually stuff I'll use. Goodie bag is meagre, but not bad,  compared to last year when I got an expired chocolate and a bag of simba chips that was open. 

I got niknaks in my bag.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

yep and the Smits descent is bumpy so at high speed those undulations can unseat you. Seen some bad crashes there.

Ride carefully

the entrance in to scarborough is also very fast so unless you are going for a time keep your head about you. Also bottom of Chappies is tight and fast just before Chapmans peak hotel. 

A mate came very short there a few years back. And he's one of the most experienced riders I know, in almost all disciplines.

sounds like they listening to our call for things that we could actually use or consume, not DC level goodie bags but its a positive :) 

Is it is really necessary to cable tie a horizontal number board to my handlebars? I've seen photos of  bikes without these from last year. Totally going to nullify the free watts from my aero skinsuit, bra and freshly shaved legs. 

10 minutes ago, bigringing said:

Is it is really necessary to cable tie a horizontal number board to my handlebars? I've seen photos of  bikes without these from last year. Totally going to nullify the free watts from my aero skinsuit, bra and freshly shaved legs. 

It looks like it’s part of the action photo stickers. So i assume only put it on if you want photos.

If you're riding in one of first few groups, ie &. How do you deal with warming up and getting in the chute early enough to be near the front? Anyone got some info and tips on how best to do this and how early to get in the chute.

9 minutes ago, matthew de haast said:

If you're riding in one of first few groups, ie &. How do you deal with warming up and getting in the chute early enough to be near the front? Anyone got some info and tips on how best to do this and how early to get in the chute.

Also in &. I plan on riding to the start, so that's my warmup (about 8km). Will probably arrive around 6am, so about 20mins in the pen, which should (hopefully) get me in the front half, if not front third.

I'm less fussed about being on the front row though.

6 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

yep and the Smits descent is bumpy so at high speed those undulations can unseat you. Seen some bad crashes there.

Last time out, I think it was 2020, I came upon a poor guy who had just passed away at the top of Smits. Heart attack if I recall correctly.

People must take it easy out there. Don't push so hard you blow a fuse.

3 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

It looks like it’s part of the action photo stickers. So i assume only put it on if you want photos.

Or if you want to leave your bike in the bike park 

1 hour ago, matthew de haast said:

I ride through from lakeside, about 16km warm up. I leave at 5am get to town about 5:50 and head to the chute 

As the day draws closer ....

BEST wishes to each and every Hubber that is riding on Sunday :thumbup:

If your efforts paid off and you are in the front groups, congratulations ! ... STAY SAFE, and may you have a good and a fast race.

If you are in it for a fun ride around the peninsula .... HAVE FUN !!

For the first timers .... keep a safe distance from the bunches ..... pass way clear of riders, even more so after Smitswinkel .... you are about to see swervers like never before ....  As you get closer to water points, be extra careful of people doing a 90 degree turn at the last second to stop, and dont underestimate those wanting to get back into the road.  (I go far right when I get anywhere close to watering points).    ENJOY every moment of the ride !

To each and every charity rider ... YOU ROCK !!!!  Have a GOOD ONE, and enjoy your day

13 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I ride through from lakeside, about 16km warm up. I leave at 5am get to town about 5:50 and head to the chute 

Lakeside must be 20-plus kays. A great warm-up though. 

I need to update some kit that is starting to look tatty. Is the expo worth a shot or do I just follow my instinct and order online? Has anyone ventured through the expo, and was it worth it?