Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

I guess it also comes back to the conduct of the cyclists. 

It's 5km in, if everybody knows it's a dodgy section and realistically the race can't be won there, why not just ride together at a mild panic instead of absolute do or die sillyness?

We all control how we conduct ourselves, so if people are playing argy bargy on hospital bend while sitting in the group, then the issue is with them. 

Block them out or give them a mouthful.

Talk about it together in the start chute. 

It's always been a dangerous part of the race, but also a place of almost no consequence, so I don't understand why people in the racing group need to ride aggressively there.

You have a better chance of a sub3 if more of you stay upright and together

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

It's 5km in, if everybody knows it's a dodgy section and realistically the race can't be won there, why not just ride together at a mild panic instead of absolute do or die sillyness?

We all control how we conduct ourselves, so if people are playing argy bargy on hospital bend while sitting in the group, then the issue is with them. 

It's always been a dangerous part of the race, but also a place of almost no consequence, so I don't understand why people in the racing group need to ride aggressively there.

I agree with this.

Also, they have emailed every rider in those first groups warning them about the dangers and they have also warned everyone about the cones, about the cateyes etc. If you still ride like a knob and cause an accident then you are just a knob end of story.

48 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I agree with this.

Also, they have emailed every rider in those first groups warning them about the dangers and they have also warned everyone about the cones, about the cateyes etc. If you still ride like a knob and cause an accident then you are just a knob end of story.

I hereby appoint @Bub Marley as chief anti-knob police for & group :)

Please collect your badge as you enter the pen. I thank you for your service.

Does anyone perhaps know if the Garmin stand at the expo will be able to assist with watch repairs?

I remember Polar used to offer repair services a while back at the expo.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I agree in principle and it might work in elite bunch but in 1A there are 400 mamils all gassed from trying to hold on up the off-ramp and the freeway, anoxic, frontal lobes shut down by adrenalin .... 

Cones are are really stupid idea. You can't see them from in the bunch, they can be easily moved or knocked ... Narrowing the road early is a fabulous idea but it needs a long line of those plastic bulwark things that the road works guys use. Big. Immovable, bright yellow chest high jobbies.

I don't think I'm up for the melee ... Think I'll ride at the back of 1A and try tag onto B somewhere just before Edinburgh. 

Edited by Mamil

1 minute ago, Mamil said:

I agree in principle and it might work in elite bunch but in 1A there are 400 mamils all gassed from trying to hold on up the off-ramp and the freeway, anoxic, frontal lobes shut down by adrenalin .... 

Cones are are really stupid idea. You can't see them from in the bunch, they can be easily moved or knocked ... Narrowing the road early is a fabulous idea but it needs a long line of those plastic bulwark things that the road works guys use. Big. Immovable, bright yellow chest high jobbies.

I don't think I'm up for the melee ... Think I'll ride at the back of 1A and try tag onto somewhere just before Edinburgh. 

Arent they splitting the lane at the top with a divider and the cones to stop people using the far lane?

That's how I read it 

Either way, I'm glad I care not for a sub3 anymore. I'm way more comfortable yabbering with my mates and stopping for coffee and cake

7 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I need to update some kit that is starting to look tatty. Is the expo worth a shot or do I just follow my instinct and order online? Has anyone ventured through the expo, and was it worth it?

I was hoping for some good discounts on bibs from my 2 favorites , Vye or Ciovita. Vye has discontinued the mirage bib (new one coming out) so no stock, Ciovita looked like inflated pricing to me so gave them a skip too. 

did pick up some fresh Versus socks for myself and the wife, and some CTCT souvenirs for the family. 

oh and a Squirt refill. 

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

I don't think I'm up for the melee ... Think I'll ride at the back of 1A and try tag onto B somewhere just before Edinburgh. 

As D&D said a while back, the race isn't won or lost in the first 10km. But never underestimate the stupidity of people in large groups, especially those that only "race" once a year.

Make your way safely to the UCT climb and enjoy catching all those overenthusiastic okes who are sad they didn't make it into the scratch groups when they blow up on Smits.

Two good things I saw at the expo this year:

1. Enduroseal is now making a road sealant.

2. The sunlight at the exit

Wishing everyone a safe, dry, fun, and temperate CTCT. I'm stuffing my bar bag with sterie stumpies, sweet treats and spf50

Look out for the Warriors on Wheels! We're starting at 7:51 and expect a long but fun day in the saddle! Give us a push (especially the e-bikers) or a song as you go by. Our Warrior, Cassidy, is a Wheelchair Dancer with heart for winning! She will be pulled by the legendary Wimpie van der Merwe, and pushed by hubby and I (I may have got him drunk and signed him up before he knew what we were doing).

Excited to experience the CTCT in a very different way this year :)

Thanks to ASLA Foundation for sponsoring our team 💛

20240225_163140.jpg

IMG-20240228-WA0006.jpg

Honestly, they should neutralise the race for the first 10 groups all the way to UCT. Drive with a car in front till there at 30km/h. It really seems like the best way to mitigate all these issues. Doesn’t seem like it would be that difficult

Edited by matthew de haast

6 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I agree wholeheartedly but Argust fever is real. The zombieism starts at the expo already. Okes racing up the number collection station shouldering each other out of the way while wearing baggy gardening shorts, a cycling top and crocs. The criminals!!

The it’s the rush to find nutrition you’ve never used before, then maybe buying  new tyres that will have to be fitted the night before the Argust.

Then everyone leaves and goes for a Saturday morning leg loosening ride, this usually ends with Simon’s town being flooded with coffee deprived MAMILS all looking for arnica gel for Sunday morning. 

come race day the chute is awash with calm till that infernal italian music starts and once calm mamils start transitioning into Pagacar wannabees except more ambitious, because they can win it from 109km out. If he can do it on a colnago, I can smash it on my Cabal!!

and thats how the ride report started

41 minutes ago, matthew de haast said:

Honestly, they should neutralise the race for the first 10 groups all the way to UCT. Drive with a car in front till there at 30km/h. It really seems like the best way to mitigate all these issues. Doesn’t seem like it would be that difficult

But then the 1A to -1E groups would come charging up the backside. The 3min gap is too small to allow that to work. The racing groups would need about 10min gap before the seeded groups take off

I collects my number this evening. 

expo was quite nice with some real bargains on hand. Omnico had a huge stall and offering some helmet models on close out deals below cost. 

the cabal stand has some proper beauties as does the stall with the welded steel hippie bikes. Some beauts. 

it feels like it’s getting smaller and smaller year on year, possibly a sign of the economic times.

i picked up some new numbers holders for the back of my race jersey. Really cool and functional. Will report back on it tomorrow after I fit and fiddle.