Cape Town Cycle Tour 2024

pdasilva

1 minute ago, Mamil said:

Here's that point where I rescind my annual decision that the risks are not worth it and I compulsively enter again.

the same for many of us - i get to question my life decisions when im back in 1A next year lecturing youngsters about half wheeling ....

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, mikkelz said:

The fact that it takes months or even years to do these things in (South) Africa is the real problem – it shouldn't take so long.

September 25th 2023

n2 bridge botrivier washed away western cape

four weeks later

https://www.constructionsafety.co.za/2023/10/31/the-n2-section-at-botrivier-has-officially-been-re-opened/

The N2 is not a small road, they made it work chop chop.

17 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Here's that point where I rescind my annual decision that the risks are not worth it and I compulsively enter again.

You will have a proper base to work towards your sub 3 next year after a decent training block at the end of November........

41 minutes ago, Tim Brink said:

The caveat in wanting the stretch of road after Smits fixed, is it is not going to be a couple of weeks or months to sort out. It is a very long piece of road that needs proper rehabilitation, not just a new layer of tar, and having it closed for a year or two or three could be disastrous to the CTCT. Main road was doable, with Boyes Drive as an alternative and a small amount of low-speed roadworks deviations. This would be a different story - you can't make safe temporary solutions for big groups of  bicycles doing 50/60/70km/h.

Don't forget there is a long planned option to give Masiphumele (30 000 people) a second access road.

This would releave huge pressure from kommetjie road, but the NIMBYs from Noordhoek in their ivory towers have a toad (that is getting amazing airtime and protection) and are happy to pay lawyers.

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2023-11-15-is-an-access-road-through-a-township-more-important-than-the-western-leopard-toad/

49 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

September 25th 2023

n2 bridge botrivier washed away western cape

four weeks later

https://www.constructionsafety.co.za/2023/10/31/the-n2-section-at-botrivier-has-officially-been-re-opened/

The N2 is not a small road, they made it work chop chop.

N1 near pretoria had to get an additional bridge + a sinkhole that developed shortly before where the bridge addition had to happen 

The solution was t just driver the lanes so long that new lines were painted instead of fixing the issue. 

Bridge was finished q3 last year i think , maybe q4 but it took more than a year 

Sinkhole is still there and lanes ****** all over causing massive congestion ......since the first weeks of 2022 ( atleast thats what i remember , might be longer ) 

Very discouraging to see videos of competent people using tax money to solve problems and not just stuff their fat faces and pockets.

WHoooooooooooosaaaaaaa , done for today 

1 hour ago, Tim Brink said:

The caveat in wanting the stretch of road after Smits fixed, is it is not going to be a couple of weeks or months to sort out. It is a very long piece of road that needs proper rehabilitation, not just a new layer of tar, and having it closed for a year or two or three could be disastrous to the CTCT. Main road was doable, with Boyes Drive as an alternative and a small amount of low-speed roadworks deviations. This would be a different story - you can't make safe temporary solutions for big groups of  bicycles doing 50/60/70km/h.

It’s a bit of a catch 22 because at some point this stretch of road has to be rebuilt to improve access and ease maintenance. There have been informal vendors outside the park entrance for almost 20years and the space they operate in has not been improved. Funbos is growing into the road , narrowing the effective width creating a safety risk to all road users. There’s farms and vineyards along that stretch that could use improved access. The longer the city delays the improvement the bigger and longer the job will take. The job can be completed within a year even if it means just a 5km stretch. We dealt with worse in the detour years of 2011 through to 2016. The alternative is go over Red Hill but there is also the impact of Cape Point nature reserve access.

for cyclists in the ctct that stretch from the reserve entrance to perdekraal has longitudinal cracks opening up which is going to be a safety risk if we have another very wet winter. These are being opened by the blue gums lining the road. The verge is breaking up making the road effectively narrower. The time is nigh

On 3/11/2024 at 8:34 AM, Frosty said:

I see it’s disappeared from previous events too. It was there yesterday as I checked a few batches.

The other option is to sort by wave, in the all results view. But that also requires knowing on which page the group 

The "Finish Time" position data (Pos, Cat, Gen) data for myself differ significantly with the "Sport Splitz" data.

The times are spot on the same though.  Wonder what the ... is up with that?  🤷‍♂️

Edited by TheoG

On 3/9/2024 at 9:49 AM, DieselnDust said:

seems to work well. Will add some safety  pins for security. The acid test is when the jersey is loaded with stuff

with my shirt it was a bit tricky to get everything lined up the way I wanted, but that is a function of the shirt not the pins.

they seemed to work well, held the number in place and has not left any permanent marks on the shirt.

On 2/5/2024 at 9:30 AM, The Ouzo said:

Right, so my mate is doing his 21st CTCT in March. We started riding together many years back, somehwere along the line I skipped one that he did, so my 21st is next year.

Anyway, he is very unfit and refuses to have me ride slowly with him, but I think it would be awesome if we cross the line together.

So what I'm thinking of doing is riding my race, then cycle back to somewhere along the route, for instance Camps Bay or somewhere else easily accessible, and then ride with him to the end.

My question is 2 fold

a) other than doing the entire route a second time, where would be the easiest place to cycle back to ? I dont really want to be that guy cycling in the opposite direction to everyone else, so somewhere with an alternative route to get to.

b) what will happen with my timing when I cross the finish line a second time an hour or 2 after I crossed it the first time ?

So what I landed up doing.

Headed back to V&A where we parked, removed timing board and front facing number, than headed up and took main road through to Camps Bay.

Sat under a tree there and waited for him. From there we rode back together.

He was unfit and sick leading up to the race, I think the moral support of me riding with him the last little bit really helped.

Waiting for more pics to come through on action photo, but I think we got some great ones crossing the line together.

oh, I skipped the second coke and got a funny look from the medal lady when I declined a second medal.

5 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Most modern road bikes these days take 28mm minimum

The Audax road bikes up to 35mm at least. 

The pure bred aero bikes up to 30c. I really don't think one needs to buy a gravel bike to accommodate wide tires anymore.

It is a 2 birds with one stone thing. I am thinking very hard about doing some proper gravel races.

6 hours ago, Denis Dell said:

Okay, so looks like my question escalated very quickly.... 😉

Also, to be clear, I was not referring to the section slipping off the mountain due to the fire and the rains.  I think the organisers did a great job ensuring rider safety at that point (and at most other traffic furniture).  I was referring to the section going past Capri, which resulted in many a puncture.

Either way still remains a great event and would definitely ride it again (even if that means I need to mount a cooler box onto my bike next year to keep my drinks cool)

Certainly two sides to this.

We drove the route a few weeks back.  I was shocked at the number of potholes after the heavy rains.  THESE were repaired.

Also, a LOT of the mountain slides have been addressed before the race.

BUT ..... after Dixies there was a marchel at a cones and danger tape routing bikes around a section of road that is in dire need of fixing.  Could not help but wonder if it would not have been less effort to fix it than wave people past it ....

In Houtbay, shortly before the water point I hit a hole in the middle of the road.  The sound was so loud that the riders on either side looked over at me.  I commented that I am glad I have large volume gravel tyres, as that knock could have damaged road tyres.  Just past the circle a rider was working on his front tyre ....

All things considered, the CoCT did a fine job.  BUT, there is certainly more work to be done ....

I did have a smile at the threads on FB where the Mayor and the Premier have their moment in the CTCT sunlight .... they DO react to compliments ..... but some very valid feedback is just ignored .....

As for the drinks at the end .... I was pushing so hard from Houtbay that I just stood under a tree for a few minutes before I could even open my Coke.  

Just now, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Kudus to Linus van Onselen 71 years old doing 2 hrs 57 and so doing completing 35 tours with 30 sub 3’s .

WOW !!!!!

Respect !