First Look: Specialized Epic 8

News bot

13 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

@Nick just for reference sake, found this on the topic tag - your review on the 2017 S-Works epic, (guessing that would be about V5 in the range if this is V8?)

Was R140k, and the comments are indeed similar on pricing at the extremes of the range!

https://bikehub.co.za/news/first-ride-2017-specialized-s-works-epic-29-world-cup-r6033/

I've ridden a few of them 😆

2019 Epic Evo: https://bikehub.co.za/news/review-specialized-epic-expert-evo-r7530/

2021 Sworks Epic Evo: https://bikehub.co.za/news/review-2021-specialized-s-works-epic-evo-r8142/

2021 Sworks Epic: https://bikehub.co.za/news/review-2021-specialized-s-works-epic-r8141/

I'm sure history repeats itself in all the comments.

Even though I've dabbled in the SWorks good life, I'm exceedingly happy with my own Comp level Epic EVO. Somehow I manage to pass a lot of SWorks riders on it 🤔

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

have a look at some road bikes.... ('no' electronics)

yes limited edition - but second hand components @ R330K

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/706935/colnago-c68-limited-edition  

has AXS... @ R260K

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/642688/new-cervelo-s5-custom-medium-54cm

we are humans - we will pay for what we think is valuable and those in marketing/sales will ask for what they think we can pay.  We just need to decide where we want to spend our rands, and hope that the rock/tarmac  recognises what I have spent and does not jump out and smash my very expensive piece of carbon  

2 hours ago, Aurora said:

Did I miss something? R295k...

How is that bicycle worth more than this motorcycle? 

Screenshot 2024-03-15 at 12.58.17.png

Exactly, the technology in that KTM is nuts, they sell fewer of them, etc etc.

3 hours ago, Aurora said:

Hahaha do not ask these questions in this thread. You (and many other incl me) are not the target market of a R295k mtb. We should stand in awe of the tech on the mtb and see it as the super superbike of the bicycle world, It is still cheaper than a Ferrari, so we should be thankfull. 🤩

4 hours ago, Aurora said:

To answer your first question, yes. You missed about 10 different people predicting this very post. I'm not saying anything you've said is wrong, in fact I completely agree with you and would like someone to explain it in a way that isn't "It costs that much because people are buying them at that price".

But I still spat my tea out when I saw your post.

Man this thread has doubled back on itself so many times it is beginning to bend space and time. 

Interesting that the circle of complaints about the high prices continues as predicted. Yet more companies in the bicycle industry are downscaling and restructuring. Is there not a correlation between the circle of complaints from consumers and the current stance of the bicycle industry? 

35 minutes ago, W@nted said:

Interesting that the circle of complaints about the high prices continues as predicted. Yet more companies in the bicycle industry are downscaling and restructuring. Is there not a correlation between the circle of complaints from consumers and the current stance of the bicycle industry? 

No because there are enough people willing to buy those products from a waiting list months long. The bicycle company will still make enough money to pay shareholders and staff bonuses. This is not middle class product man. 

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

No because there are enough people willing to buy those products from a waiting list months long. The bicycle company will still make enough money to pay shareholders and staff bonuses. This is not middle class product man. 

Not likely

This will really go on forver, lol. If you have the money and you're into it, go for it. 

8 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Indeed, that’s why there’s the “vote with your wallet “

all the electronics has actually made bikes heavier. 
so if a R100k mechanical bike still weighs the same as R100k bike from 2018 and the shifting and braking is similar in performance than that’s a win, but it’s not. 
todays R100k bike is over a kilo heavier.

and this is not just a SA inflation thing, it’s a global discontent that is playing out in declining sales 

According to that podcast that was shared last week (escape collective), Spez is seeing consistent 50%+ YOY growth in China, so I suspect that they are protected overall from a restriction in sales. 

7 minutes ago, BigDL said:

According to that podcast that was shared last week (escape collective), Spez is seeing consistent 50%+ YOY growth in China, so I suspect that they are protected overall from a restriction in sales. 

HIGHLY doubt that 

Of the 5 main S brands I can't imagine the others consolidating and Spex having 50% yoy especially with bikes like the epic 

9 hours ago, BaGearA said:

HIGHLY doubt that 

Of the 5 main S brands I can't imagine the others consolidating and Spex having 50% yoy especially with bikes like the epic 

China is a huge market and growing rapidly. If a cycling brand has distribution rights in China itself it is well protected from the recession in western economies.

Specialized has a subsidiary registered in Shanghai so I reckon the podcast has good information 

Edited by DieselnDust

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

China is a huge market and growing rapidly. If a cycling brand has distribution rights in China itself it is well protected from the recession in western economies.

Specialized has a subsidiary registered in Shanghai so I reckon the podcast has good information 

Okay but it's not like the average Chinese can afford a 17 000$ dollar bike , also we know the real money is in quantity ( Cajees) so neither can they afford rockhoppers at 600$ ? 

Like China's average person seems to be much worse off than our average, and the average south African isnt even thinking about expensive mtb's 

That's why social media does well there , any cheap 5$ dollar phone can have facebook or tiktok and with an overabundance of free wifi everyone can sit on phones and melt brains away on ads.

And again when millions of people are doing the above tech companies bank. , which is every clearly shown in the tech markets now