First Look: Specialized Epic 8

News bot

That is crazy, for the guys in the industry, what does it cost to run a MTB team in SA, lets say you have 4 riders? 

Just the bikes alone will cost you a fortune, Cycling is killing professional cycling. these outrageous costs for a top end bike make it harder and harder to fund a team.  

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Irvin85 said:

That is crazy, for the guys in the industry, what does it cost to run a MTB team in SA, lets say you have 4 riders? 

Just the bikes alone will cost you a fortune, Cycling is killing professional cycling. these outrageous costs for a top end bike make it harder and harder to fund a team.  

Even as hot takes go, that's pretty wild.

23 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Thank heavens I'm just a hacker cyclist .... when people ask I say I own an Sworks Epic, don't have to mention which one do I?

When people say the own a Sworks... is that the same as people telling you they went to "Affies" or have a MBA or was part of the "rekkies"?

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

The price of top of the range bikes has become insane, just like you can buy a polo for R250k, or a porcshe for R5m. It wasn't like this that long ago.

Every year, this gets rehashed. Every single year.

A top-of-the-range bike has always (even when I started checking when I was in varsity in 1998) cost roughly the same as an entry-level Polo. Now it's slightly more than an entry-level Polo, but only because of the very expensive electronic tech which has been tacked on.

I honestly don't think this is excessive. The reality is simply that the South African economy has regressed in buying power against large parts of the "first world", so it seems crazy to us.

In my industry (software dev and SaaS) the gap in cost between local skills and US skills as an example, has grown significantly the last 15 years. For those who haven't realised it yet (I don't know how this is possible) the average South African is getting poorer in real terms. This is structurally expected unfortunately, but it still makes people go WTF. Sorry folks, things are expensive because we're povvos, not because they're overpriced 🤷‍♂️

Edited by LazyTrailRider
Typo and grammar fix

9 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

A top-of-the-range bike has always (even when I started checking when I was in varsity in 1998) cost roughly the same as an entry-level Polo. Now it's slightly more than an entry-level Polo, but only because of the very expensive electronic tech which has been tacked on.

I honestly don't think this is excessive. The reality is simply that the South African economy has regressed in buying power against large parts of the "first world", so it seems crazy to us.

In my industry (software dev and SaaS) the gap in cost between local skills and US skills as an example, has grown significantly the last 15 years. If everyone has yet realised it yet, and I don't know how this is possible, the average South African is getting poorer in real terms. This is structurally expected unfortunately, but it still makes people go WTF. Sorry folks, things are expensive because we're povvos, not because they're overpriced 🤷‍♂️

i REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN 

18 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

One of the biggest and most successful bike companies releases new bike...... everyone knows better......

A tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme... 

I love the internet.

I couldn't care for the expensive bike banter but as you know, I love a good 90s movie or music reference. Double points on this one, a ripper. Celine and Peabo at their best. 

10 minutes ago, NickGM said:

I couldn't care for the expensive bike banter but as you know, I love a good 90s movie or music reference. Double points on this one, a ripper. Celine and Peabo at their best. 

I knew you would appreciate it!

37 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

In my industry (software dev and SaaS) the gap in cost between local skills and US skills as an example, has grown significantly the last 15 years. If everyone has yet realised it yet, and I don't know how this is possible, the average South African is getting poorer in real terms. This is structurally expected unfortunately, but it still makes people go WTF. Sorry folks, things are expensive because we're povvos, not because they're overpriced 🤷‍♂️

I think you're talking crap, BUT only because I'm going on gut feel. If you really have been following then you'd have the data. Also we're talking outliers, the XT level price would probably be a better "burger index" but it's the marquee that gets the headlines.

let's fact check that one:

1.4 polo vivo trendline = R262k here

spez epic 8 = R295k

polo entry level R101500 here

Sworks epic world cup R65 000 ($8800 @ R7.4/$)  here

I stand by my statement that you are talking crap, but I do get your point that while there is more tech in both the polo and mtb these days, the mtb has progressed much more.

if you can find the new price of a polo in 1999 then here's what this ballpark cost was!

image.png.3a8d70453189357336880ff487aafc52.png

there's a few 2023 sworks epics in the classifieds for sale #justsaying

Expensive bikes (top end bikes for athletes) has been a thing for a long time.

If these bikes are targeted at pro cycling teams, why are they advertised to the general consumers. Seems like if they mention the prices of these bikes, lots of comments gets made. Why not just exclude some of the details. 

That's just my opinion 

22 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Sworks epic world cup R65 000 ($8800 @ R7.4/$here

There's the (albeit extremely simplified) crux. Granted, the exchange rate has fluctuated wildly and has actually been better in some years than would expect given the long-term trajectory, but the bottom line is that at the current exchange rate (meaning, if we were as proportionately poor back then as we are now) an SW Epic would have cost R167k in 2010.

From that to R295k in 14 years is really not the "OMG, inflation multiplied by gazillion eleventy, this is getting insane!" thing people like to throw around. In fact, R167k in 2010 is R332k inflation-adjusted.

Yes, I know this is an oversimplification, but I wouldn't be surprised if the data roughly aligns.

3 hours ago, splat said:

I know that I am not the target market, but I look at these bikes the same way I look at a Super Car. Its just a thing of unattainable beauty and frightening cost. I would like to touch it, but don't think I would want to own it (unless I won several Lotto's).

I feel a bit sad knowing that each year and each new model (of any brand) puts me further and further away from owning a new bike. But I do think about the trickle-down tech in future years.

I also wonder what it does to the 2nd hand market.

I still look at my 2014 Anthem with love, even after looking at these bikes 😂