Flying with bike versus bike rental

bigringing

Hi everyone, 

Going to be flying into Milan, Italy and, for obvious reasons, am looking to do some road cycling in that region. Currently trying to figure out whether it makes more sense to rent a bike box and take my own bike, or look to rent a bike locally. I have never flown with a bike before and do not own a bike box. I know there are some Scicon Aerocomfort bike bags available for rent in Cape Town. Appealing given the minimal disassembly required, but am wondering if the lack of a hard shell would place my bike at risk.

Any suggestions and/or views regarding travelling abroad with a bike bag/box? Alternatively, anyone perhaps have any leads on decent bike rentals in or around Milan? I've had a Google, but a suggestion based on a good experience would be preferable. 

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance. 

Edited by bigringing

5 minutes ago, bigringing said:

Hi everyone, 

Going to be flying into Milan and, for obvious reasons, am looking to do some road cycling in that region. Currently trying to figure out whether it makes more sense to rent a bike box and take my own bike, or look to rent a bike locally. I have never flown with a bike before and do not own a bike box. I know there are some Scicon Aerocomfort bike bags available for rent in Cape Town. Appealing given the minimal disassembly required, but am wondering if the lack of a hard shell would place my bike at risk.

Any suggestions and/or views regarding travelling abroad with a bike bag/box? Alternatively, anyone perhaps have any leads on decent bike rentals in or around Milan? I've had a Google, but a suggestion based on a good experience would be preferable. 

I’ve travelled to and around the states with golf clubs and even returned with two sets of irons in that bag instead for the one set I left with..🤣🤣

it really wasn’t a big deal once you drop it off until you pick it up on the other side..🤷🏼‍♂️ I was super stressed about traveling with something that big but it was actually really easy..

Renting in europe is so expensive, and sometimes tricky. It depends where you're going and how many days you're planning to ride, if you just want to ride for a couple of days at Alpe d'Huez, rent, if you want to be riding for two weeks in various places, byob

I travel with my bike all the time. Maybe 3-4 times a year. But it’s for long term - more than a month at a time. It’s a faff for just a week or two since you need to be able to travel with a giant bike bag - rental cars need to be bigger, airport transfers need to be bigger etc. Packing is a pain in the ass too and there is always the chance your bike gets lost or crushed. I have insurance for that but it’s another thing to worry about. 

Edited by michaelbiker

Renting at > EUR30 per day vs EUR75 for taking your own bike is  a no-brainer IMO

You get your own equipment, no surprises, and you can use the bag as extra packing space when you return.

It was way sweater to fly with sports equipment before airlines started charging, but is still a way better option than renting.

16 hours ago, bigringing said:

Hi everyone, 

Going to be flying into Milan, Italy and, for obvious reasons, am looking to do some road cycling in that region. Currently trying to figure out whether it makes more sense to rent a bike box and take my own bike, or look to rent a bike locally. I have never flown with a bike before and do not own a bike box. I know there are some Scicon Aerocomfort bike bags available for rent in Cape Town. Appealing given the minimal disassembly required, but am wondering if the lack of a hard shell would place my bike at risk.

I have travelled with my bike quite a lot and have always used a soft bag (mtb) mainly because of the weight. I check it in as an extra bag so try and keep total weight below the max allowed. 

I rented a road bike for Milan in 2019. I’ll try and dig out the details of the rental guys. They were very thorough. The bike was a Wilier. I didn’t end up riding it because of an issue with our meetings, but it was a lovely bike. 

The choice between renting or own bike is highly personal and very dependent on riding time, convenience and of course budget. My wife and I have done 3 roadie trips to Europe.
Morzine France - Own bikes

Monte Grappa Italy - Own bikes

Mallorca Spain - Rentals

Mallorca was a revelation. We'll never take our own road bikes again. The convenience of not having to lug massive bike boxes around and just showing up at the shop with pedals and a saddle made is so worthwhile for us. We took our measurements along and the shop was happy to set the bikes up to our requirements. Also no stressing whether your bike will actually show up and the condition it will be in when you get there.

Not taking our own bikes also allowed us to spend 2 days in Paris on the way back. I can't imagine lugging 2 bike boxes from Orly airport through the Paris metro to get to our accommodation and then from there to CDG on the way out. Nightmare!

Not taking your own bike also allows you to make use of more direct routings on airlines that would normally charge you a kings ransom to fly your bike rather than routing via Dubai, Qatar, Abu Dhabi.

My thoughts. Rent.

Mountain bike trip to the Alps you take your own bike coz there you have personal setups around suspension.

** Just some advice on the riding itself. If you're planning to ride for say 5 days. PROPERLY plan 7-9 routes that you want to ride and get them onto your gps. Plan to do your hard or highlight ride early before you are worn out and tired. Also if weather is a factor you can then plan around that too.

If you're going with wifey and you're hitting a hard day make sure she understands EXACTLY how much vert and km's she is going to be doing. You don't want to be 3/4 of the way up Monte Grappa when she decides it's time to go home. Been there!

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I have flown my MTB - internationally and locally - with cardboard boxes, kindly donated by my LBS (the spez s-works MTB boxes are the best, if you can get one).

With careful packing, nothing got damaged and the boxes can be used again or recycled.

Thanks, everyone. Very helpful.

Having done some more digging and calculations, given the amount of time I'll actually be able to ride, I think it may be more economical and convenient to rent a bike. I've found a few good looking rental spots. Lugging a bike box around for a maximum of 3 days of riding is probably pretty daft. 

Edited by bigringing

15 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Roadie routes in Milan

Ah gahdammit now you've got me looking at riding routes in Italy again!

Great link, thanks! I'm actually looking at some routes in and around Lake Como - pretend I'm coasting in the grupetto in Il Lombardia.

Having lived overseas and gone through the hassle of flying with my bike back home, I can tell you that people underestimate how massive those bike bags actually are. If you dont have much other luggage then you can work around it but if you are carrying a large suitcase on top of the bike bag it makes getting around very tedious. I think if it’s a short trip then just rent a bike. 

I rent a bike when I’m rolling for 7 days or less; I travel with my own bike when I roll for more than 7 days - thereabouts. 

Enjoy beautiful Lake Como. Just remember 14 degrees at the southern tip of Mama Africa is not the same as 14 degrees in northern Italia.

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

Having lived overseas and gone through the hassle of flying with my bike back home, I can tell you that people underestimate how massive those bike bags actually are. If you dont have much other luggage then you can work around it but if you are carrying a large suitcase on top of the bike bag it makes getting around very tedious. I think if it’s a short trip then just rent a bike. 

100% - I normally travel alone so rent an SUV and drop the seats for the whole trip in order to stick the mtb and the bag in. Also only if renting at airport and dropping off at airport so minimal dragging bike about. 

With family, wouldn’t take a bike along, rather rent. 

2 hours ago, bigringing said:

Great link, thanks! I'm actually looking at some routes in and around Lake Como - pretend I'm coasting in the grupetto in Il Lombardia.

I was at Lake Garda last year for just over a week watching the Giro and riding some of those climbs. My word, what an absolutely stunning place to ride a bike. Garda and Como have bike rental shops on almost every corner of the town, it's a cycling mecca.

This was us in Greece last year. Two evoc bike bags, two hard sided medium sized suitcases and 2 carry ons in a Kia hatchback. There was zero extra room available - I had to get creative and take a wheel out of one of the bags and thread it in behind everything to make it fit. IMG_4820.jpeg.75268c425b538d025fb544cc67a746fb.jpeg

IMG_4822.jpeg.eb26378476d23d7c922fdc84dbf7b6e7.jpeg