Bike Check: Matt Beer's Cape Epic Winning S-Works Epic

News bot

18 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Not specifically, some riders like specific feedback from a bike, front end etc. some riders are more sensitive than others. Perfect example here in Basque post stage was feedback on a certain set of tyres used and rider has asked for a small change cause he wasn’t happy and confident on the feedback the bike gave him in a certain environment on the road due to the tyres. 
for me and you it makes no difference, go up a level or 15 it does. 
you are more than knowledgeable to know this!!

Matt likes his bike set up specifically and wants that feeling in a race. He was the same when he raced motocross and his then bike set ups. 

JohnO, Strings is probably a bit miffed because he cant get his hands on an 8, yet ... 🤪

PS:, i am sure the seals lasts, its just a pro setup and can probably be changed daily if they wanted too

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

49 minutes ago, stringbean said:

300k bike and the suspension seals can’t last a week of racing🙈🙈🙈🙈🙈

All the top riders bikes suspension is being rebuilt every second stage at least. They’re pushing those forks and rear shocks a lot harder than the guys completing the stage 30min slower and the relative abuse decreases exponentially from there. 
Dust gets in, water gets in, sweat gets in . Energy supplements gets into units. The o keep them working optimally at speed they get lower leg serviced every day with seal and oil replacements at lest every 3rd day. Its not uncommon or specific to thr bike or suspension brand

8 minutes ago, BMCfan said:

JohnO, Strings is probably a bit miffed because he cant get his hands on an 8, yet ... 🤪

PS:, i am sure the seals lasts, its just a pro setup and can probably be changed daily if they wanted too

Ya they can but mechanics have to sleep too 😂

10 minutes ago, BMCfan said:

Strings has more Spez bikes than Spez 

Just now, droo said:

Me, cos mine's got a valve core spanner on it.

I have one of those built into my tire lever

It's also different if you're racing vs riding. Aint nobody got time to deal with valve caps when you're looking for formula 1 pitt stop efficiency.

I saw the 18 second Buff Megamo wheel fix. They would spend at least 7 minutes looking for the valve cap that would inevitably be in a pocket or under a stone they had checked 34 times 

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

I have one of those built into my tire lever

It's also different if you're racing vs riding. Aint nobody got time to deal with valve caps when you're looking for formula 1 pitt stop efficiency.

I saw the 18 second Buff Megamo wheel fix. They would spend at least 7 minutes looking for the valve cap that would inevitably be in a pocket or under a stone they had checked 34 times 

Yeah, I'm never going to win a race so I go with what'll get me home. Calling an Uber is a massive blow to the ego of a mechanic.

Also I haven't used a tyre lever (on any of my own bikes anyway) in many years.

I have a core spanner on my wolftooth tyre lever as well and it’s nowhere near as efficient or fast as the valve cap mounted core spanner that I git from Enduroseal.

This sized bike will do nicely with 32" wheels. I find it surprising that no brands have yet created a bigger wheel for the larger frames. Beers would be even faster.

21 hours ago, babse said:

Edge 810? maybe thats why he pushing to finish his rides so quickly before his garmin dies

Ooops, seems there was a typo in the info supplied - it was an 840 😉

57 minutes ago, Mtbiker404 said:

This sized bike will do nicely with 32" wheels. I find it surprising that no brands have yet created a bigger wheel for the larger frames. Beers would be even faster.

Oh boy here comes 2008 all over again

1 hour ago, Kylie said:

Ooops, seems there was a typo in the info supplied - it was an 840 😉

👍🏼

can you also demystify the dropper post please. The XL ships with 170mm drop post but Matts looks like a 125mm drop.

we already know there’s a typo relating to the front brake rotor being a 180mm and the 160mm stated 

3 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Who uses valve caps? I'm more likely to make fun of someone WITH valve caps these days 

Colour coded valve caps !! :P

Maybe a dumb question, but this is the SWorks super bike launched about 10 days before the epic, right?

Did Matt get an advance model for training, or just jump on it after global launch and dial it in.

if the second, then was the global launch get tied to cape epic date?

Another dumb question, bike is not going to auction or whatever, this is his racebike now for the season (granted he's on a gravel program too)?