Stolen: Specialized Turbo Levo (orange) - without battery 2016 (Western Cape)

MTBAustria

It was definitely the bike in question, had it for sale for 25k. Said something about needing a new battery as the previous battery was faulty and did not work. Was active about 30min ago. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/18/2024 at 12:51 PM, The Ouzo said:

I wonder if any of the other stuff he sells is stolen

the way he goes into detail on the bike makes it look pretty legit

That description very much looks like a copy and paste from a spec page

On 4/18/2024 at 8:36 AM, Spinnaroonie said:

It gets even weirder when you click on the person's profile who sold it on FB. 

He likes this quote enough to slap it on his banner.

James 4:8 "come close to God and God will come close to you"

but more than that, he should be jailed for crimes against humanity with a weapon of mass destruction known as autotune.

Hello someone send me this thread. I bought this bike last week in stellenbosch off fb marketplace (obv have all proof),took it for a service at chris willemse and posted it today and was contacted by an unknown person saying the bike was stolen. I then removed the add. Can the owner please contact me. 

7 minutes ago, Jordan Van den heever said:

Hello someone send me this thread. I bought this bike last week in stellenbosch off fb marketplace (obv have all proof),took it for a service at chris willemse and posted it today and was contacted by an unknown person saying the bike was stolen. I then removed the add. Can the owner please contact me. 

@MTBAustria

35 minutes ago, Jordan Van den heever said:

This is why bikes get stolen, because there is someone else willing to buy from dubious sources but servicing and then reselling a week later, oef... 

My son Jordan bought the bike last week and only got a booking at CW yesterday, hence posting it today. Many people buy and sell of FB marketplace, it is rather common. The seller gave a legitimate history of the bike and my son thought it was a bargain because of the faulty battery. He is not out there to profit from stolen goods....

5 hours ago, Adeeb SSZA said:

It was definitely the bike in question, had it for sale for 25k. Said something about needing a new battery as the previous battery was faulty and did not work. Was active about 30min ago. 

This.

reeks of being caught red handed dealing in stolen goods. If you know about taking bikes to CWC for a service, and know about ebike batteries being faulty, you also know that if you are buying a spez e-bike in Kylemore for 4.5k, you are buying stolen sh!t!

i hope people get taught some serious life lessons out of this…

You see stolen stuff on FB marketplace all the time, it's always so plainly obvious, the price, the location , the ad wording. It sucks that people can sell like that with impunity on FB, reporting the ads does nothing and they can delete the ad without leaving a trace :(

2 hours ago, Jordan Van den heever said:

So your ad stated battery was faulty and buyers needed to get a new battery. Infact you bought it without a battery. So that was a BS story. A Levo for 4.5k and you snapped it up. Your ethics sux hope this becomes a lekker learning curve. 

Similiar happened to me , buyer thought nothing was amiss about buying a carbon road bike with ultegra components and PowerTap pedals for R5k from someone on the street , only came clean when he was placed under pressure by someone who showed him the stolen ad.. 

and called himself a cyclist- sickening 

18 hours ago, Jordan Van den heever said:

do I have the story straight?

@MTBAustria had his bike stolen, bike without battery but worth ~R50k(that's a guess but not really relevant)

* bike is found on FB marketplace for R4.5k, but listed as sold

* @MTBAustria gets the cops involved

* @Adeeb SSZA finds the same bike for sale on FB marketplace for R25k by @Jordan Van den heever

* ad is taken down once @Jordan Van den heever realised it is actually stolen.

* guessing @Jordan Van den heever saw $$$$ from a quick deal, and is now going to try negotiate with @MTBAustria

I have so many questions. 

17 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

@MTBAustria had his bike stolen, bike without battery but worth ~R50k(that's a guess but not really relevant)

* @Adeeb SSZA finds the same bike for sale on FB marketplace for R25k by @Jordan Van den heever

* guessing @Jordan Van den heever saw $$$$ from a quick deal, and is now going to try negotiate with @MTBAustria

Along as people buy the (50k)4.5k bikes the cycling community will suffer. The buyer is just as guilty as the guy that stole the bike.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

I think your questions actually imply their own correct answers.