How much bar rise is too much for a down country/ trail bike?

Since the last time i posted a forum i did quite allot of changes and upgrades to my bike, i also went on a skills training course and shortly after that {6 weeks ago} i broke my collar bone on a jump, i know i want new handle bars but i don't know how much i want to go for. I care more about the comfort and the down hills of riding. so how much rise should i go for?

Edited by Jp_perros
misspelling

1 minute ago, BaGearA said:

Go for a setup 

If still then no more than 25mm

and if i cant find stock is there a big difference between 25mm and 30mm?

1 hour ago, Jp_perros said:

and if i cant find stock is there a big difference between 25mm and 30mm?

about 5mm if sweep stays the same 

Seriously on a xc bike if you're fitting 30mm rise bars then something else is wrong.

my enduro bike has a low stack front end and my bar rise is 15mm 

Setup first

Depends very much where you handlebars are in relationship to your saddle. 

I used to ride my handlebars quite a bit lower than saddle, even on Enduro bike, but has steadily increased height over the past few years, to the point where Im running 30mm riser bars and want the handlebars as high as possible. 

The low handlebars only help on long flat roads, so unless you do that often, just go as high as possible. 

Also try a cheap high rise bar first and test it before committing to a expensive bar. You can get very cost effective bars from Rapide. 

Would width play a role in how high one could or should go ?
Similarly stem length.
What bar and stem are you currently running?
And what bike do you have ?

This is where the set-up that @BaGearA mentions makes sense.

And then, if not already done, flipping the step could help with height of the bars.

Edited by splat

1 hour ago, Kuys said:

I used to ride my handlebars quite a bit lower than saddle, even on Enduro bike, but has steadily increased height over the past few years, to the point where Im running 30mm riser bars and want the handlebars as high as possible. 

The low handlebars only help on long flat roads, so unless you do that often, just go as high as possible. 

Also try a cheap high rise bar first and test it before committing to an expensive bar. You can get very cost effective bars from Rapide. 

So basically the advice is to go for a bike fit for the purpose Jp wants to use it for. 

we don’t even have a picture of Jp on the bike or a video so how can we even suggest a process without a base line?

Jp get a bike fit done with a bike fit practitioner or a sports scientist that understands how to manipulate the fit in order to address your situation. 
Handlebar rise might not be the only consideration and you’re heading into a minefield of personal opinions

2 hours ago, Kuys said:

Also try a cheap high rise bar first and test it before committing to a expensive bar. You can get very cost effective bars from Rapide. 

Yes and no. Going to high means on steep climbs you won't have enough weight on the front wheel causing it to lift or be difficult steering. 

How long is a piece of string. I run 75mm rise bars on my enduro bike. It looks funny but I don't care because I'm tall and the head tube is stupidly short. It all depends...

22 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Yes and no. Going to high means on steep climbs you won't have enough weight on the front wheel causing it to lift or be difficult steering. 

Yes, this is exactly what happens to me with 38mm rise.

12 minutes ago, Super Sywurm said:

Yes, this is exactly what happens to me with 38mm rise.

That doesn't even happen to me with my 75mm bars. Mine are right yours are wrong 🙂