Bib Shorts going Transparent after relatively little use

JBK

I have mostly used cycling kit from Anatomic in Parys. I started cycling ±22 years ago just before I turned 40 and realised I was becoming a couch potato. I turned 61 in February this year.  Since then, I have never had any of the issues mentioned by others. The only time I had a bib go transparent, was with the aid of the road tar after being side-swiped by a car whose driver ignored a stop sign.😜

My cycling clothes are washed by my wife together with our other clothes, normal automatic washing powder and fabric softener added, not special treatment at all.

Maybe I do not cycle enough to get my bibs to wear through, last year I did about 150km short of 6000km for the year. My longest ride usually is the RideJoburg, and on weekends I cycle to Parys and back to Sasolburg, a distance of just over 80km.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, no calves said:

Just to throw another spanner in the mix:

What about IDT riding. I often find myself riding in a very wet bib even with a fan on etc. the natural cooling from riding outdoors keeps my clothes a lot dryer. even things like a simple sweatband on my wrists help keep my handlebars and towel over handlebars dry.

Back to the point: I wonder iff riding in salty corrosive wet bibs on the trainer does not help deteriorate fabric fibers.

Just my 2c 

I only use my old bibs on the IDT - once they've already gone see through...

Edited by JBK

I wonder if its not the hardness of the water in different areas thats causing the issue.

11 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

I’m using Ciovita’s indoor bibs , no issues of that nature for me . 

i must however point out that I have a pair of their new and current editions and the newer is a bit tighter! Must be the larger muscles in my thighs😜

nice and snug which is I guess is what you want for an indoor bib

Ciovita have major sizing discrepancies. You can buy 2 of the same size kits and the same design and they will fit differently. 

So many variables here, after all the tick boxes of the washing process are done. 
The fit and cut can be a big factor, if the fabric is at its extreme every ride the lycra will perish quicker regardless of the brand. My 2 cents. 

13 minutes ago, RaymondC said:

So many variables here, after all the tick boxes of the washing process are done. 
The fit and cut can be a big factor, if the fabric is at its extreme every ride the lycra will perish quicker regardless of the brand. My 2 cents. 

Agreed, the maximum stress is going to be at the seams and this is where the fabric “run” starts usually. Poor quality yarn is going to be the other cause.

13 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

dry salt crystals will be more erosive than wet sweat

But sweat does have an effect with all the salt, electrolytes etc ... if it can cause a reaction on paint, alloys etc. Then amongst other factors it must contribute to the breakdown of textile material? 

I've only had one pair of bibs ever start developing the dreaded window, but it seems more common for others.

17 hours ago, JBK said:

Did you read my post from start to end ? This is exactly the problem, I do use a wash bag, gentle wash, zero enzyme washing powder, etc.

This proves my point exactly that some people can look after bibs terribly and they'll never go see through whilst some of us treat them impeccably but they still go see-through in a relatively short space of time. 

I honestly think it's to do with percentage of salts, minerals, iron, magnesium, etc in some people's sweat. 

I think the quality of fabric is different .I have assos that i bought in 2012 still going strong .They become bleached by sunlight but fabric still good .I also  have pairs that are fine everywhere except a triangle above the shammy stitching that have worn very thin while the rest is still excellent .I thought it could be due to baggies that touch that area . Is there somebody that can repair these ?

I reckon it's purely quality of the lycra if you're cold water washing, no tumble dry, no direct sun. And I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to soak lycra.

In the last year I've bought a pair each of First Ascent, Cape Storm and Rapid Sport. The cheapest -- the Rapid Sport -- clearly have the thickest lycra when held up to the light.  I'm pretty sure they're going to last longest.

1 hour ago, Bub Marley said:

Ciovita have major sizing discrepancies. You can buy 2 of the same size kits and the same design and they will fit differently. 

I have only had one ciovita that developed a thin triangle above the shammy at the back .Two assos did the same .The assos were winter ones ,so maybe the fabric is different for warmer fabric .I find the new assos GT range to be robust . 

18 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

i won't buy another Assos or Ciovita till they address the matter consistently

So what brands then ? Castelli for me was even worse than the Assos although their new shorts seem to have differently designed panels that run horizontal instead of vertical. 

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

Does the bibs in question have a seam running down the lower back to chamois

nope 

32 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

But sweat does have an effect with all the salt, electrolytes etc ... if it can cause a reaction on paint, alloys etc. Then amongst other factors it must contribute to the breakdown of textile material? 

I've only had one pair of bibs ever start developing the dreaded window, but it seems more common for others.

Edited by DieselnDust