Indoor smart trainers - advise please

Spafsack

Hi everyone,

I have no idea what to look for. ๐Ÿ˜•

My 19 year old son has got bitten by the road bike badly, however, training at night, with lights, is freaking me out. Spending bucks on a gym with crap what bikes which don't work, bad saddle set ups, doesn't help either.

I would like to get him a smart trainer. I don't even know what to look for second hand, what is good, what should i stay away from. I see a few on market place, bike hub, ranging from 8k up to 16k. I don't want to make a mistake, like i always say, BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE.

Do most of these have all the sensors, like whats and so on? He has a Huawei gt3 watch, that's all, and when he is on the bike it works just fine. I would like the same data on the smart trainer, if not more. So guys, what should i look at, where are the specials, or point me in the direction of a good second hand deal.

PS, he has a spez sl6 tarmac 11 speed, will probably train mostly on that. Another PS, do all of these smart trainers connect to a normal tv, so you can do the swift thing, or are there monthly subs a person must pay depending on which brand or make you opt for?

If i can find a deal online and it has PayFlex or similar, i will maybe look at that, pay it off over 4 months.

ย  ย 

Thanx Chris, will check that out.

I see Sportsmans has the kickrย  for R12999, i think i can get the wellness discount, would this be a good start point into smart trainers? Its nota cheap 'entry level' but like i said, i would rather buy once and maybe i can use it as well.

32 minutes ago, Spafsack said:

I see Sportsmans has the kickrย  for R12999, i think i can get the wellness discount, would this be a good start point into smart trainers? Its nota cheap 'entry level' but like i said, i would rather buy once and maybe i can use it as well.

A kickr Core is a good option for getting into indoor training and the distributor have good service back-up. You just need to make sure it has an 11 speed cassette installed, as there are options on cassettes.

If you can afford it go with the kickr core or kickr. Going 2nd hand is certainly an option, but based on your post perhaps new with warranty will suit your needs better.

The trainer can be controlled with the the wahoo app or a range of garmin devices with no additional subscription. Apps like Trainerroad or zwift are not required but if desired can be used have an additional cost subscription.

It's an expensive purchase but a great training aid.

ย 

59 minutes ago, Spafsack said:

ย 

My Core is serving me well.

ย 

But you may end up needing a few bits and bobs .... why I linked the pain cave thread

ย 

ย 

Ant+ dongle ...

Think the Wahoo heart rate strap was an extra purchase ...

As was the cadence sensor ... (5 years ago, not 100% sure what was included, just recall running around for extra bits ...)

PC or similar to run Zwift or whichever app you go for.ย  Some of these are running serious graphics and require decent hardware ...

Maybe a dedicated screen ... (sure, a laptop can do the trick)

Decent fan

Secondhand bike is handy for a dedicated setup ...

Rubber mat .... plan for a lot of sweat on the floor !!

Table, bar chair or something to keep a few items nearby ...

I would go the new route - like the kickr Core - I seen lots of sorry tales of used units failing and no warranty - Kickr also dont seem to repair them so they simply offer you a new one = more money.

But ! its not just about having a smart trainer - there be some additional stuff you need to know an plan for

1. On the Kickr - the bike you will use on the trainer needs to have the Rear Derailleur adjusted as the cassette sits slightly inboard from the one on your riding wheel - Itsw a schlep if you use the same bike for outrides - I bought a cheap steel frame bike with 9 speed and have it permantly mounted on my IDT - 9 speed is more than enough for IDT.ย 

2. Decide which platform (app) you want to usae for training Zwift is the most popular but will set you back about 23 USD a month - But you can switch off your subscription for the months you not using it, so if you onlky use it in winter then the annual cost is not that much.

I've just moved over to MyWhoosh, which is similar to Zwift but not as great on the graphics, but it will give you the same training options - Its also free for now.

3. decide what device you will use to run the app - I run them all on my laptop which is actuallyย  gamming laptop so it runs no problem - but make sure the laptop you use has the capacity. Some guys run them on tablets mounted on the handlebars - I have a big ass 48" tv i cast my laptop screen to and have the TV mounted in front of the IDT.

4. Make sure whatever you using to run the app has Blue Tooth and or ANT+ connectivity so the trainer can connect to the app. Most devices have BT but not all have ANT+ (The Kickr has both) BT messes around a bit if you have too many devices that connect automatically - I use ANT+ on my laptop so i needed and ANT+ dongle that plugs into a usb port on the laptrop.

Once you get everything setup - it normally coonects very quickly, no messing about.

you also need to do the setup properly in the app to get the trainer brake to be as relaistic as possible - And thats a whole new rabbit hole you need to go down

organise a fan in front of the bike

good luck

13 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

ย 

My Core is serving me well.

ย 

But you may end up needing a few bits and bobs .... why I linked the pain cave thread

ย 

ย 

Ant+ dongle ...

Think the Wahoo heart rate strap was an extra purchase ...

As was the cadence sensor ... (5 years ago, not 100% sure what was included, just recall running around for extra bits ...)

PC or similar to run Zwift or whichever app you go for.ย  Some of these are running serious graphics and require decent hardware ...

Maybe a dedicated screen ... (sure, a laptop can do the trick)

Decent fan

Secondhand bike is handy for a dedicated setup ...

Rubber mat .... plan for a lot of sweat on the floor !!

Table, bar chair or something to keep a few items nearby ...

No longer need cad or speed sensors on the later trainers.

basically only HR monitor - Not sure if the watches connect i never owned one - use my Garmin 830

and ANT+ dongle - which givs the best connectionย 

2 hours ago, Spafsack said:

Kickr core is great. Only regret i have is that i cant sway from left to right as when climbing and sprinting. But instead of riding at night after work with lights on dangerous roads or not riding at all its such a dream come true. Connects via bluetooth or ant+ so if you got a phone laptop or tv with those it connects easily.ย 

For training get zwift at 400 bucks a month and a new world awaits.

2 hours ago, Spafsack said:

ย 

ย  ย 

ย 

10 hours ago, madmarc said:

No longer need cad or speed sensors on the later trainers.

basically only HR monitor - Not sure if the watches connect i never owned one - use my Garmin 830

and ANT+ dongle - which givs the best connectionย 

Thanx for the detailed information Marc!

Rabbit hole alert!

Like others have said you seem to prefer getting a new unit. The Core will be more than adequate.

You'll also want to get a fan. No need to go too big here. just a big ol manual fan and you are going to sweat A LOT so maybe a yoga mat as a cheap sweat collector

A nicely set up dedicated training area where the bike is set up and ready to go is always nice.ย 

Then comes the important bit. The software. Most of them have a 7-14 day trial period. I'd take full advantage of those before picking the one. IMHO Zwift is still the best and if I was training indoors all the time I'd suck it up and pay the subscription.

My wife and I current use mywoosh. It's a zwift knock off but it's free. for now. We used to have a TV in the garage and link a laptop to that to run the app on the laptop and youtube or whatever on the tele. The TV is now in my office as a third computer monitor so we use the laptop and a tablet.

This guy has LOADS of indoor cycling content

ย 

ย 

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Most of these have an evaluation period so you can have several months of free riding before committing

ย 

Massive fan is a must. I bought a R300 big fan from one of the China malls, works great in Durban heat. I also had problems with the PC setup, Zwift needs decent CPU to run and obviously good internet connection. A decent cell phone can run Zwift, but I had problems with the cellphone bluetooth to the big screen, seems to develop interference and not work properly, I think this was also CPU related (laptop was cheap). Now I use a big beast computer, no issues. The bigger the screen, the better.

Edited by Martin PJ

There are many apps to use with a smart trainer, but Zwift appears to be the most popular.

Sadly, after their recent price increase my monthly premium last month was R444.ย ๐Ÿ˜”