Downhill Riders,including current SA National Champ, overlooked for World Champs

On 7/17/2024 at 1:54 PM, rock said:

*was 1998 - he got 28th as a 16 year old

I was there in '98, and took some great pics that I wish I still had on file.

At that time I worked for a cycle shop that sold a brand that some of the internationals were racing, so we got "VIP" tickets.

What a day it was.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Sally E Kirk said:

Qualification through the National DH series is indeed possible, however the 4th race in the 2024 National Series was held in Limpopo on the 17th of June, this clashed with a World Cup race in Val di Sole, Italy and I don't see any SA elite rider (self-funded or sponsored) (at age 19, 20, or 29 if you want specifics), giving up the experience of racing at the most difficult track in the WC series to return to South Africa to participate in a National race held on a unchallenging, simplistic, dusty Enduro trail.

Not all of us have the deep pockets required to fund one European season for our riders, let alone provide a European base for them. Sponsorships for travel, accommodation, race entries, DH bikes etc take years to earn through exposure and top level performance.

Our upcoming Junior and young Elite riders require the ongoing support of their Federation both within SA and internationally.

And the first point above goes to show that CSA are out of touch with reality and the WC calendar too,  it seems. 

19 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

He owns Pivot Factory racing

Started it in 2012

Okay, you got it right now.

27 minutes ago, Sally E Kirk said:

Qualification through the National DH series is indeed possible, however the 4th race in the 2024 National Series was held in Limpopo on the 17th of June, this clashed with a World Cup race in Val di Sole, Italy and I don't see any SA elite rider (self-funded or sponsored) (at age 19, 20, or 29 if you want specifics), giving up the experience of racing at the most difficult track in the WC series to return to South Africa to participate in a National race held on a unchallenging, simplistic, dusty Enduro trail.

Not all of us have the deep pockets required to fund one European season for our riders, let alone provide a European base for them. Sponsorships for travel, accommodation, race entries, DH bikes etc take years to earn through exposure and top level performance.

Our upcoming Junior and young Elite riders require the ongoing support of their Federation both within SA and internationally.

Right so Val di sole that earns me bro kudos vs a simplistic enduro trail that gets me to World Champs….

a choice was made at that fork in the road and the consequence is now not enough points. 

Seems like I’d only have myself to blame. 
Also wasn’t Les gets initially outside the window for points accumulation and was only allowed into the points since riders were there? So clemency was already given…but they still didn’t qualify

I have no dog in this fight, heck I dont even recognise most of the names being thrown about, but as a general comment.

Would you, as a DH rider that has made the sacrifices and jumped through the hoops to qualify, be happy that someone that did not do any of that, gets a "free pass" just because there are slots available ?

Surely the mere fact that that could happen, will then make the next batch of riders next time around decide to no be bothered with qualifying, because they can gather the funds to fund themselves and grab a free slot.

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

a European base solves that  issue.

They do. It's called a Ford Transit. Usually 2 guys per transit. No fancy awnings. They mostly park/squat in them in a gravel parking lot just outside Morzine between races. They also wash in the river and use the public toilets at the lift stations for the necessary daily actions.

It's not nearly as glamourous as it sounds tho. Especially when it's been raining for a few days. There's 500 fast poms and ausies doing the same thing or working in chalets to finance their dreams of being the next GM. And that's just in that town.

From there they bounce around doing as many of the world cups and IXS races as they can before their 90 day visa or their money runs out and they have to come home.

I can't really comment on selection criteria but it's INCREDIBLY difficult for these guys to go to Europe every year and live in a van with a pathetic currency and try to race against guys that live there.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Still not worth paying for an airticket back to SA in the middle of the European season, logistically and financially makes no sense.

In the previous two years, all 4 SA National DH races were held prior to the Junior and Elite riders departing for Europe in late April/early May, for this exact reason - to accomodate the WC Series and to avoid unnecessary expense for riders and/or sponsors.  

Les Gets was included in the selection criteria at the last minute - why not stick to the orignal criteria as published in March 2024?  Why make an exception for this race and not show discretion/leniency on the other criteria?

10 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I have no dog in this fight, heck I dont even recognise most of the names being thrown about, but as a general comment.

Would you, as a DH rider that has made the sacrifices and jumped through the hoops to qualify, be happy that someone that did not do any of that, gets a "free pass" just because there are slots available ?

Surely the mere fact that that could happen, will then make the next batch of riders next time around decide to no be bothered with qualifying, because they can gather the funds to fund themselves and grab a free slot.

Definitely not a "free pass" and they are all jumping through the same selection criteria hoops - even Greg Minnaar with 26 years of international experience.  The group of DH riders concerned in this discussion do "bother" to qualify as far is realistically and financially possible.  

21 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

I can say with relative certainty that in DH riders support each other and would be happy to have as many fellow rider riding with them. This is not road racing.

42 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Right so Val di sole that earns me bro kudos vs a simplistic enduro trail that gets me to World Champs….

a choice was made at that fork in the road and the consequence is now not enough points. 

Seems like I’d only have myself to blame. 
Also wasn’t Les gets initially outside the window for points accumulation and was only allowed into the points since riders were there? So clemency was already given…but they still didn’t qualify

You're just being illogical now to avoid climbing off your high horse.  

14 minutes ago, Headshot said:

You're just being illogical now to avoid climbing off your high horse.  

Eish,….

I guess a lesson I life choices is illogical, part of being an adult is making tough choices. My above analogy refers. At the fork in the road there is a choice. One leads to the world champs that other to great memories but no WC. 

an adult weighs those choices and takes responsibility for their choice, not blame Others for the decision. Or disparage others  adults for pointing out where adulthood lies.

the real Learning is how to be adult. Can’t learn that at the World Champs…

2 hours ago, Headshot said:

And the first point above goes to show that CSA are out of touch with reality and the WC calendar too,  it seems. 

CSA was never in touch…. It’s always been a, us and them organisation! This goes way back. It requires a young injection of ideas and people who genuinely love the sport.

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

But a "free pass for everyone" is not the only alternative to "no one going"? 

As I have it there is no qualifying criteria from the UCI, for RSA 7 riders can be nominated by CSA. So all good for CSA to have criteria to make sure the best riders go, but if the criteria is so strict that we can only fill 1 of the 7 slots that is just dumb imo. Would like to think there are better solutions out there for the DH community.

3 hours ago, Headshot said:

Okay, you got it right now.

I did!

And it makes your post entirely incorrect.

You stated Kerr was a late bloomer at 36, but in reality he is 33 and he started his own team at the age of 21.

Minaar signed his first pro contract as a teenager. Not at 42.

Neither are late bloomers as you wanted to make us believe.

Anyway, I'm out. It's become a side quest of nonsense.

I went for a surf and I feel much better about life. 

Hope all of you have a wonderful weekend, whether you qualify to have one or not.

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I did!

And it makes your post entirely incorrect.

You stated Kerr was a late bloomer at 36, but in reality he is 33 and he started his own team at the age of 21.

Minaar signed his first pro contract as a teenager. Not at 42.

Neither are late bloomers as you wanted to make us believe.

Anyway, I'm out. It's become a side quest of nonsense.

I went for a surf and I feel much better about life. 

Hope all of you have a wonderful weekend, whether you qualify to have one or not.

How was the surf? Looked like a decent 3ft on the set

1 hour ago, DieselnDust said:

How was the surf? Looked like a decent 3ft on the set

It was rad

Big rain squalls overhead, clean, glassy sets peeling down the line with just me and one of my best mates on the peak. 

I'm no longer phased by the fact that no one has answered any of the questions on this thread with actual information, just emotional responses.