Downhill Riders,including current SA National Champ, overlooked for World Champs

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

DHI racing is not his only gig, but he knows his way down a hill.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7KLwsJMJky/

He does this stuff too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C7mzMjcMn7y/

so your metaphor crashes rather quickly.

riiiiiight so I focus on DHI and yo introduce another category of event to claim y metaphor  crashed...

must be Friday logic.

different skill sets as Morne mentioned. Keep it focussed. The discussion is around DHI.

9 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Is this the same Theo that has ridden Dark Fest and Hardline?

Keep it focussed on DHI please. His general talent as a rider is not under discussion. He's been national champ in DHI many times but as also says our national level is F3 not F1.

31 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Keep it focussed on DHI please. His general talent as a rider is not under discussion. He's been national champ in DHI many times but as also says our national level is F3 not F1.

I'm afraid you don't get to moderate what people say on a public forum.

Theo has carved out a unique Niche for himself and should be applauded IMO. There's MAYBE 5 people on the planet that can ride darkfest, hardline and compete at a world cup level. Brendan Fairclough has retired and Kade Edwards has stepped away from racing. So by my reckoning that leaves Theo and Kaos Seagrave.

He's also the only SA gravity guy apart from Greg who makes an actual living from riding his bike.

That guy is a hero and your attacks on him make you look mean spirited and a little pathetic

*Discalimer. I'm a MASSIVE Theo fan ever since I saw him sending the Tokai road gap on a fubar Turner Burner in jeans and a shitty green moto lid aged 12.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Lots of crossover in the gravity disciplines between DH, free ride, enduro etc … obviously athletes need to focus in an area, that also balances out with meeting sponsorship obligations and what not in order to fund a season. 

14 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Theo has carved out a unique Niche for himself and should be applauded IMO. There's MAYBE 5 people on the planet that can ride darkfest, hardline and compete at a world cup level. Brendan Fairclough has retired and Kade Edwards has stepped away from racing. So by my reckoning that leaves Theo and Kaos Seagrave.

He's also the only SA gravity guy apart from Greg who makes an actual living from riding his bike.

That guy is a hero and your attacks on him make you look mean spirited and a little pathetic

*Discalimer. I'm a MASSIVE Theo fan ever since I saw him sending the Tokai road gap on a fubar Turner Burner in jeans and a shitty green moto lid aged 12.

it does not surprise me that you attempt to devolve the conversation into a j'accuse, i.e. me of being mean toward Theo despite my admiration for what he has achieved. I have nothing against him on any level despite your little clique's attempt to paint that picture. Pretty childish.

The topic of discussion I'm focussed on is qualification for World Championships while his "supporters" have only played the man, be that CSA or anyone who disagrees with their point of view, and tried to draw the reader into the emotive space that a talented rider(s) is/are being persecuted when the position they find themselves in is of their own doing. At no point have they even acknowledged their role in their position.

I'm sure Theo Rory and co will all qualify next year as they find a way to navigate the qualification criteria and get the number of points required. I'm also sure CSA will take their concerns into account and amend the points structure, but they are never going to send 6 or 7 males and female for every category to Worlds. The criteria is always going to aim for the top 2 or 3 riders and the selection criteria as it stands, aims to achieve that.

So I agree that it's silly to even suggest Theo can't ride. (I don't think anyone did, it was a comparison between the top DH guys and him, not his ability to actually ride it)

The dude is amazing, his ability to ride Darkfest and Hardline etc is phenomenal

I'll ask, how many guys who rode hardline and  Darkfest are going to DH world champs? I really mean that. It would be an interesting comparison here

As has been discussed, they are VERY different skillsets. 

I'll also point out that a lot of the videos and quotes are from guys who are friends of the guys not going, so the narrative will always be swayed that way. It's very difficult to get an impartial view on this as there seems to be no real ability for those on one side to see the other. Both ways.

It's a dead end argument and the only way to fix it is for DH to make a stand formally and sit with CSA to come up with a solution going forward

It's not an easy thing to do, but it will take a very formal sit down with academic things to be looked at. 

People throwing insults at each other on here isn't going to change anything. I've seen a few names of those past/experienced riders with influence who could get together with each other and CSA in order to make sure those deserving of going are selected. 

The hurdles and inaccessible availability of development in DH are also not a reason for sending a team of Eric the Eals to World Champs. (I'm not suggesting we would be)

There 'should' be a balance between the academic qualification and what that actually is. It seems that isn't there currently but it won't change unless people step up and make the changes. 

Headshot, Sally, Pottie etc.... get together, use your passion to make a change OFFICIALLY with CSA

4 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

it does not surprise me that you attempt to devolve the conversation into a j'accuse, i.e. me of being mean toward Theo despite my admiration for what he has achieved. I have nothing against him on any level despite your little clique's attempt to paint that picture. Pretty childish.

The topic of discussion I'm focussed on is qualification for World Championships while his "supporters" have only played the man, be that CSA or anyone who disagrees with their point of view, and tried to draw the reader into the emotive space that a talented rider(s) is/are being persecuted when the position they find themselves in is of their own doing. At no point have they even acknowledged their role in their position.

I'm sure Theo Rory and co will all qualify next year as they find a way to navigate the qualification criteria and get the number of points required. I'm also sure CSA will take their concerns into account and amend the points structure, but they are never going to send 6 or 7 males and female for every category to Worlds. The criteria is always going to aim for the top 2 or 3 riders and the selection criteria as it stands, aims to achieve that.

So this person hacked your account and posted it?

image.png.607622ff942a8478888b919da6b3b2a1.png

58 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

You're happy to be a hypocrite too. Frankie and Ethan have no real prospect of a medal but you keep hammering on about one oke. Anyone would think that you and Wakefield have some kind of personal issue with the guy, indeed any "DH Bros". Its hilarious.

2 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

So this person hacked your account and posted it?

image.png.607622ff942a8478888b919da6b3b2a1.png

nope I wrote that and it is a relative comparison but maybe you're having a sensitivity moment? I don't know but it appears that you're childishly spoiling for a fight.

Have a lekker ride before the storm comes in.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

Question -

How many riders take part on a typical UCI event, and how many qualify ?

Depending on the venue, the field can be about 160+ riders for the Elite men category - top 60 fastest qualify for the semi-final, top 30 from the semi go into the final.  This has been the format for 2023 and 2024 since sponsorship changed from Redbull to Discovery+. 

46 minutes ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Well said - #lettheboysride

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

And GM is on video with Rob Warner on the lip of the road gap at the bottom,  saying redbull hardline is above his paygrade 🤷🏻‍♂️

These guys all have differing skillsets

Agree they all have different and skilled skillsets. Some of those skills are not qualifying but backflips are. 

*I'll take my own coat on the way out*

1 minute ago, Headshot said:

You're happy to be a hypocrite too. Frankie and Ethan have no real prospect of a medal but you keep hammering on about one oke. Anyone would think that you and Wakefield have some kind of personal issue with the guy, indeed any "DH Bros". Its hilarious.

Frankie and Ethan Q..U...A..L...I..F..I...E.....D..... and were selected so yes they get support.

3 hours ago, Headshot said:

I don't know why people go on and on about medals. There's only 3 medals. If it was only about medals there would be 6 frenchies, 2 poms, and american and an aussie racing.

There are guys from Bulgaria, Turkey and other countries that are going to go to worlds and praying that they can clear all the features and are within a minute of the winners time. For them that will be the crowning achievement of years and years of work. And I GUARANTEE you there isn't a bikehub Turkey (The country) dissing their efforts.

I honestly don't get it.

Edited by Duane_Bosch