Deep section wheels...

T-Bag

Rumours rumours' date=' I used 2 water bottles - but was prepared for 6-hours, so I had some water left when we did less than 6-hours.
[/quote']

Prepared for the worst case scenario - no faith in his team!!

more like no faith in myself. Ouch

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw that in the Telkom satelite Robert Hunter used a pair of equinox, so it cannot be that bad. They sell between 6 and 7000 per pair. In that price range you can also look at Token, they go for about 7000 per pair.

Hi

I want to buy myself a nice Christmas gift' date=' a pair of deep section wheels...

Whice must I go for??? 
[/quote']

You got to ask a bit more when deciding!!!

How much do you want to spend. carbon wheels range from around R6000-30K+....

Me personally  would rather ride a pair of High end alu. wheels than lowend budget carbons .You have to look at your level of racing, I believe you dont get the full value of the wheel if its in a clincher version compared to tubby. But puncturing with a tubby is costly and it could mean the end of your race.

If you want to improve the quality of your ride then tubby wheels are the way to go.

If you got the mulla and ride campy than go for Bora's or Zipps. If you ride Shimano the I'll go for the new deep section Dura-Ace or the Bontrager Auelos 6.5 wheels .

If you on a budget , have a look for a good second hand pair rather than spending your hard earned cash on a cr@p set of low ends.Smile

Sorry......could not resist........

ZIPPS RULE!!!!

20061213_013646_DSC06581.JPG

ClapClapClapvery nice Spidey!!!! Looks almost to good to get dirty.Big%20smile I'd love to no how much your Mr Min account is per month.LOL

<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Online Status: Offline

Posted: 20 Nov 2006 at 4:59pm

Amoryn,

You could probably pick up a set of these Carbon Equinox wheels brand new for R6500. There are three profiles of the wheel. Trust me it is not a bad price for a brand new carbon wheel as I have been looking around myself.

Cyclelab is advertising them for R8099 => http://www.supercycling.co.za/default.asp?id=195647&des=article&scat=supercycling/cyclelabnews

But let me tell you that is a BIG rip off as they can be picked up brand new for R6500.

There is no glory in training, but without training there is no glory...

IP Logged

Sonic
Domestique

Location: <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Gauteng
Online Status: Offline

Posted: 20 Nov 2006 at 5:07pm

Originally posted by epoh

Amoryn,

You could probably pick up a set of these Carbon Equinox wheels brand new for R6500. There are three profiles of the wheel. Trust me it is not a bad price for a brand new carbon wheel as I have been looking around myself.

Cyclelab is advertising them for R8099 => http://www.supercycling.co.za/default.asp?id=195647&des=article&scat=supercycling/cyclelabnews

But let me tell you that is a BIG rip off as they can be picked up brand new for R6500.

I also saw those at the expo Epoh, do you know if they have a website? Cause i wouldn't mind knowing how much they weigh...

After lots of research for my own xmas present I decided on a set of Reynolds DV Stratus wheels, you get these in clincher and tubby versions and I decided to go for my first set of tubby rims................

The Reynolds wheels are light AND strong - people use them for cyclo-cross - and the price is half that of a set of Bora's. A set pulls the scale at 1250 grams.http://i17.ebayimg.com/05/i/06/4a/03/39_1.JPG

Nowhere on the web did I read about a Reynolds set that delaminated or simply came apart - I did read this about the most popular carbon wheels...........

Simply put, the Reynolds DV wheelset is the best value for money for a high end carbon wheel that gives you great strength, low weight and the aero advantage you're looking for.

They sell for 12,5K for the DV tubbies. The clincher version will be more, as well as the Ultra Light version (which weigh in at 1120 grams for the set) 

But puncturing with a tubby is costly  

How does one fix a punctured tubby? You surely don't throw it away and buy a new one? Dead

BaieSukkel, good choice! Been looking at those for a while, the rims are made by the guys who do the Carbon fibre stuff for the Mclaren F1 team, awesome stuff!

Have you considdered HED wheels. Lance Armstrong endorses them very well.  He won 7 Tours de France on HED wheels. Bontrager uses their rims too. HED stinger 50's will put you back R12700.00 and they look good and boy are they fast. Good back up seeing that Cervelo SA imports them. If you are looking for clinchers HED Alps at the same price. Much cheaper than R18 000.00 for a set of ZIPPS and it works as good if not better. The R12700.00 for HED's includes Scewers and valve extentions other than ZIPP who charges extra for those on top of R18000.00.

But puncturing with a tubby is costly  

How does one fix a punctured tubby? You surely don't throw it away and buy a new one? Dead

Ive heard in the old days they used to unstitch the seem and pull the tube out and repair them. But these days I think tubbies are made a bit different cause I dont see any stitching , I also dont know anybody thats tried and been successfull at repairs. So every puncture one gets , sets you back around R500.Ouch