Fizik Arione vs. Selle Italia SLR

Dr. Seuss

I was happy with my SLR for a year, rode many happy miles on it, including some 7 hour rides. I have a Arione too, I find it OK, but not great.

My racing position seems to have chanded a bit, and for some reason the SLR started killing me, when I race. I seem to be siting more on the nose of the saddle when tacing. Arione was no better. Trying out a new Flite at present.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got an SLR XP yesterday from CWC at R699!!!  Tried it out this morning and went sliding all over the place!  Replaced my Selle Italia Octavia (cheap cr@p) that was on the bike as it had disintegrated, but I am still struggling with the setup. Got it pointing slightly downward to keep me from sliding off.  Will report back, but first impressions are good even iff the road feels slightly more bumpy.

Kan n mens rerig prostatitis (spelling?) kry van so harde saal soos die slr 135gr Kriek2007-11-02 02:45:56

Saddles are a very personal thing.

But it seems that there are less people that can actually sit on and enjoy the selle italia slr's

I personally had an slr xp on the mtb and tried it for about four months and as a previous poster stated "desperately wanted to like it" but alas it was not to be.

anything longer than about 2 hours and I was in serious pain.

sold it and got myself a Fizik Gobi and it was instant pleasure. no more hotspots and no more pain.

The Gobi is more of a hammock type saddle that is longer and more rounded with more positions. The slr is very flat with one position to sit.

I guess it all depends on the structure of your sitbones.

Quite correct CaptainDura, dem bones will dictate.  Seems I have SLR bones cause my new SLR is purrfect.  Apart from initially sliding off it last week, it seems to do the trick.  I need to do some long rides to confirm it, but my experience is that I haven't noticed my saddle.  Which is exactly wat you I from a saddle!

Got an SLR XP yesterday from CWC at R699!!!  Tried it out this morning and went sliding all over the place!  Replaced my Selle Italia Octavia (cheap cr@p) that was on the bike as it had disintegrated' date=' but I am still struggling with the setup. Got it pointing slightly downward to keep me from sliding off.  Will report back, but first impressions are good even iff the road feels slightly more bumpy.[/quote']

The way I test if the saddle is "level" is to ride with your hands off the bars. You will quickly feel if you want to slide forward or backwards.

The way I test if the saddle is "level" is to ride with your hands off the bars. You will quickly feel if you want to slide forward or backwards.

With today's shaped saddles with cut-outs etc, it takes quite a bit of fine tuning to get the correct "level" on the saddle. Years ago it was simply a matter of using a spirit level. I normally start with a spirit level in the center and have it tilted slightly downwards at first and then tweak it during the ride. 

Had the same debate between the Arione & the SLR with myself recently when I changed the stock saddle on my roadbike.

Eventually chose the SLR and must say that I'm quite happy with it.