Time Trial Stats

Jean-Jay

Still wanting to know what power you use to calc this stat and what test you do to get this power number? Anyone?

Does no one want to answer this question?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still wanting to know what power you use to calc this stat and what test you do to get this power number? Anyone?

Let me see if I got this right.

firstly you need to go an do a power test by places Like Bikemax or i was lucky enough to have Bruce help me. There you'll do a test to see what you Functional threshold power is . this will help you see at what level you training at . but of course you'll need a power tool such as a powertap hub or Srm's or ergomo.

this test wiil determine how much power you can maintain for 20min , which is like your max power

Lets say you can maintain 360Watts and you weigh 75kg then your power to weight ratio is the difference between the two which would be 4.8W/kg.

or somthing like that. Confused

But what power test is the correct one to you use to calc your power to weight ratio?

Okay, there are different energy systems in your body, so you actually need to look at the power you achieve at different durations.

5 sec power = neuromuscular power

1 minute power = anaerobic

5 minute power = power at VO2Max, which is the ceiling of aerobic power

60 minute power = sustainable aerobic power (functional threshold)

For each of these durations you would have a certain power capability.  From this you can see whether you are a good sprinter, pursuiter, time-trialer etc etc because each of these disciplines places emphasis on different energy systems.

Best test to use - ride as hard as you can for the appropriate duration!

Let me see if I got this right.

firstly you need to go an do a power test by places Like Bikemax or i was lucky enough to have Bruce help me. There you'll do a test to see what you Functional threshold power is . this will help you see at what level you training at . but of course you'll need a power tool such as a powertap hub or Srm's or ergomo.

this test wiil determine how much power you can maintain for 20min ' date=' which is like your max power

Lets say you can maintain 360Watts and you weigh 75kg then your power to weight ratio is the difference between the two which would be 4.8W/kg.

or somthing like that. Confused
[/quote']

Strictly speaking, you should take 95% of your 20 minute power to be your functional threshold power.  In your case 101%, you were pretty fatigued having ridden a lot before the test, and on the day of the test, so your true ftp would probably be pretty close to your 20 minute power.

The reason why a 20 min TT is used instead of a 60min one, is that most amateur cyclists would have a lot of difficulty pacing a 60 minute TT without either underdoing or overdoing it.

Then which power to weight ratio are we talking about above then?

-- Ok, so it's the 20 min test, what is the use of the 20km test then?

Hey guys, Bikemax or CVANC will know the most about this stuff, they could definately help.

To give u an idea, I averaged 267 watts on the cycleops bike last night during my 20 minute time trial. My watts / kg for that effort was 3.4watts/kg so that then is strictly speaking my power to weight ratio. I weigh 76.5kg.

They say if u can maintain 4watts/kg then ur a very good league rider. If ur doing 5+ u could race pro in our country - maybe a bad pro overseas Wink

If ur 6+ Tour de France here u come!!!!!

I think.

They use to do 20km time trials at bike max on the older bikes, now they do 20 minute time trials on the new ones - kinda glad they do that cos the new bikes are definately harder than the old ones.

I reckon what ever ur testing device is (bike) i think the trick is to use the same one everytime so that ur results are accurate.

I think if we can all achieve 4 watts/kg (thats what i am aiming for) then i think ur set!!!! and will do very well here in our leagues.

Bruce ,in your opinion?

What would be a race winning power to weight ratio in the Vets cat?All other things being equal.

Bikemax's preferred way of establishing ftp is to do 3 tests and use the Monod Critical Power curve, which is a spreadsheet that requires 3 different figures for a power at some duration.  So, let's say you would do 3 minutes, 6 minutes, and 20 minutes.  From that the spreadsheet gives you a curve from which you can derive whicher duration you want e.g. 60 minutes.

20 min TT is about 95% of ftp, 20km TT is probably a little closer to ftp.  Both tests will give you a pretty good ballpark for where your ftp is at.  After that, training and racing with a PM will allow you to assess whether you have underestimated or overestimated.  IN any case, it will only be by a few %.

Bruce ' date='in your opinion?

What would be a race winning power to weight ratio in the Vets cat?All other things being equal.
[/quote']

In the races that I have done top 5, and been part of the winning move, my power to weight at ftp has been around 4.35 w/kg.

So, for a race like the Dischem Classic (in which I came 3rd), I have an average (normalised) power of 315watts for the race (about 2h30) and I weigh 77kg so for the race I did around 4.1 w/kg for the entire duration.  In this race I was in a 3 man break for about 40km.

Bruce ' date='in your opinion?

[/quote']

In the races that I have done top 5, and been part of the winning move, my power to weight at ftp has been around 4.35 w/kg.

So, for a race like the Dischem Classic (in which I came 3rd), I have an average (normalised) power of 315watts for the race (about 2h30) and I weigh 77kg so for the race I did around 4.1 w/kg for the entire duration.  In this race I was in a 3 man break for about 40km.

In my experience, the strongest vet riders are putting out around 5 w/kg at threshold.

Then which power to weight ratio are we talking about above then?

-- Ok' date=' so it's the 20 min test, what is the use of the 20km test then?
[/quote']

Titus

Any of the tests will only give you power to weight at that duration. From that result you can estimate / extrapolate power at other durations.

The gold standard is FTP or 60 minute power - you can estimate this many ways but either a 20 min or 20 km TT are fine.

Generally when people refer to p/w numbers they are referring to power at threshold.

Not a useful number ... better to compare power to weight ratios. "average" cyclist ... open to interpretation.

Bottom line ... if you have a P/W ratio above 5.0 you are more likely to be on a bike at the moment in your sponsors kit than chatting on the Internet.

I'd give my left you no what for that kinda power ratio !!Confused

Do tell... what was your p/w ?

I'll bet you are close to 5w/kg when in form (Robby was at 350w and 70kg last year at the tours)

Where about in the JHB area could you go and get these sorts of tests done??

Your best bet might be to borrow a PT and do the test on the road - power to weight is really only of use to you as a key to estimate training zones if using power (otherwise it is just a comparator)

You could always ask Bruce or 101% to ride up a 20 min climb at theshold and see if you can stay with them Wink

Guest Michelle
BikeMax: Any idea what sort of ratio the pro ladies are pushing?