Anyone swim here?

_Daemon_

Ja BB - That was the pits falling out and having to swim with canoe to the side, my fist canoe tri in 1989 at Baberspan the side was so far away that while "swimming thanks to a speedboat" I could not see which way to swim - where the closest side of the dam was - eventually got rescued by another speedboat.

Ei 10 Canoe IM's Clap so you know Rockley, Henk, Eddie (King) on a fist name basis Wink

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yip, Rockley Montgomery was there in my early years, then Henk came along, Ben Jansen van Vuuren (probably the friendliest Triathlete I ever met!) and even Nick Bester (probably exactly the opposite of Ben but ja that was only my experience!).

Eddie was before my time though! Went through the Hartebeespoortdam original Ironman with Hekpoort etc. through the one to Sun City and finally off to Vanderbijlpark.

Managed a silver at the Vanderbijlpark one in 1999, did it all in the run!

Yes I was once helped by some friendly okes on a cat to get back in (sssshhhh though remember no outside assistance was allowed!).

Yes I was once helped by some friendly okes on a cat to get back in (sssshhhh though remember no outside assistance was allowed!).

Tried 4 times for a silver but always lost it on the run - so hand it over and I wont tell anyone

Forgot about Ben Jansen - yeah he was really friendly and a great talent. As they all were...

Swimming not my strong point! I kinda swim about as well as a potted plant. I drop to the bottom with my arms waving above me in a panic.

I used to swim competitively, but that was ages ago. 

So decided to begin swimming again about two weeks back - it is excellent excercise and great for a bit of cross training.

Some days i just stay in the pool for 3-4hours...love the water almost as much as i love my bike!

Exactly why I took the canoe option, at least in a canoe if you got tired you could just float around, when you swim, if you tired you stop swimming you drown!

Best place to practice getting back into a boat is in the middle of False Bay... believe me, you learn very quickly *theme song of Jaws playing in the backround*

Fell out of a single kayak during an Adv race there (very choppy sea) and I don't think I got wet Shocked... not that a shark would have been able to find me in the murky water all around my boat!

Occassionaly' date=' when I fall out of my K1. Big%20smile [/quote']

you aren't meant to fall out damnit! and if you do, why do you need to swim - hang on to the boat!!!! Wink

Har har SP - have you tried getting back into a K1 in the middle of a dam or where you cannot stand - requires great balance, skill, cunning and luck.

'specially if the canoe is a racing canoe - not a barge..Big%20smile

Big%20smile

Thanks SwissVan, SP I haven't yet mastered the art of getting back into a K1 whilst in the middle of a dam, so its easier to swim back to the side. LOL

Now my K2 is another story, that's like a lounge chair, so it shouldn't be that much of a problem, but then again I shouldn't fall out of that. Wink

Just got back...damm, arms and stomach muscles are poked! Quite enjoyed it, reckon I am going to wear my polar tomorrow to see how different my heartrate is compared to cycling, all I know is it worked me...quite surprised about how much it works your stomach muscles.

bwahahahahahaha Buff, i can picture that... "it's a miracle... he's walking on water".... etc!

Thug, i just mastered the art of hanging on to the boat till i get dragged back in if it's a k2, in a k1 i've mastered the art of re-grabbing it each time i don't manage to get back in until luck favours me and i succeed... either way i still don't swim much.... too much hanging onto boat and paddle! LOL

(okokok, i'll let you know when/if i go paddling again so that you can have a good laugh... should bring a good chuckle to any spectator for months afterwards!)

Guest colonel

At school a few of us swam from Robbin Island to Sea Point to raise funds for our Waterpolo Tour. We did it in 2H58 or something.

At school a few of us swam from Robbin Island to Sea Point to raise funds for our Waterpolo Tour. We did it in 2H58 or something.

every day you just seem crazier and crazier!Wink

Well, Ironman os closing in on me. So next week is 2 3km sessions, the week after that 2 3.5 and after that 2 x 4 OuchCryDead   Big%20smile

Cervelo are you swimming in the Coronation dam in Krugersdorp? Last Saturday there were people swimming with wetsuits and they said that they training for Ironman. I train for the Midmar at the moment and are doing 2km 3times a week.