Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

You guys should come ride in Somerset west...nooo problems that I know of so far!!

Sir Lowrys Pass village is worth keeping away from though

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Benny 748, you are responding to posts posted in 2009.  Quite possible that things have changed in the odd 8 years from then.

Sir Lowrys Pass village is worth keeping away from though

Ummm no. With the new bike park things have been great. It is WELL worth it to ride the bike park there.

Ummm no. With the new bike park things have been great. It is WELL worth it to ride the bike park there.

And yet my mate got robbed on the parking lot there.

It's all a moot point now after the fire thoufh, but we'll see how things change ito safety there after the rebuild.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like Rhodes Memorial is also a Danger Area of late!

Hi, want to take the mountain route to work every day - Newlands to CBD 7h00 and home about 16h00 - is that risky on my own? Claire

Hi, want to take the mountain route to work every day - Newlands to CBD 7h00 and home about 16h00 - is that risky on my own? Claire

by your name you sound female? I wouldn't do it on my own as a male, but there are those who do.

That is my backyard ride. It has been quiet for the past year or so, with few or no incidents. But a large part of the route is very lonely and I would advise that you ride with a group. I think the likelyhood of getting mugged (or worse) is very small, but I would not want my wife to do that on her own.

Edit: There are others doing that commute, see if you can link up.

Edited by DJR

That is my backyard ride. It has been quiet for the past year or so, with few or no incidents. But a large part of the route is very lonely and I would advise that you ride with a group. I think the likelyhood of getting mugged (or worse) is very small, but I would not want my wife to do that on her own.

Edit: There are others doing that commute, see if you can link up.

Thanks. 

Anyone want to commute from Newlands to CBD Tuesdays and Thursdays? Maybe more often if works out efficiently.

Mornings leaving Newlands about 7.15am (need to check how long ride from SACS school onto path).  Leaving CBD 4pm (again must check how long from office to path).

we a group of about 3-7 guys every day riding to to the CBD, we get to the gate around 6:30 and from then till about about 8:30 there are lots of riders out there, to do it alone you should be okay but be vigilant, if you see anything/one that looks suspect, suck it up, turn around and take main road!

but generally its safe!

we a group of about 3-7 guys every day riding to to the CBD, we get to the gate around 6:30 and from then till about about 8:30 there are lots of riders out there, to do it alone you should be okay but be vigilant, if you see anything/one that looks suspect, suck it up, turn around and take main road!

but generally its safe!

Claire, try and hook up with the Meezo group ... he is an "ok guy", so you would be in good hands.

Claire, try and hook up with the Meezo group ... he is an "ok guy", so you would be in good hands.

haha, thanks for the vote of confidence there... :D

It's probably fine in the mornings, but more risky in the afternoons.

(I like to think that the 'baddies' arent up and about particularly early)

• 2 weeks later...

haha, thanks for the vote of confidence there... :D

Thanks guys. Sounds good! 

Now I just need to find a replacement bike after mine was stolen (inside locked garage, chained to pillar) in January. Looking for 29 / dual suspension and checking the ads daily.

Do you ride back in the afternoons? need to get to Newlands latest 4.30pm

Thanks guys. Sounds good! 

Now I just need to find a replacement bike after mine was stolen (inside locked garage, chained to pillar) in January. Looking for 29 / dual suspension and checking the ads daily.

Do you ride back in the afternoons? need to get to Newlands latest 4.30pm

bummer to hear about your bike

i do yes, but i only leave work at 4.50pm however there are guys that leave that time ie numbers/riders on the mountain

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering if a new topic is the way to go with my post but thought I would post it here all the same just to get the "wheels" turning.

While training this morning to Suikerbossie we (a friend and me) decided to use the harbor road instead of the bike path. We were turned away at the entrance to the harbor, where it was made clear to us that we need a "pass" to enter the harbor.

Now I am all for following the rules but thought perhaps it better if PPA could apply for cyclists to be allowed to use the harbor road to gain access to the CBD, waterfront etc. This way it could be a "blanket pass" for all cyclists who opt for the harbor road instead of the bike path. We all know how dangerous that infernal bike path is.

PPA care to comment?